Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My FP Black

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
forget all the bs tell me how much the upgrade to BB cost exactly if you dont want to air it out pm me. I still dont see the point in the upgrade if you have a working turbo but to each his own.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not upgrading, I got a brand new one.

I'm doing it because I just finished the car and was going to get it tuned and I figured if I am ever going to upgrade to the BB turbo, nows the time so I can save $ on tuning.

Then there's the pro's of the new turbo: better longevity, much better transient response, making more power while not burning the candle at both ends and not having to worry about the journal bearing coming apart.....and for the bragging rights

-Bink
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binky
I'm not upgrading, I got a brand new one.

I'm doing it because I just finished the car and was going to get it tuned and I figured if I am ever going to upgrade to the BB turbo, nows the time so I can save $ on tuning.

Then there's the pro's of the new turbo: better longevity, much better transient response, making more power while not burning the candle at both ends and not having to worry about the journal bearing coming apart.....and for the bragging rights

-Bink

hmmm ok plenty of JB fp black still roaming the street 2+years etc but i see i take it your selling your JB black to recoup some funds so what was the total price on that? i want to get a bb black waaaaaay later but by then im sure fp blue will hit the market LOL.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

All of this talk about DBB and JB blah blah won't apply to 95% of the people who actually own Blacks. No one I've seen runs this turbo for road racing and most serious drag racers would choose a turbo that holds torque out to red-line such as a 3586. So there goes the transient response argument. The whole thing with longevity won't be seen for a couple more years at least. I haven't seen any threads on FP Black's failing due to normal use.

Since FP will be making all blacks with DBB now, obviously there's no reason NOT to go with DBB, but I think the JB owners should be content with what they have because it is 99% of what they don't.

-Acree

Last edited by Acree; Sep 6, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
hmmm ok plenty of JB fp black still roaming the street 2+years etc but i see i take it your selling your JB black to recoup some funds so what was the total price on that? i want to get a bb black waaaaaay later but by then im sure fp blue will hit the market LOL.
Your right they have been. Yes, anyone want a JB Black

Originally Posted by Acree
All of this talk about DBB and JB blah blah won't apply to 95% of the people who actually own Blacks. No one I've seen runs this turbo for road racing and most serious drag racers would choose a turbo that holds torque out to red-line such as a 3586. So there goes the transient response argument. The whole thing will longevity won't be seen for a couple more years at least. I haven't seen any threads on FP Black's failing due to normal use.

Since FP will be making all blacks with DBB now, obviously there's no reason NOT to go with DBB, but I think the JB owners should be content with what they have because it is 99% of what they don't.

-Acree
FWIW, mine failed under normal use. Yes, I was running Mobil One, I've since switched to AMSOIL 20W-50 with the new motor.

-Bink
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm contemplating a whole she-bang of turbos... one being the FP Black.

Have either of you owned any other stock frame turbo's that you could compare it to?

I've ridden in Mike Kessler's car, but his is a bit of a wild card @750whp lol.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I'm contemplating a whole she-bang of turbos... one being the FP Black.

Have either of you owned any other stock frame turbo's that you could compare it to?

I've ridden in Mike Kessler's car, but his is a bit of a wild card @750whp lol.
To be honest, I went right from a stock Evo VIII 9.5 housing turbo to the FP Black and there was no comparison

Kidding aside, it was kind of weird at first, only because I was used to the stock turbo spooling so quickly, when I was first driving the car I was like, where's the power? With the Black, on my stock motor the power/boost didn't really kick in until 4350/4500 RPM's, while the stock turbo would already be at full boost by this RPM.

I'm curious to see what it will be like on my current setup.

Other than that, sorry, I don't have another stock framed turbo to compare it to.

I'd love to go for a ride in Mike's car!

-Bink
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

To be honest, I went right from a stock Evo VIII 9.5 housing turbo to the FP Black and there was no comparison

Kidding aside, it was kind of weird at first, only because I was used to the stock turbo spooling so quickly, when I was first driving the car I was like, where's the power? With the Black, on my stock motor the power/boost didn't really kick in until 4350/4500 RPM's, while the stock turbo would already be at full boost by this RPM.

I'm curious to see what it will be like on my current setup.

Other than that, sorry, I don't have another stock framed turbo to compare it to.

I'd love to go for a ride in Mike's car!

-Bink
take a trip up to VA and you can get a ride. I ad a fp red but i never used it lol stayed in the package most use it got was when i took it out for pics and when i sold it back to FP my stock 8 turbo was on the car when it had issues post build and i could not boost over 15psi so would not be fair comparison on my part either. but i agree with acree the BB Black is pointless upgrade for majroity of evo owners that have a jb black already
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
take a trip up to VA and you can get a ride. I ad a fp red but i never used it lol stayed in the package most use it got was when i took it out for pics and when i sold it back to FP my stock 8 turbo was on the car when it had issues post build and i could not boost over 15psi so would not be fair comparison on my part either. but i agree with acree the BB Black is pointless upgrade for majroity of evo owners that have a jb black already
Yeah, someday I'll make it down there. I'm hoping next year I will go to the Shootout or to Englishtown and meet some of you guys That'd be a good time

Guess we'll see, how the new BB turbo performs. I'm hoping to have the evo on the dyno in a little over 2 weeks.

Turbo will be coming out next week, I'm taking a much needed vacation this weekend with the GF

-Bink
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, someday I'll make it down there. I'm hoping next year I will go to the Shootout or to Englishtown and meet some of you guys That'd be a good time

Guess we'll see, how the new BB turbo performs. I'm hoping to have the evo on the dyno in a little over 2 weeks.

Turbo will be coming out next week, I'm taking a much needed vacation this weekend with the GF

-Bink

Pm sent on old black.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

There were a few FP Black failures that were publicized on this forum but for the amount that sold I'm sure its proportional. And FP took care of them as long as they were using the oil line kit and proper oil.

I agree if you already have a black there really isn't a reason to do a 1k upgrade. If you are just buying one now or need your current one rebuilt then go to town.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfzilla
i agree if you already have a black there really isn't a reason to do a 1k upgrade. If you are just buying one now or need your current one rebuilt then go to town.
+1
Old Sep 6, 2011, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jonzie04
Pm sent on old black.
Hey man, sorry I sold it last week to a good friend of mine on a private forum

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
There were a few FP Black failures that were publicized on this forum but for the amount that sold I'm sure its proportional. And FP took care of them as long as they were using the oil line kit and proper oil.

I agree if you already have a black there really isn't a reason to do a 1k upgrade. If you are just buying one now or need your current one rebuilt then go to town.
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
+1

While this may be so, I want the very best, and now I can turn the boost up quite a bit more and not have to worry about it.

-Bink
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Question for everyone about a 5th gear noise.

First off, all of the gears, except for 5th gear, work perfectly, R,1,2,3 and 4.

If I quickly shift into 5th gear it makes a noise, almost like something grinds. It's not really loud, but I can also briefly feel the noise as well. If I shift at a regular speed (slower), I don't hear or feel anything at all.

It's a late 2004 Evo with an Exedy Twin HD and it didn't make that noise prior to the build. The shifter assembly could be off (maybe I hit it taking the transmission in and out?) and I also have the ThreeSpeed scatter shield on top of the transmission, maybe I have one of the cables hung up on something?

I also switched from BG SyncroShift to Redline MT-90 when I put the transmission back on.

Readers digest version: Transmission makes noise on quick shift to 5th gear, doesn't do it on a slow shift and didn't do it prior to the engine build.

My guess is a syncro, but what I don't understand is how a syncro goes bad sitting on a concrete floor for 3 months

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Bink
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Could have been on its way out before you pulled the trans. From what I've read the fifth gear syncro causes problems in the 03s and 04s. Mine grinds as well if I try to slam fifth but normal driving its fine.

Quick Reply: My FP Black