Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Non CDI Coil On PLug: Really worth it?? Good read!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CMB
I already agreed that these might be good for people making high HP, per your example. My arguement is that these units are sold to unwary customers who wont be making that kind of power and are replacing a capable system for nothing. TRUTH is the regular guys wont be seeing any gains...
And if gains are seen. Is it really the COP or can the same be seen by freshening up the stock system. ie, plugs, boots, wires, replacement coil

Oh and I have no doubt the X-Brand non CDI vs Z Brand Non-CDI will perform exactly the same. Using the same coil type
Old Nov 4, 2009, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Sir the only TRUTH here is you are not a happy customer. The TRUTH is you don't want to be a happy customer either. We have sold over 200 of these systems and haven't had to refund anyone. Maybe that is the problem, we made a great product and by the looks of all the ignition threads popping up recently we have claimed too much market share. An easier solution would be to build a better product but instead you and a few others are wasting time to try and prove it is not needed.

You do realize we have also had many customers reporting a gain in mpg of about 2-4mpg's. These are the average guys with around 3-400hp range.
CMB
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
And if gains are seen. Is it really the COP or can the same be seen by freshening up the stock system. ie, plugs, boots, wires, replacement coil
Wow, great point! Good question
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some of you guys need to read around, EVERY EVO IS DIFFERENT, just because some people can make that HP does not mean every evo can. They try and fail and break rods and toast motors pushing them because "xyz" made 500+ so why can't I. The deal is this, for $600 dollars there are many ways to spend it and make +10 horsepower. You can compensate for 10 horsepower through weight reductions. I still have yet to see anyone claim they will make a guaranteed 10 horsepower as the OP said. Where in the hell is this guarantee from SparkTech?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 09:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gsrboi80

Oh and I have no doubt the X-Brand non CDI vs Z Brand Non-CDI will perform exactly the same. Using the same coil type
How can you compare a NEW vs USED item? Our coils are warrantied for 2yrs not 6months.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
In the example above, your problem could have been many things. You might have had a bad plug lead. Bad stock coil. etc. I don't think it's possible that needing to change plugs every 2500 miles is normal for a stock coil, stock ecu, stock turbo car! If it was Mitsu failed!

I do appreciate your story, but I don't think it is any clear evidence the stock ignition was not up to par. Now would the SparkTech system be cheaper than two new coils? Maybe. Always best to get a friend with an Evo to loan you his coils and leads if you have ignition problems to rule them out.
I'll strike that from the record since I updated my post with full details including trying other coils. I tried an almost brand new stock system (it looked new and was supposedly however if you would like guarantee it I will gladly do a full on test. Just paypal me the money for new stock coils and I'll send you the results).
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by SparkTech
How can you compare a NEW vs USED item? Our coils are warrantied for 2yrs not 6months.
Oh don't get me wrong I'm not. Nor would I buy any used coil COP kit ever. Warranty is a good thing never questioned your customer focus or accomplishments

Just never saw any raw data that's all.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CMB
Sure. Or it could be a physcological gain, being that the customer spent some money so it must be working
Around here we call that "the ARC effect".
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:31 AM
CMB
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SparkTech
^ Sir the only TRUTH here is you are not a happy customer. The TRUTH is you don't want to be a happy customer either. We have sold over 200 of these systems and haven't had to refund anyone. Maybe that is the problem, we made a great product and by the looks of all the ignition threads popping up recently we have claimed too much market share. An easier solution would be to build a better product but instead you and a few others are wasting time to try and prove it is not needed.

You do realize we have also had many customers reporting a gain in mpg of about 2-4mpg's. These are the average guys with around 3-400hp range.
I do want to be happy sir, but forking over $600 for nothing doesnt have that effect on me. I also didnt see any increase in MPG, so dont try and push daisy's up my rear.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:42 AM
CMB
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05blue8
Some of you guys need to read around, EVERY EVO IS DIFFERENT, just because some people can make that HP does not mean every evo can. They try and fail and break rods and toast motors pushing them because "xyz" made 500+ so why can't I. The deal is this, for $600 dollars there are many ways to spend it and make +10 horsepower. You can compensate for 10 horsepower through weight reductions. I still have yet to see anyone claim they will make a guaranteed 10 horsepower as the OP said. Where in the hell is this guarantee from SparkTech?

From their site:

The NonCDI system is an affordable option, designed for the stock ECU daily drivers, up to 750HP. This system is not upgradable to the CDI system. This system is 100% plug & play, taking about 15 minutes to install. It has been proven to work efficiently with upgraded turbos, including the 'FP Red'.This system has outperformed the HKS Dli in back to back independent dyno testing and doesn't have the Reliability issues that the Dli has been plagued with. We also saw an increase of 7-10whp compared to stock coils. This system comes standard with the wrinkle black powder coated mounting plate, military spec wire, heat sleeving and SS mounting hardware. If you plan on running Nitrous we'd recommend one of our cdi based systems as this can be more demanding on an Ignition system. See review . This system comes with a 2year warranty.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread is done. It is one thing to complain a mod didn't help performance it is another start generalizing that products dont work.

Last edited by MR Turco; Nov 4, 2009 at 10:54 AM.