Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Coolant Smell

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Smell

Just noticed that my ride isnt quite as powerful and when it does hit full boost its abit later then it use to. A few days ago, i got on it in 3rd gear 3k-6500. My brother following behing me said there was white smoke, and smelled sweet (Coolant Smell). Ive been looking every where for a coolant leak, but can seem to find any. Also when going down hill and leaving the car in gear, Vac drops to -22 (like normal) but there is a strong coolant smell that can be smelt inside the car. Even with windows up, and AC on or off.

Would this be a blown Head gasket??
I dont have any of the orther tools for a leak down test or anything like that, but besides the coolant everything else seems fine. Except for lifter tick, and missing bolt on exhaust manifold.

Any help would be much approved
Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Lets start with how the coolant level is in the reservoir and in the radiator....
Old Oct 29, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Check the overflow reservoir dump tube. If there is coolant in there and/or its dumping coolant from the overflow - you have a blown HG. Reason: pressurizing radiator (blown passageway in HG) causing coolant to be pushed out.

Also check overflow for oil mixing in with the coolant and check oil for a milk shake like froth.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
lifter tick, coolant smell, white smoke, and missing exhaust mani bolt? Down on power @ full boost....hmmmm? I wonder why your car is not at it's peak power potential.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
lifter tick, coolant smell, white smoke, and missing exhaust mani bolt? Down on power @ full boost....hmmmm? I wonder why your car is not at it's peak power potential.
i dont understand why people like you have crap to say thats not helpfull and is some what rude...Ill never understand it...This guys probably worried and just looking for helpfull coments and not stupid arogant ones....Hope you figure out the isue and hope it isnt the head gasket but it does kinda sound like that may be it....good luck
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by malonejr2000
i dont understand why people like you have crap to say thats not helpfull and is some what rude...Ill never understand it...This guys probably worried and just looking for helpfull coments and not stupid arogant ones....Hope you figure out the isue and hope it isnt the head gasket but it does kinda sound like that may be it....good luck
Did you read how he is driving his car? And asking what's wrong? Has he searched? Nope. Has he completed a leak down test? Compression test? Or even a standard boost leak test? When will he perform any of the following?

Let's look at the key points of his post:
Just noticed that my ride isnt quite as powerful and when it does hit full boost its abit later then it use to. A few days ago, i got on it in 3rd gear 3k-6500. My brother following behing me said there was white smoke, and smelled sweet (Coolant Smell). Ive been looking every where for a coolant leak, but can seem to find any. Also when going down hill and leaving the car in gear, Vac drops to -22 (like normal) but there is a strong coolant smell that can be smelt inside the car. Even with windows up, and AC on or off.

Would this be a blown Head gasket??
I dont have any of the orther tools for a leak down test or anything like that, but besides the coolant everything else seems fine. Except for lifter tick, and missing bolt on exhaust manifold
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Did you read how he is driving his car? And asking what's wrong? Has he searched? Nope. Has he completed a leak down test? Compression test? Or even a standard boost leak test? When will he perform any of the following?

Let's look at the key points of his post:
Whoa Whoa whoa guy.. im just asking a simply question. By the way. Boost Is fine. No leaks, No Coolant Leaks that i can see. No Compression test tool at the molment. Im sure my compression is fine. Still putting down 450 at 20 psi. Its not a major issue. i was just simply asking for thoughts, Im leaning towards my headgasket have a slight seal problem and already have it and plan on installing.

Just looking for extra thoughts. Thanks anyway

As for everyone else that is helping, No Milky fluid or discoloration. Rad Cap has good rubber for seal, so does the Rad Catch.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoVIII808
Whoa Whoa whoa guy.. im just asking a simply question. By the way. Boost Is fine. No leaks, No Coolant Leaks that i can see. No Compression test tool at the molment. Im sure my compression is fine. Still putting down 450 at 20 psi. Its not a major issue. i was just simply asking for thoughts, Im leaning towards my headgasket have a slight seal problem and already have it and plan on installing.

Just looking for extra thoughts. Thanks anyway

As for everyone else that is helping, No Milky fluid or discoloration. Rad Cap has good rubber for seal, so does the Rad Catch.
Check the small coolant lines by the turbo.

Mine had a small hole in it and I would smell coolant when I parked in the garage. I could never figure out what it was till it gave out on me one day.

Do you have to add coolant to the reservoir?

IIRC, when I went to my local dealer for a replacement, the parts guy said there was an updated version of the hose.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Check the overflow reservoir dump tube. If there is coolant in there and/or its dumping coolant from the overflow - you have a blown HG. Reason: pressurizing radiator (blown passageway in HG) causing coolant to be pushed out.

Also check overflow for oil mixing in with the coolant and check oil for a milk shake like froth.
No overflow, res is about a Quarter full. Far below the Overflow, and im running the Weapon R tank so there is no was for coolant to be sucked in.

A better way to say it is the Car Runs Normal, Just has the Coolant smell sometimes after high Boost, and all the time when im comming down in and VAC is over -18. Usually when going down hill its -20 to -22. 5th gear 60mph
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by revvin9k
Check the small coolant lines by the turbo.

Mine had a small hole in it and I would smell coolant when I parked in the garage. I could never figure out what it was till it gave out on me one day.

Do you have to add coolant to the reservoir?

IIRC, when I went to my local dealer for a replacement, the parts guy said there was an updated version of the hose.
Ill take a look and see if there is any leak. I dont think there is because i look for that kind of stuff daily, but who know, it possible. Thanks for the input. If i cant find ill just change the gasket this weekend.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

If it is those lines, you'll obviously see a white residue from the dried up coolant. GL.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by revvin9k
If it is those lines, you'll obviously see a white residue from the dried up coolant. GL.
ok thanks. gona take it for a spin. will post when i get back. Let is warm up didnt see any coolant leaking or anything like that. Fluid in Rad was Low also now refilled