Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Non CDI Coil On PLug: Really worth it?? Good read!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:02 AM
CMB
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non CDI Coil On PLug: Really worth it?? Good read!

From my experiance, I own a non CDI COP that I bought not long ago. It was a higher dollar well known unit that I will not name for obvious reasons. My car makes about 390whp. Now there are 2 companys selling these units and they both say you will make at least 10hp more but you will FEEL the super smooth accelaration and other hype. I put mine on and i honestly felt NOTHING.

My concern is these companys fail to tell you that the power gains are for higher HP cars that may be losing spark at high boost like above 34 PSI! The dollar spent for the performance received is not so appealing....Then I come across 2 threads that just make me laugh

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/dr...satisfied.html

Originally Posted by evovin
Listen to the misfire.... in 2nd and 3rd gear

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...y-e85-ttp.html

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Its a COP unit we had on the car before dynotesting while installing the FMIC. Once we moved to stock coils the spark improved. 50psi+ was able to be achieved without a miss on stock coils.

Now both these higher HP cars are not getting any benefits either, one has one brand COP and the other has the second brand COP.....Same result.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:07 AM
CMB
Evolving Member

Mods please let the public hear the facts! Please dont close the thread as the price spent on these are not a drop in the bucket! I am not bashing and have not named names. There are also people that swear by them, although it seems they are sponsored...hmm
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for the alternative view. I wonder if a lot of the "gains" people are seeing with the COP units are merely from replacing old spark plugs with new ones.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:20 AM
CMB
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Thanks for the alternative view. I wonder if a lot of the "gains" people are seeing with the COP units are merely from replacing old spark plugs with new ones.

Sure. Or it could be a physcological gain, being that the customer spent some money so it must be working
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run the Buschur ignition system and had to switch to stock coils at the track because of a blown fuse to the M&W box. To my surprise I ran 42 psi without a single miss. Couldn't tell the difference.

I originally bought the Buschur CDI because years ago I had a tuner flying in and I didn't want ignition related issues stopping the tuning. So I just went for it. It might have been a waste but hard to say.

Keep in mind I run very good plugs (denso iw31 - $25 each), and the Autronic I think controls the ignition very well. I think a lot of the need for CDI was for AEM users because it does not control the Evo ignition well.

I'd say if you have an ignition miss, change plugs, plug leads, coils, and if still no luck, then consider a coil-on-plug system. If you don't have a miss, I wouldn't make the change.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I would love to see a test of a new non-CDI COP unit vs. the stock coils with new wires/boots using the same new spark plugs.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Al uses the stock ignition on his drag car.......
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's why I never buy anything without having technical specs and a ton of research. I never take anyone's 'word' when I am spending my money.

Not to get too off topic, but a somewhat good case in point is new turbos. So many shops are developing new turbos these days, but if you don't show me hard data, such as mass airflow or a compressor map, turbine backpressure logs, etc, then I can't just take their 'word' that it works and they dyno'd at xxx whp.

So, for these COP setups, have these vendors published any hard scientific/technical specifications about them or do they just have one of their sponsors say it worked? If the latter, who's to blame?

Last edited by l2r99gst; Nov 4, 2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:25 AM
CMB
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crcain
I run the Buschur ignition system and had to switch to stock coils at the track because of a blown fuse to the M&W box. To my surprise I ran 42 psi without a single miss. Couldn't tell the difference.

I originally bought the Buschur CDI because years ago I had a tuner flying in and I didn't want ignition related issues stopping the tuning. So I just went for it. It might have been a waste but hard to say.

Keep in mind I run very good plugs (denso iw31 - $25 each), and the Autronic I think controls the ignition very well. I think a lot of the need for CDI was for AEM users because it does not control the Evo ignition well.

I'd say if you have an ignition miss, change plugs, plug leads, coils, and if still no luck, then consider a coil-on-plug system. If you don't have a miss, I wouldn't make the change.

Even though we are discussing the NON CDI, your points are well taken. The people that run a CDI COP are mostly in need of them as they are usually race motors that are upward of 40+ LBS of boost and I feel that they have been proven to work on those applications. I dont think BR would sell them if they didnt work, thats why he doesnt sell a NON CDI unit!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From my experience - I went with a non-CDI SparkTech unit and it made a huge difference. Info on my car at the time - stock motor, BC 272 cams, 28 lbs of boost, stock turbo, all the bolt-ons under the sun, 35k miles. My plugs were gapped at .019 and still having spark blow out issues. I had a reputable tuner from this site working on my car at the time and the answer was the same, gap small, gap small, gap smaller. I bought some very gently used stock VIII coils (at least that's what the seller said) and swapped them in, same issue. It was ridiculous and I was already running one step colder plugs. I put on the non-CDI unit and opened the plugs back up to .031 and I had 0 issues and still have 0 issues. I sold those and still have my stock coils.

Just to be sure I did check the SparkTech website (if this is who you are referring to) and saw no guarantee of gains of 10 horsepower, just a guarantee that you would feel a difference and that's obvious, my spark wasn't blowing out anymore and I've run these plugs for 6k so far and before this I was literally changing then out with every oil change at 2500 miles. I'm also still on the stock turbo with a 35R being installed this weekend hopefully. I'm not saying you are talking about SparkTech, I am saying that if you happen to be, I will personally vouch for the difference it's made on my car.

Something else everyone needs to realize is that just because some of the fastest evo's in the world don't need a COP system doesn't mean everyday drivers won't. Why you ask? Because those evos also have some of the best tuners in the world making sure everything is in perfect order. Does every IX make 400 hp on the stock turbo? Does every stock motor make it to 500hp before a rod breaks? Does every car with the exact same build as "XYZ's" drag car make that much horsepower? No to all the above. There are more threads asking why can't my evo make that horsepower if his did with the same mods than I can count and we all know the answer, every single evo is different unfortuantely.

Last edited by 05blue8; Nov 4, 2009 at 06:37 AM.
Former Sponsor

I can only speak of our products. If you or anyone else has 1 of our products and don't feel it is working correctly. We encourage you to drop us an email info@sparktechignitions.net. Whether you purchased it used or new we stand behind our products 100%. If it can't be repaired we will buy it back at fair market value. We would like to see a pic of this system. Would you take one and post it?

There are many documented accounts that our system works and works well. We only sell NEW systems. That way the customer gets coils that ALL meet stringent testing. With used coils, out of multiple cars of varying age...from who knows where. Performance from coil to coil will vary and it is only common sense to assume some cylinders would be weaker than others.

Here are a few examples of our non-cdi system at work. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...turbo-kit.html

Results...not promises https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-ignition.html
CMB
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
That's why I never buy anything without having technical specs and a ton of research. I never take anyone's 'word' when I am spending my money.

So, for these COP setups, have these vendors published any hard scientific/technical specifications about them or do they just have one of their sponsors say it worked? If the latter, who's to blame?
Good question, I have not seen any real before or after data. Just a lot of sponsored guys saying how great they are...and I took the bait!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:32 AM
CMB
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05blue8
I can tell you that I went with a non-CDI SparkTech unit and it made a huge difference. My plugs were gapped at .21 and still having spark blow out issues, it was ridiculous and I was already running one step colder plugs. I put on the non-CDI unit and opened the plugs back up and I had 0 issues. Just to be sure I did check the SparkTech website and saw no guarantee of gains of 10 horsepower, just a guarantee that you would feel a difference and that's obvious, my spark wasn't blowing out anymore and I've run these plugs for 6k so far and before this I was literally changing then out with every oil change at 2500 miles. I'm also still on the stock turbo with a 35R being installed this weekend hopefully. I'm not saying you are talking about SparkTech, I am saying that if you happen to be, I will personally vouch for the difference it's made on my car.
I do think that if you were having issues before and put one of these units on a car using high boost you will see a benefit over a stock setup. But shouldnt it be marketed that way??
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:35 AM
Former Sponsor

^Pic of said system please
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05blue8
I can tell you that I went with a non-CDI SparkTech unit and it made a huge difference. My plugs were gapped at .21 and still having spark blow out issues, it was ridiculous and I was already running one step colder plugs. I put on the non-CDI unit and opened the plugs back up and I had 0 issues. Just to be sure I did check the SparkTech website and saw no guarantee of gains of 10 horsepower, just a guarantee that you would feel a difference and that's obvious, my spark wasn't blowing out anymore and I've run these plugs for 6k so far and before this I was literally changing then out with every oil change at 2500 miles. I'm also still on the stock turbo with a 35R being installed this weekend hopefully. I'm not saying you are talking about SparkTech, I am saying that if you happen to be, I will personally vouch for the difference it's made on my car.
In the example above, your problem could have been many things. You might have had a bad plug lead. Bad stock coil. etc. I don't think it's possible that needing to change plugs every 2500 miles is normal for a stock coil, stock ecu, stock turbo car! If it was Mitsu failed!

I do appreciate your story, but I don't think it is any clear evidence the stock ignition was not up to par. Now would the SparkTech system be cheaper than two new coils? Maybe. Always best to get a friend with an Evo to loan you his coils and leads if you have ignition problems to rule them out.

Quick Reply: Non CDI Coil On PLug: Really worth it?? Good read!