Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Having a P0335 issue

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having a P0335 issue

Okay so about 6-7 days ago I had a P0401 code for the EGR system. The next day I was looking under the hood and found the hose that had come off. I had reattached the hoses. I was following the hoses to make sure that they were still attached at their source. I went from the driver side over to the passenger side just to ensure the hoses were good. I had my hand under the intake manifold, I forgot to mention that I like an idiot I still had the battery connected and the car on with the radio playing, I heard two small sparks while my hand was under the manifold. I took my hand out and looked for any spark marks or loose wires. I couldn't find any. So I got back into the car to start it up and nothing. No turn over. I get back under the hood and disconnect the EGR hoses and again nothing. This time I get a CEL. I use my COBB AccessPORT to check it. It was a P0335 crank position sensor circuit.

I checked all the fuses related to the engine and they all appear good. I read the battery at only 10.88v but before the sparking incident it was reading between 12v-14v.

If you look at the plug behind the cam gear cover between the intake manifold, I oriented it as a wall socket with the side with two prongs as the top and the one with the single prong as the bottom. The same goes for the side of the connector that goes back to the battery and ecu; the side with the two holes is the top and the side with one is the bottom. I have used a volt meter to check the resistance and volts on both sides of the plug going to and from the sensor.

On the side going to the sensor I have a resistance reading of 10.95ohms with a setting of 20k. I was touching the red/positive tester to the upper left prong going to the sensor and the black/negative tester to the upper right prong. All other combinations get no result.

I then checked the resistance between the plug side that goes back to the battery; the upper left got a reading of 3.95ohms, upper right got 0ohms and the single side bottom got a reading of 0.08ohms. This was all done with the red tester touching the plugs and the black tester touching the negative terminal of the battery, and the volt meter set to 20k.

I looked at the volts for the connection between the plug and the battery. All the plugs got a reading of 10.7v when the red tester is touching the battery terminal and the black tester is touching any of the plugs. This is all done while the car was off and the volt meter set to 20v dc.

I recently had new cams installed and the car dyno tuned. But I drove the car back fine and had no issues with it for about a week. So I don't think that is related but can't be positive.

Any suggestions: starter, battery, sensor, anything please let me know.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 02:08 PM

have you checked for voltage at the ignition plugs?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 04:00 PM

how many volts should they read?
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:41 PM

Okay so i think i figured it out. i unplug the sensor and checked the voltage coming and going from the ecu and everything read good; ~12v and ~5v. i plug in the sensor and instead of the ~12v and ~5v it should read everything reads the same. every single wire read the same as the battery voltage. i even tried to do what was suggested and ground the sensor to the chassis. no start still. i'm thinking that this means the sensor is bad.