Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How not to install a CBRD radiator.... and, well.... everything I guess.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I take it this guy's car was also in a front end collision? Because my IX has an all aluminum condenser, and that guys little tank on his condenser is painted and rusted...

Can any other IX owners chime in about this?

Last edited by SyZyGy1394; Nov 3, 2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too bad i cant see the pics
!!
Old Nov 3, 2009, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

ouch! its worth pasting the links to c these pics. how could u half *** all those parts and feel good about giving it back to the customer?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoxsi
ouch! its worth pasting the links to c these pics. how could u half *** all those parts and feel good about giving it back to the customer?
Umm I know the answer to that. Its called $$$.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 06:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Wow, where to start.

The client came to us late Friday afternoon after Charlie had setup the appointment a few weeks earlier. I was told we were installing a turbo kit, in-line fuel pump, radiator, and tune. We were going to start this job early Friday afternoon and finish up the tuning the next day and have the client on his way back home to Maryland.

After the client showed up late Friday afternoon (3pm) I find out not only does the customer have a turbo kit with no lines (oil/water), he also has a jmfab race intake manifold, intercooler, 4 tires to be mounted and balanced, aem wideband, and an oil change. He also had the standard worm clamps. Knowing we were going to be making power I opted to change the whole system to T-bolt clamps to insure he would have a problem free ride home when we were finished. Right then and there we knew we had some work cut out for us knowing the customer was anticipating a trip back to Maryland the very next day.

Instead of going out on a Friday night after working a long week, myself and my driver stayed late until 11 p.m to get started on the clients car to make some progress before coming in the next day(Saturday). We work Monday-Friday 8 am to 5 p.m as stated in our signature. Saturdays are only open for TUNING. We came in again at 8 a.m and started working on the clients car. After installing the JM Fab race Intake Manifold we started working on the custom twin scroll turbo kit. Not having any oil and water lines left us to piecing the kit together for him. After that we ran into a snag when his current lower intercooler pipe did not line up with the turbo kit. "We are not a fabrication shop." On a Saturday afternoon it was impossible for us to get a licp or honestly know which pipe would even fit with this one off kit that came to us with no oil, water, lines, bolts or anything but a manifold, 2 wg, 2 dump tubes, and a turbo.

After sitting the customer down and going over our solutions he agreed to leave us the car for a week in order to have his car up and running top notch. The following Monday we had a lower intercooler pipe made and we continued to move on. After installing the beautiful cbrd radiator we clearly came into a jam when clocking the external wastegates. The dump tubes clearly did not fit with this particular radiator/fan setup. We called JMFab and they sent us a few pictures of how this turbo kit needs to be installed. Unfortunately the pictures were all installed in the mock up evo with no fan on the radiator which you could clearly see will not fit.

Lets not forget all of the other odds and ends that we had to obtain in making things work. The radiator could not use the stock upper hose with this turbo kit because of the exhaust manifold was touching it. We changed it out with a custom straight hose. We also changed the whole clamp system to T-bolts to assure we would have no hoses popping off on the long trip back home to Maryland. We also ran out to have the tires mounted and balanced in which I used my personal car to transport since we do not have the proper machine. The client also didn't have enough $$ to have us weld his aem bung in his downpipe! He said he would get that taken care of when he got home. HUH? No wide-band? You don't want to monitor your car after it is freshly tuned and making some nice power to assure you are running safe and solid?

The budget ran dry, we were left with little to work with when it became tight fitting. We wanted to get a custom dump tube made. The dump tube was "close" to the radiator but never touching it.

After we had the car up and running we started tuning. Charlie spent a good amount of time insuring the drive-ability would be perfect. The car came out well making a solid 445whp on our dyno without a hesitation. I personally drove the car myself for a day to insure there would be no issues on the long journey back home to Maryland.

The client came to pick up the car. I picked him up from the train station and let him drive home. He instantly had a huge smile on his face! We came back to our facility and he checked the car over. He was impressed and after we packed up his old parts, squared up with the bill, and talked for a while he was on his way home. The very next day he called us and said the car ran amazing with no problems and made a beautiful thread explaining why he chose to make the trip all the way up here to use us on Charlie's advice. He also asked if he thought I could possibly sell some of his old parts. I said sure, after being patient with us I will make a thread and help you recover.

We stayed in touch from time to time telling me the car was still running well with no problems. About a week ago I get a call and I have his turbo kit and stock radiator sold! I called the client up, gave him the information needed and I made him $640 dollars and did not ask for a dime!

A few days ago I then get a very upset customer yelling at me stating we installed his turbo kit wrong. We are blamed for a dump tube rubbing his cbrd radiator. We would never let a car leave like this. I asked the customer to give us an extra day to insure he would have no problems. I asked the customer to please take a few pictures and report back to me to let me see the damage and we will go from there to do what it takes to get you back up and running.

I never got that call. Instead I see this from a shop in whom is very close with my tuner Charlie who used to rent dyno time from Chad often. They still speak often and I've had nothing but great things to say. I have also commented and gave my thanks in Chad's threads from time to time. This is how I get re-payed after going above and beyond? We had to go this far from a busted radiator and a little mess? Did the motor blow up the next day? NO!

Why couldn't you let the client call me back and resolve the issue Chad? Everyone knows we take care of our customer's. We aren't talking about a blown motor. I clearly would not let a car leave with a dump tube resting on the radiator. Never.

This is how far you have to go? Ridicule my respected shop from a slight mis-hap especially knowing the relationship between yourself and my tuner? I would never go above and beyond with a thread this detailed about a little accident and mock every little thing in which you felt "was not up to par." The car runs well and smooth from a tuner who praises your facility.

I get it now, we are new and a threat to the east coast but a thread like this surely does not seem ethical to me in any possible way without me even having a chance to resolve the issue on my own first in which I would of taken care of it without hesitation.

I have nothing left to say. It's sad big greedy shops have to go out of there way to bash on us. We do our own thing up here, stay out of everyone's way and get knocked around with everything anyone can find.

The funny things is, 75% of my work comes from surrounding shops and dis-satisfied customers from all over. The fact that other vendors have to chime in and gang bang the thread clearly shows no class and respect without hearing my side of the story.

Last edited by DG Motors; Nov 3, 2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 06:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow pete,

"This is how far you have to go? Ridicule my respected shop from a slight mis-hap especially knowing the relationship between yourself and my tuner? I would never go above and beyond with a thread this detailed about a little accident and mock every little thing in which you felt "was not up to par." The car runs well and smooth from a tuner who praises your facility. "

In all honestly... when all of us at the shop saw this car when it came in, we were ANGERED. Plain and simple... it was a total neglect situation.

I did not mention anything about who did it (and told our client we wouldnt).... specifically... but he wanted people to know how his car was treated.

we heard about the fan issue (it being jammed into the front rad support area with no mounting) when the car was there, and had just left. The fan itself wasnt even flip flopped so that it would operate as a push style, so it was effectively trying to fight the incoming air flow...

I will go so far as to say this, I feel Charlie shouldnt even have touched the car to tune it, until it was right... the VTA bov setup on a bov not setup to run VTA.... things like that....

But to not be able to clock the wastegates properly? i was able to make another inch of clearance within 5 minutes of touching the car.

This wasn't a bash against DG, but something to make people aware of what they should look for in attention to detail in a work being performed on their car when they are spending hard earned money.

Had the car come to us and not had all of the proper bits to make it 100%... we would have made a list and informed our client as to how to make it right.

I am not going to get into a pissing match over the web with you... I simply find th work on this car unacceptable.

What we have is a client that spends his hard earned money, but needs someone to help educate him on what is good and proper when it comes to getting him the results he wants. In my opinion, taking advantage of that, is just unacceptable in itself.

Cheers

CB

Last edited by CBRD; Nov 3, 2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 06:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I am closing this thread, mods will discuss if we should reopen it.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 07:05 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

// closed
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:49 AM

Hey guys, this is my car so I wanted to explain this situation. It’s a long story so here it goes…

I purchased equipment for my car from my tuner. He told me that since he was going to tune the car and I bought the parts from him, I could come up to where he tuned out of so the parts could be installed and he could tune it. I was told I could get a good deal on the installation. Based on that factor and that I trust my tuner I took my car to that company. I arrived on a Friday ~1pm dropped the car off and was told before I arrived there by my tuner that for an installation of a Precision TS 6265, JMFabrications T4 TwinScroll Turbo kit w/ open dump tubes, JMFabrications Drag Intake Manifold, Modified (by JMfabrications) Buschur DP, CBRD Radiator, CBRD Intercooler, 2 Tial 44 WGs, an additional inline Walbro fuel pump, 245/40ZR-17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires, RC1200 injectors and a tune it would cost me $1000, maybe even a little less. I got at the shop and talked to the shop owner and gave him the rundown of what was getting installed. He said he didn't know that some of the stuff was getting installed but that I should trust him to do the work right. He said all the clamps needed to come off the car and be replaced with T-bolts because they would definitely blow off with the power I would be making. I was told, not demanded or expected, that this work would be done close of business Saturday.

I arrived at the shop the next day to have the shop owner tell me the intake manifold was in, but my LICP was about 6 inches too short. He showed me this on the car. He told me that putting a coupler on it would get the car to run, but it would blow off on the dyno and probably blow off on the ride home. He said we would have to wait until Monday for either a fab shop that was local to come out and fix this or to contact JM Fab for a LICP. He told me that he felt rushed doing the car in a matter of days (which I can understand and was surprised to hear that it was only going to take a few days from my tuner intially) and that what I should do is give him a week and the work would be done right and the car would be perfect. So I took a bus home. Originally, since the kit was by JM fab we were going to have them make me a LICP. The shop owner told me on Monday that he could have the local fab guy weld onto the existing AMS pipe and make a straight pipe to finish the gap. I said do it. He called me throughout the week, mainly on issues they were having. He told me that the dump tubes wouldn't fit on either the passenger side or the driver side with the rad and when I spoke to his father, I was told they couldn't even make custom dump tubes that would. The shop owner later told me that they could fit them; they just needed to relocate the rad fan to the front by the AC. He told me it was fine that way and I would have no issues. After a week of them having it, my tuner had a chance to tune the car. When he started tuning it on the dyno he told me he was having issues with it. I believe he said something like when the turbo kicked in it went rich, then lean, back and forth back and forth. I remember him saying that the car was acting like one of my injectors wasn’t working and a cylinder was starving for fuel. These were brand new RC1200s that I bought, never installed and never out of the box. That was on a Friday, so my tuner stated that he would try and swap them out with some used ones to see if the injectors were the problem. Monday this was done and the same thing happened when he went to tune the car. I got a call the next day day (Tuesday) saying that my tuner kept with the tuning and it eventually just tuned out.

So in recap. I dropped the car off Friday and arrived at the shop two Wednesdays later. Let it never be said that this shop did not have enough time to work on this car since they had it nearly two weeks. The shop owner picked me up in the car with all the windows rolled down. We drove it for a few minutes back to the shop, and he had it cool down again. I looked under the hood to check some stuff out but I'm honestly no guru so unless it was something completely obvious I wouldn't of caught it. I was also told that my Apexi AVCR had been disconnected from the boost lines (because they thought it had to do with the car losing boost) and NOT reconnected, even though they had found out that the BOV was leaking boost. I questioned why it had not been hooked back up and was told by the shop owner that we (him and I) agreed to have the car tuned on a manual boost controller.

First off, let me state this. I did not speak with the shop owner about the car being tuned. I only spoke to my tuner about that since it did not involve the shop owner. Secondly, no one ever talked to me about disconnecting my avcr and hooking up a manual boost controller. So I’m not sure how the shop owner thought he could deceive me into thinking that I had agreed on something that had never been discussed.

I noticed the dump tubes primarily since that seemed to be the topic of discussion when he called. The passenger side dump tube was touching the rad. He said that was the best they could do and blamed it on the kit not being fabricated right. I was told that JM Fab mocked my turbo kit on a car without a rad fan. He said it was ok though, and said the only problem I would have with the car is the BOV venting to the atmosphere (which was not set up that way when the car got there.) I believed the shop owner because he is the professional, not me. My tuner ordered an intake pipe for the car but we both forgot to mention there needs to be an inlet pipe to recirc the BOV, so that's why it had no choice but to VTA for the time being. I drove it home (all highway) so the fan never kicked on to cool the car.

Regardless of the issues, everything (physically besides what was mentioned previously) seemed fine initially (or at least to me). On Thursday (the next day) I drove back and forth to work in rush hour traffic and I heard that something was hitting/rubbing against something under the hood. I pulled the car over and was trying to find out what the noise was. It's then I noticed that the fan was rubbing something, although I could not see what. I could physically move the fan 360 degrees about 3 inches in any given direction so I could tell it was not tied down whatsoever. I called up the shop owner and complained. Once again he stated it was the turbo kit's fault because they couldn't fit the fan in front of the rad where it should of been. He said he would get back to me in a few hours with a smaller fan that I could install. I thought I was going to be taken care of by the shop owner (because he said he would) so I when I discussed the work that was done by this shop with other individuals, I left out all the issues I was having with the car. Two weeks later I called them again because I did not receive a call back (I was in vacation at Myrtle Beach and did not drive my car). He said he could not find a fan smaller then what I had and that I would need a new exhaust manifold to fix the issue with the fan. I kept dealing with the noise, eventually planning on taking it to CBRD to have them fix the work. I just didn't have the money (and still don't since that $1000 install “deal” that i was told somehow turned into $2700!!! Can you believe I was charged $250 for that LICP fab work?!?) to have CBRD check up on the car. I'd call the shop owner and ask if there was anything he could do to fix this noise since it is loud and obnoxious and he'd tell me it was the turbo kit's fault.

I didn't get on the car much since the turbo was installed because it spools late and I drive primarily in rush hour traffic. Plus it's REALLY loud when the wastegates open and it dumps to the atmosphere. I got off work one day and started on my way home. I've been keeping an eye on my thermostat ever since the turbo was installed because the fan was rubbing. I noticed that at ~70 degrees the fan would kick on and rub so I would try to avoid getting the temps that high the best that I could to avoid people staring and thinking I drove a piece of junk. I was on the highway where my temps usually drop to ~55-60 degrees. I noticed that at highway speeds the temps were still at 70. After driving at highway speeds for a few minutes it still stayed at 70. There was a backup jam ahead due to an accident, so I was at a stop and the temps went up higher to 80, which I had never seen before. I heard some strange noises at the front of my car. I waited about a minute more and the temps went up to 90. I knew something was wrong at this point and pulled over and popped the hood. Under initial inspection of the car there appeared to be fluid leaking out of the rad from where the passenger side dump tube had been touching the rad because there was fluid dripping from the dump tube. I called up Caleb @ CBRD and explained the situation to him. I had the car towed to CBRD where they contacted me and took pictures posted in the first post of the work the shop did. I honestly couldn't believe it at first but don't know why as how they left me hanging with the fan rubbing. Since the initial post by CBRD, MORE items have been found to be either installed incorrectly or damaged due to them installing equipment. The following list is what was found:
1. Fan not mounted, shoved in front rad support area
2. Fan cutting through ac condenser core
3. Dump tubes clocked wrong, wore through brand new rad, and lower hose. JM Fab sent them pictures on how to install them correctly but it’s obvious they were ignored.
4. Fins all smashed on brand new cbrd radiator
5. Inlet pipe smashed against ACD reservoir
6. Lower intercooler pipe cut (ams style) and then paired to an aluminum bend with bead welded ends.... the pipe had pieces broken off around the end radius, and the AMS pipe was cut where its about 2 1/16th inch, not where its 2.5" so you had a 2.5" pipe, through 2.5" coupler onto a 2 1/16th pipe
7. Oil feed line was jammed up against the t4 flange on turbo (no turbo oil restrictor)
8. Water line from block to turbo was kinked into a "V" shape
9. Oil return line was a -10 (5/8") size hose on a -8 fitting at the turbo (1/2") and slide onto the factory hose below, and was leaking.
10. No gasket at the oil return, just RTV
11. The fitting on the oil return flange at the turbo was cut off, and another fitting was threaded into it
12. The 44mm tial had the bolt lead on the nipple for the vaccuum source cut down, instead of clocking the wastegate

Much more then a small mishap. There is more, I literally have an invoice 3 pages long filled with stuff that was done wrong.

Since then I have gotten in contact with the shop and talked about getting some sort of refund on what I paid them to install this equipment in the first place since it obviously has not been installed correctly. They have declined to give me anything. Let me take that back. I was told by the shop that they would give me a refund on the rad and partially on the labor if I posted on these forums that I overreacted about this entire situation and basically stated that this was my entire fault and that the shop was good and great. I don’t think I have to explain to anyone how ridiculous that statement is. I was also told that I cost the shop a lot of money because of the terrible job THEY did on the car! So that’s the story on what happened with my car. Let me emphasize the purpose of this thread: Make sure the shop you choose to get the work on your car done is trustworthy, honest and knows what they are doing. I went through this nightmare but you don’t have to!

I cannot say enough about CBRD and how they bent over backwards to help me out with fixing my car, keep me informed and offering to help me out in any way they could. Please do not ever hesitate to call them up and have them do work on your car. Thanks

~Steve
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
/// Re-closed with members input.