Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My FP Black

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No the FP Blacks are not on the site yet and times always vary on back orders.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Yes we first called it 80MM but to be exact theyre 84MM same goes with the FP Reds not a big difference at all but sorry for the confusion.

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Yes, I'm sure. I'm holding one in my hand. 84MM is the size for the BLACK CH. And, by the way, will be the standard size for the RED.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok guys....I'd like some people's input here.

First things first, I've decided I am going to have Junior at 'The Shop' tune my car.

I have decided not to go with an external wastegate, after talking with a few people and doing some research and watching the OKIX evo run 9's on the internal wastegate my mind was made up. So this is going to be my new down-pipe, with the wastegate dump recirculated.

http://www.maperformance.com/map-sta...2e-ss-evo.html

Few things I cannot decide on whether or not I should do / buy before the tune are...

1) SparkTech NON-CDI

2) Supertech Springs / Titanium Retainers - I am currently running HKS 272's I/E - primary rev limit is 8000 RPM.

3) Leave my Megan exhaust manifold on - or get the stock exhaust manifold ported by MAP.

4) Port stock intake manifold by MAP - I was *considering* rev 2, rev 3 is just too much money. I could buy the Magnus v5 for the price of the rev 3 (granted the Magnus v5 install is much more involved than the stock IM).

5) AMS Race Balance Shaft delete.

Here is my currrent mod list:

Stock Block / Stock Head - with AMS Race balance shaft delete kit
93 Octane - Shell
Stock ECU with TephraMod v7 (I also have an alt map cable I can hook up if necessary) / Openport 2.0 Cable / EvoScan 2.7B5
ARP Head studs TQ'ed to 85 FT/Lbs (stock (originial) head gasket)
Mobil One 10W-30 Fully Synthetic / All fluids - transmission, t-case, rear diff and engine oil have been changed
60K service has been completed - 2004 Evo VIII - Has 52,xxx miles - new Timing belt / serpentine belt / oil pump (new front cover)
FP Black - With Ported Hotside with Race Pipe and FP v2 oil feed line
MAP Ported and Polished stock exhaust manifold
FP's 80mm Intake / K&N Filter 4.5" diameter, 8" long - removed inter-cooler sprayer / Vibrant MAF adapter
Reinforced MAF housing (epoxied MAF honeycomb in)
Apexi GT Spec 3" Turbo Back exhaust
Cobb 3" Downpipe w/ DEI exhaust wrap
Invida O2 housing
Cobb Test pipe
HKS 272 I/E Camshafts
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
Aeromotive Fuel Rail
FIC 1050 CC Injectiors
Walbro 255 FP
AVID Racing motor mounts
Blox front roll engine stopper
Torque Solution drive shaft bushings - 6061 aluminum
Sparktech NON-CDI Iginition system
NGKBPR7ES Plugs
Exedy Twin HD Clutch with upper/lower SS lines
TurboTrix Clutch Fork Stop
ETS 3.5" Intercooler w/ 2.5" Hard Intercooler Piping
HKS SSQV V2 BOV - recirculated
Mil.Spec 65mm Throttle body
Hallman Manual Boost Controller
Whiteline Front Roll Center Adjustment Kit
Girodisc Stage 2 slotted rotors with Ferodo DS2500 Pads w/ Motul and SS Lines
B&M Short Throw Shifter with under hood stiff bushings kit and Greddy counter weight shift knob
DEFI Gauges Boost (only goes to 28 PSI) / EGT / Oil Pressure
AEM Wideband O2
STM -AN lines valve cover fittings - PCV valve has been deleted
STM valve cover SS bolt kit
JMFab Oil catch can
Samco radiator hoses
STM Radiator supports
Carbign Craft radiator cooling plate
ThreeSpeed Scatter Shield
Current tune : Mellon Tune - Openport 2.0 with Evoscan 2.7 B5

What else should I be looking at doing before the tune?

Thanks!

-Bink

Last edited by binky; May 4, 2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Few things I cannot decide on whether or not I should do / buy before the tune are...

1) SparkTech NON-CDI

2) Supertech Springs / Titanium Retainers - I am currently running HKS 272's I/E - primary rev limit is 8000 RPM.

3) Leave my Megan exhaust manifold on - or get the stock exhaust manifold ported by MAP.

4) Port stock intake manifold by MAP - I was *considering* rev 2, rev 3 is just too much money. I could buy the Magnus v5 for the price of the rev 3 (granted the Magnus v5 install is much more involved than the stock IM).

i would not waste money on the COP stock is fine. Porting the intake i would def do map rev 2 is fine or ppi extreme ported. I dont really like megan products i had the manifold when i bought the evo and its cracked. i would get a different tubular setup or get ported stocker. With the black on a 2.0 i would do dual spring and retainer upgrade for sure supertech is fine. Maybe think about upgrading your cams to kelford 272 to take advantage of the spring retainer upgrade
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

^ with HKS 272 you can rev over 8k just fine. I have 272/280 combo and I rev to 8-8.2K all day long. Don't bother with spring and retainers till you get agressive cams like 4Rs, Kelford 272s, S2s, or the big boys S3s or 5Rs.

Stock ignition is fine till you start making over 600.

Have fun with boost creep on the eliminator! junk! Ask them for a dyno and see if you get one... Prob not

Mikey
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX

1) SparkTech NON-CDI

i would not waste money on the COP stock is fine. Porting the intake i would def do map rev 2 is fine or ppi extreme ported. I dont really like megan products i had the manifold when i bought the evo and its cracked. i would get a different tubular setup or get ported stocker. With the black on a 2.0 i would do dual spring and retainer upgrade for sure supertech is fine. Maybe think about upgrading your cams to kelford 272 to take advantage of the spring retainer upgrade
Thanks for the reply

I think I may ditch the Megan manifold and port the stock exhaust manifold then...I'm still on the line about the springs / retainers...

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
^ with HKS 272 you can rev over 8k just fine. I have 272/280 combo and I rev to 8-8.2K all day long. Don't bother with spring and retainers till you get agressive cams like 4Rs, Kelford 272s, S2s, or the big boys S3s or 5Rs.

Stock ignition is fine till you start making over 600.

Have fun with boost creep on the eliminator! junk! Ask them for a dyno and see if you get one... Prob not

Mikey
Is the eliminator bad? Can you further explain your response. Also, thanks for the reply

-Bink
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still on the line about the springs / retainers...
Get off that line because you don't need then. Wait until you upgrade your cams then do it then. No need paying labor twice and HKS cams are not as bad as people think they are. I made 520 on 30psi in 85-90 degree weather.

Is the eliminator bad? Can you further explain your response.
I personally have never had it or seen it in person, so take this for what it is, but I have heard from quite a few people that it boost creeps bad. The design on the flange I don't think is allowing the flapper to fully open and that is creating bad boost creep. Creep is "okay" if you have a fully built motor and don't care what psi you are running but most of us like to have control of our boost.

The JMF Flange is the only flange that I have seen that will not create boost creep. The other thing you have to look at is you need a 2.5" dump or larger to clear the flapper once it clears the flange. There is a lot of design that goes into the 02 dump design. It is not "weld a pipe to a stock flange and you have a dump". That is the design of the MAP eliminator! Yes you have a dump but it is not very effective. Send Casey or Chris a PM and ask for a dyno! I would love to see one and have been trying for months but they won't post or send one. Also if they send you one there is no way to positively know that it is they eliminator pipe. They have heard the complaints.

Here is a pic on the JMF Flange.

My FP Black-6tr5ml.jpg

This design is the only design that should ever be used for a high hp car trying to run over the stock boost level on a Red or Black... I would hold off for a bit because I believe that JMF is coming out with a 3" housing and dump very similar to mine

*edit - I should just clarify that I'm not knocking MAP, Chris, Casey or anyone else there. I buy most of my parts through them but I just don't like the design of the eliminator after hearing the problems and helping design my own custom 02 housing.

Mikey

Last edited by BLKCarbonEVO; Nov 16, 2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Edited
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Get off that line because you don't need then. Wait until you upgrade your cams then do it then. No need paying labor twice and HKS cams are not as bad as people think they are. I made 520 on 30psi in 85-90 degree weather.

I personally have never had it or seen it in person, so take this for what it is, but I have heard from quite a few people that it boost creeps bad. The design on the flange I don't think is allowing the flapper to fully open and that is creating bad boost creep. Creep is "okay" if you have a fully built motor and don't care what psi you are running but most of us like to have control of our boost.

The JMF Flange is the only flange that I have seen that will not create boost creep. The other thing you have to look at is you need a 2.5" dump or larger to clear the flapper once it clears the flange. There is a lot of design that goes into the 02 dump design. It is not "weld a pipe to a stock flange and you have a dump". That is the design of the MAP eliminator! Yes you have a dump but it is not very effective. Send Casey or Chris a PM and ask for a dyno! I would love to see one and have been trying for months but they won't post or send one. Also if they send you one there is no way to positively know that it is they eliminator pipe. They have heard the complaints.

Here is a pic on the JMF Flange.

This design is the only design that should ever be used for a high hp car trying to run over the stock boost level on a Red or Black... I would hold off for a bit because I believe that JMF is coming out with a 3" housing and dump very similar to mine

*edit - I should just clarify that I'm not knocking MAP, Chris, Casey or anyone else there. I buy most of my parts through them but I just don't like the design of the eliminator after hearing the problems and helping design my own custom 02 housing.

Mikey
Wow - great post, I really appreciate the effort

Well...great - haha, now I don't know what I should do for a downpipe / O2 housing solution...

Any ETA on when JMF would be releasing the 3" housing and dump?

I suppose I could stick to the Megan O2 Housing and Apexi GT Spec downpipe that's already on the car, but I really wanted an external dump that was recirculated.

Thanks for the advice.

-Bink
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

I've been pestering JMF about this as well. Hopefully if enough of us keep calling they will hurry up and make one .
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dhammans
I've been pestering JMF about this as well. Hopefully if enough of us keep calling they will hurry up and make one .
Haha!

Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and do some more research in the mean time....

-Bink
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

The JMF Flange is the only flange that I have seen that will not create boost creep. .

QTP's has a much similar design to the JMF, but the JMF piece is machined differently. I also think that the Shearer is prob similar in that it tapers like that too.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wshihdnevo
QTP's has a much similar design to the JMF, but the JMF piece is machined differently. I also think that the Shearer is prob similar in that it tapers like that too.
Shearer actually uses the JMF flange But the shearer is a 2.5" 02 housing.

Mikey
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Shearer actually uses the JMF flange But the shearer is a 2.5" 02 housing.

Mikey

Figured that might be the case.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:07 PM

What type of fuel are you getting tuned on? More specifically, will you have a file for 91 pisstane?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cassidyb
What type of fuel are you getting tuned on? More specifically, will you have a file for 91 pisstane?
I am going to be running 93 octane minimum.

-Bink

Quick Reply: My FP Black