Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My FP Black

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by binky
Any reason you chose the MAP rods over the Manley rods? Both are nice sets of rods... - just curious

-Bink
They are rated for more HP due to more surface area on the crank I believe. I think they are also lighter. Also they are cheaper and its proven. I originally wanted TT rods also but I have changed my mind now.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
They are rated for more HP due to more surface area on the crank I believe. I think they are also lighter. Also they are cheaper and its proven. I originally wanted TT rods also but I have changed my mind now.
I did read they have more surface area on the crank. Didn't know they were lighter.

Word

-Bink
Old Oct 8, 2010, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

I'm thinking I might be selling some parts to buy others...

If your interested PM me...

1) FIC 1050 CC injectors with ~1100 miles on them

2) ETS stock route UICP / Stainless Steel / Stock BOV location

3) HKS SSQV v2 BOV

4) Stock Battery

5) And MAYBE the FP silicone intake if I decide to go with speed density

I might be ditching the stock ECU in favor of an AEM EMS / 2 due to talking with Emery over at STM. I'll keep my stock ECU for emissions purposes though...we'll see.

-Bink
Old Oct 8, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks but for now I'm just saving for the essentials for my short block build. I'm switching to E85 next summer after the motor is broken in so I will need some bigger injectors.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks but for now I'm just saving for the essentials for my short block build. I'm switching to E85 next summer after the motor is broken in so I will need some bigger injectors.
Yeah....I can't believe I need to go bigger already. I went with the 1050's thinking I would have some head room....ha- Emery said 2150's! They are really expensive. You need the pigtails and the high Z resistor bypass that spoolin' up made.

Bummer-

-Bink
Old Oct 8, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah....I can't believe I need to go bigger already. I went with the 1050's thinking I would have some head room....ha- Emery said 2150's! They are really expensive. You need the pigtails and the high Z resistor bypass that spoolin' up made.

Bummer-

-Bink
Well I dont think you need to go that big but if you do it will be the last set of injectors you will ever buy
Old Oct 11, 2010, 02:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im confused, can the fp black internal waste gate acuater be converted to an external waste gate? in addition, as for the difference in external and internal waste gate i have no idea. something about better boost with external.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by adam_79_2005
im confused, can the fp black internal waste gate acuater be converted to an external waste gate? in addition, as for the difference in external and internal waste gate i have no idea. something about better boost with external.
good job answering your own questions there buddy lol
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah? I was also looking at that one -I liked that one as well and your right - 1/2 the price!

Are you mad at me for deciding to go with a 2.0??

I figured for the drag strip - it was a better bet. Granted, yes, I do 95% of my driving on the street - but I figured at the strip I could rev out 4th and avoid shifting to 5th. And as much as there is noticeable lag with the Black on the street....I guess I don't mind it all that much? It was TERRIBLE - I supposed I just got used to it..

What do you think?

-Bink
Here is my whole deal with this. If your making a didicated drag car its only duty is for that records etc then im all for the 2.0 2.1 for sure. But since yours will be mostly DD and little drag time im saying stroker is hands down the better choice. Being able to gain that nasty spool is key for sure but i understand the 2.0 can be cheaper in some cases . I think you should go ride in a stroked evo and then you will change your mind for sure. Also i saw earlier wizzo was knocking TT manley make no mistake those rods have been around for a minute and are extremely strong and WELLLL tested nothing wrong with them. the Howards maps might be lighter but that does not make them superior by any means.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
good job answering your own questions there buddy lol
not sure if your being sarcastic but thanks anyway, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable, so my evo IX MR is completely torn down in preperation for my bottom end build. i bought maperfprmance 1000hp rated rods, wiseco hd pistons(both coated), and of course rod and main bearings and thrust washers. The head is at maperformance now for there stage 5 PP plus coating, i decided to go more aggressive cams gsc S3 cams and the behive valve springs and retainers to match them. Thing is the crank isnt really going under any construction other then being micro cleaned as the block gets blue printed balanced and pistons get bored .20 over, so my question is can the stock crank handle the abuse thats to come? my mechanic and tuner say yes its fine, but what are your suggestions?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

not sure if your being sarcastic but thanks anyway, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable, so my evo IX MR is completely torn down in preperation for my bottom end build. i bought maperfprmance 1000hp rated rods, wiseco hd pistons(both coated), and of course rod and main bearings and thrust washers. The head is at maperformance now for there stage 5 PP plus coating, i decided to go more aggressive cams gsc S3 cams and the behive valve springs and retainers to match them. Thing is the crank isnt really going under any construction other then being micro cleaned as the block gets blue printed balanced and pistons get bored .20 over, so my question is can the stock crank handle the abuse thats to come? my mechanic and tuner say yes its fine, but what are your suggestions?
i agree with your engine builder lol the OEM crank is perfectly fine i dont know why people get this it cant handle mess from there is one car i know of i think its maps that has stock crank turning 1000+whp mikey(blkcarbonevo) has 675whp on his and going for more. mine UNKNOWN to public will have alot as well stocker is fine only reason i see to buy another crank is if your one of those i want to save weight everywhere and dont mind spending the coin on it then yes there are lighter cranks pistons rods etc you can buy. just because its more expensive does not make it better nor just because it might be OEM make is worse. Alot of the oem parts were well designed and thought out actually.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
i agree with your engine builder lol the OEM crank is perfectly fine i dont know why people get this it cant handle mess from there is one car i know of i think its maps that has stock crank turning 1000+whp mikey(blkcarbonevo) has 675whp on his and going for more. mine UNKNOWN to public will have alot as well stocker is fine only reason i see to buy another crank is if your one of those i want to save weight everywhere and dont mind spending the coin on it then yes there are lighter cranks pistons rods etc you can buy. just because its more expensive does not make it better nor just because it might be OEM make is worse. Alot of the oem parts were well designed and thought out actually.

thanks for the imput, as i look at all the parts in the garage that are bagged and tagged i just keep thinking what else can i do while everything is out of the car, my fp black is pretty stock as far as no porting done to it, so im scratching my chin wondering what can be done to the fp black?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sick man Love the black Great choice
Old Oct 11, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the imput, as i look at all the parts in the garage that are bagged and tagged i just keep thinking what else can i do while everything is out of the car, my fp black is pretty stock as far as no porting done to it, so im scratching my chin wondering what can be done to the fp black?
Port and coat it boss hands down. maybe invest in a good tubular manifold HAAA

Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Well I dont think you need to go that big but if you do it will be the last set of injectors you will ever buy
Haha, this is true

-Bink

Quick Reply: My FP Black