Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Unofficial Quatermaster Twin disk review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2009, 02:11 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Qm lasted 20K miles first time before it needed a rebuild and I rebuilt it again at 12K, I had their old style TB which was very difficult to drive and made alot of noise and it didn't bother me at all. The new style TB is much easier to drive and less noisy as already stated. The clutch supports any power level, and is quite easy to get use to.

The weight difference from QM and Exedy quite huge 18.6 compared to 32, and also the hydraulic release bearing makes high rpm shifting like butter compared to the Exedy. I always had problems when I ran Exedy clutches and have no issues with QM.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
it is a lot more rough. very noisey, low inertia, very tight engagement. the exedy only makes a slight chatter and thats it. the quartermaster is bad ***, but its for race cars and people who don't give a crap about noise, or driveability.
that pretty much sums it up. also very hard on drive train parts. I had one for two weeks and couldnt stand it. made me spring for tilton carbon/carbon dream clutch.

My next clutch will be a carbonetic twin
good clutches when the driver knows how to drive. this is a very important statement when discussing clutches. some can drive a stock clutch deep into the 11's with out hurting it. most will burn it up trying to hit 12's. the carbonetics clutches are very well designed but they dont handle poor driving technics well. if you search you will find people raving about the clutch and getting very high mileage. and you will also find people who killed it at the track on their first visit. the twin is a good choice for 450-500. beyond that you should opt for the tripple. its a smooth clutch, modulates well. shifts very well. but is very noisy due to floating plate design.

thus crcain statement. he burned one up at the track on his first outing if If my memory serves.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never owned a Carbonetics clutch. But have known people with catastrophic experiences with them.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7378743-post42.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7381714-post55.html

As for the Quartermaster, I think I remember talking to Shep about it on the phone, I think he described it as... damnit I can't remember but it was something along the lines of primitive or crud.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Also, am I correct in saying, that to some extent, the lighter a clutch is, the harder it is to daily drive? The lack of intertia causes the enging to want to stall during engagement at low engine speeds. Is that a correct assertion?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:04 AM
Account Disabled

sounds pretty correct, but i don't really have an issues once you get used to it... its nothing
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
We are currently doing the official review on the QM ceram twin and writing the installation manual for it. Once we have all the pics formatted we will be posting up an official review.

Many other clutch MFRs use QM's hydraulic release bearing. We expect great things to come with this clutch.

We have weighed it at 18.6lbs with flywheel and all on the 7.25" unit. EXEDY twin is 32lbs FYI.

The newest model will be slated for release in about 4 weeks or so.
so are you guys testing the current model or the one that will be out in the ~4 weeks?

Regardless, Good to hear. I shall wait for the newest model. I'm in no rush since I put the Evo away for winter.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Old Style QM clutch caused 4 local motors to crankwalk. I put in a request to QM asking about information, even blindly called up a few big installers of the clutch and no one was willing to talk about it because so many vendors sell them.

All the motors were 2.3L, 1 had K1 crank the rest were OEM Mitsu, ACL Bearings.

I loved the clutch when it was in my car but it personally ate my input shaft and took out 2nd gear then after the trans was fixed my car was stalling between shifts which I thought was BoV related and then it started stalling from a dead stop. The crank was pushing the trigger plate into the sensor and then stalling.

I have heard that there are others that have had this issue but no on will talk about it openly.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 07:36 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4g63evoeight
so are you guys testing the current model or the one that will be out in the ~4 weeks?

Regardless, Good to hear. I shall wait for the newest model. I'm in no rush since I put the Evo away for winter.
Possibly both will be tested. The Ceram is in there for now and we'll have a report shortly.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by juice_evo_VII
Old Style QM clutch caused 4 local motors to crankwalk. I put in a request to QM asking about information, even blindly called up a few big installers of the clutch and no one was willing to talk about it because so many vendors sell them.

All the motors were 2.3L, 1 had K1 crank the rest were OEM Mitsu, ACL Bearings.

I loved the clutch when it was in my car but it personally ate my input shaft and took out 2nd gear then after the trans was fixed my car was stalling between shifts which I thought was BoV related and then it started stalling from a dead stop. The crank was pushing the trigger plate into the sensor and then stalling.

I have heard that there are others that have had this issue but no on will talk about it openly.
Tilton, PTT, QuarterMaster all share similarities. Disc spline area is relatively small on all these twins. With 2.3L strokers they cause more engine harmonics which are transmitted through the input shaft that can wear on the splines over time.

Quartermaster uses HARDENED hubs for this reason as well as one of the discs has more contact surface area to the input shaft on their current design.

I have removed damaged Tiltons from tearing up input shafts and rounding off disc hubs, helping comminucate this information to them for Tilton to fix these issues.

Quartermaster has a handle on the inherent issues with a 7.25" clutch and appears to have addressed them all.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain

As for the Quartermaster, I think I remember talking to Shep about it on the phone, I think he described it as... damnit I can't remember but it was something along the lines of primitive or crud.
On that note is if funny though that Shep rec's and sells them on his site correct?

I think it may be good to include the diffreence between the "old" and "new" versions and when they came out to clarify for others.

I know there was a revision to "hardened" hubs but not sure when that came about.

I bought mine a while back from Devo Tuning and it was said that mine did indeed have the updaded hubs.

Would the "newest" clutch you're speaking of be the one "tweakdsm" has been prototyping???
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

anybody else?

TTP any updates on the review yet?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:57 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 4g63evoeight
anybody else?

TTP any updates on the review yet?
The clutch is in, working good so far. Working on some launching techniques and then we will have the written review up.

So far 1.67 60" time and shifting is great.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 05:59 PM

veeeeeeeeeeeeeery noisy. it actually sounds kind of goofy =)
Old Nov 8, 2009, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The clutch is in, working good so far. Working on some launching techniques and then we will have the written review up.

So far 1.67 60" time and shifting is great.
good to hear, keep us posted in this thread if you can
Old Nov 17, 2009, 05:14 PM

I have this clutch in my car i have about 3000 miles. Daily driver 200 miles a day. I love it shifting is a joy no matter how hard or fast you shift, its like butter. Yes its noisy but so is my exhaust

Quick Reply: Unofficial Quatermaster Twin disk review