Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost Surging/Slipping?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2009 | 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Boost Surging/Slipping?

So recently I have been having some boost issues that I can only describe as a surging slip. If I give it full throttle in 4th, 5th or 6th gear from ~0psi it will build up boost then "slip" for a half of second (similar to a clutch slipping) as it reaches ~18psi. It then "catches" boost and continues to function normally.

I have the Greddy Profec B-Spec II and it was tuned by AMS. I have had no problems for the past 2 years. I have tried adjusted almost everything (eg... SET, GAIN, START BOOST, LIMITER) and nothing seems to work. I know it's not the clutch slipping because it grabs fine taking off and full throttling through gears.

Also, I don't seem to have this problem in first, second or third gear; nor when I build a decent amount of boost before going WOT. It's as if the boost builds up too quickly, the EBC or ECU limits it for a second, then continues as normal.

Any thought? Advice? I've tried searching and haven't found anything directly related. Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2009 | 05:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Sounds like your clutch is slipping.
Old Oct 31, 2009 | 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

so why would it not slip when I launch or two-step? Or full boost in the lower gears? or with boost pre-built up?
Old Oct 31, 2009 | 06:24 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Air Force

Stock clutch??? How many miles?

If your clutch is starting to slip it will be more apparent in the higher gears first. Probably happens around peak torque when the most load is put in the drivetrain. Lower gears help pull the car so it may not show up during WOT runs....but it will as the clutch gets worse.
Old Oct 31, 2009 | 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Do the RPM jump up and back down?
Old Nov 1, 2009 | 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

The RPM's do not slip or jump. They do stall when the boost stalls for that brief half second.

Maybe it is the clutch... It's the stock one with 34,000 miles on it (which is a lifetime considering most people). But I have been very good about not abusing it and it still grabs good with the occasional launch. I've been looking to upgrade in the future though, so maybe it will come sooner than later.

I just want to make sure I'm not have engine/turbo issues instead.
Old Nov 1, 2009 | 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goucho
The RPM's do not slip or jump. They do stall when the boost stalls for that brief half second.

Maybe it is the clutch... It's the stock one with 34,000 miles on it (which is a lifetime considering most people). But I have been very good about not abusing it and it still grabs good with the occasional launch. I've been looking to upgrade in the future though, so maybe it will come sooner than later.

I just want to make sure I'm not have engine/turbo issues instead.
Have you logged this?

You can take off your intake to check your turbo. also maybe wanna do a compression test and leak down test to check engine.
Old Nov 1, 2009 | 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

What are your profec settings?
Old Nov 1, 2009 | 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chris Moore
What are your profec settings?
AMS Tune Settings

Set 72%
Gain 7%
Set Gain 18.8psi
Warning 23.5psi
Warning L. 7%
Boosting ~22.5psi PEAK
Old Nov 2, 2009 | 02:53 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Do the RPM jump up and back down?
I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM MY RPM JUMPS UP AND DOWN ON ALMOST ALL GEARS. EVEN IN FIRST I STEP ON IT AND IT GOES TO ABOUT 4000 RPM AND ONCE BOOST STARTS TO GO HIGHER RPM COMES DOWN AND THEN UP AGAIN. U SEEM TO KNOW SOMETHING EVO KID. PLEASE HELP. COULD IT B THE CLUTCH? REMEMBER NEWBEE HERE.
Old Nov 2, 2009 | 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION9MR
I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM MY RPM JUMPS UP AND DOWN ON ALMOST ALL GEARS. EVEN IN FIRST I STEP ON IT AND IT GOES TO ABOUT 4000 RPM AND ONCE BOOST STARTS TO GO HIGHER RPM COMES DOWN AND THEN UP AGAIN. U SEEM TO KNOW SOMETHING EVO KID. PLEASE HELP. COULD IT B THE CLUTCH? REMEMBER NEWBEE HERE.
yes if your RPM jumps up then goes back down, you most likely need a new clutch.
Old Nov 2, 2009 | 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Famous last words.

Originally Posted by goucho
I know it's not the clutch slipping because

Get the car on an open stretch of road with no traffic get the car into 5th gear at about 4K RPM and open it up, watch the Tach as you do it and tell us what happens.
Old Nov 3, 2009 | 02:18 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
yes if your RPM jumps up then goes back down, you most likely need a new clutch.
that was my first guess but i thought to look around a bit for some help. thanks evo kid.any suggestions on a clutch?thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2009 | 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION9MR
that was my first guess but i thought to look around a bit for some help. thanks evo kid.any suggestions on a clutch?thanks.
PM me and we'll chat.
Old Apr 13, 2010 | 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to disturb this sleeping beauty, but I am having almost the same issue and am looking for some help here. OP, did you ever find out the real cause and fixed it?? Was it really your clutch or something else??

In my case, my tuner said that it's boost surge. And i'd like to know if it's indeed boost surging problem, what's the solution that doesn't require turbo upgrade nor turning my boost down??

Quick Reply: Boost Surging/Slipping?