Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

3" vs 3.5" IC and fp-red

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009 | 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
35r varient here w/ ETS 3.5in core. Pull after pull, log after log, DLL after DLL no sign of heatsoaking it, enducing knock, pulled timing or power loss PERIOD

I'm sorry I don't believe the Garrett hype
hmm i wonder how much the 3" would have heat soaked?
Old Nov 7, 2009 | 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

i have the 3 inch ets core with my fp red and i had my car tuned when it was 90+ degrees and humid. my tuner said the car was really struggling due to the heat soak so i think you should go for a 3.5inch at least. he did 3 pulls back to back and after the 2nd pull my car would lose about 40whp.
Old Nov 7, 2009 | 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
You can run the 3.0" version, but to get all the power on the Red 450+ I would recommend going with the 3.5" version which will max out reds capabilities.

Thanks!

Michael
So you now have the numbers? Those have been asked from you several years ago?
Just a reminder: http://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18708&page=2

Btw, is your IC for evo direct bolt-on fitting without any modification?
Old Nov 7, 2009 | 12:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jouniu

What do you mean by do we have numbers? We have severals cars running our intercoolers. They are a direct bolt, no cutting required from 3.0" to 3.5" the 4.0" will require minor trimming on the crash beam in some cases. 5.0" and 6.0" will need trimming or removal of the bumper beam.

We use the same core on our 8 sec / 980hp+ 1G, 1100hp/8 sec Evo 8, low 8 sec MK4 supra, 730hp+ evo x, etc. The ETS core has been proven over and over again.

Any questions, let me know!

Thanks,

Michael
Old Nov 7, 2009 | 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jouniu

Yes the ETS FMIC is a direct replacement and can even be used with stock piping. The took an hour to type on my Iphone! HAHA
Old Nov 7, 2009 | 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
Yes the ETS FMIC is a direct replacement and can even be used with stock piping. The took an hour to type on my Iphone! HAHA
Michael beat me to it!
Old Nov 7, 2009 | 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Go with Buschur Race FMIC....the best FMIC in the market, hands down !!!
Old Nov 7, 2009 | 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by N33d4sp33d
Go with Buschur Race FMIC....the best FMIC in the market, hands down !!!
What really bugs me with ICs and other tuning parts in particular is the fact that people state things like this as a facts without having any data to back it up. Now i'm not saying that the Buschur race FMIC would not be a good piece of kit, it might be the dogs bollocks and reach efficiencies over 98% for all i know, since no data is available.

once again, you are going to do just as well with a 100$ china IC than with a 800+ $ brand IC.
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/kiina_stressi.pdf

here are even the efficiencies calculated out for you on a stress test. now when a 3" 530x300 core is running a 90% efficiency i'd really like to see how much gain you would have in sinking 700$ more to the IC.

its from the thread http://www.saablink.net/forum/showth...t=18708&page=2 which mike i think you should remember.

IC along with delivery pipes, air filters and on some applications the induction coils are one of the things with most hype and least data floating around.
Old Nov 7, 2009 | 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lekonna
What really bugs me with ICs.... is the fact that people state things like this as a facts without having any data to back it up.... you are going to do just as well with a 100$ china IC than with a 800+ $ brand IC.....
This is EvoM, not The Mickey Mouse Club, or Captain Kangaroo, so you are bound to get some dissenting opinions. I was recently suspended for merely telling another bloke that he was wrong. Otherwise, I would gladly take issue with your minimalist thematicism.
Old Nov 7, 2009 | 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Some of these replies are bogus!!!

I have the 3inch ETS and on my dyno tune did about 6-7runs @30psi with no more than 5 min cool downs and still put down over 430/425. It actually went up from the 1st couple runs. This was in 85+ temps.
Old Nov 8, 2009 | 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Here we go again... More BS FMIC talk. LONG STORY SHORT! Get whatever you want. I'll stick with my Garrett, you can stick with the Chinese...

What we really need is ER to take their drag car, run it with a 3.8 Garrett core = ??? then run the 3.5 Ebay core = ??? I would love to see the difference. The goal is to heat soak both, and with 1,000hp they both will quite easily but I guarantee you that the Garrett with not heat soak near as bad.

Mikey

Last edited by BLKCarbonEVO; Nov 8, 2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Added
Old Nov 8, 2009 | 01:39 AM

Here we go again... More BS FMIC talk. LONG STORY SHORT! Get whatever you want. I'll stick with my Garrett, you can stick with the Chinese...

What we really need is ER to take their drag car, run it with a 3.8 Garrett core = ??? then run the 3.5 Ebay core = ??? I would love to see the difference. The goal is to heat soak both, and with 1,000hp they both will quite easily but I guarantee you that the Garrett with not heat soak near as bad.

Mikey
I think the topic was about 3" or 3.5" IC for the fp-red.

Sure I'd like to see some comparisons done on the different cores just for comparisons sake, the more info the better.

I've tried an IC on my car that was rated for 3000hp on a tracktor pulling application, though it made for a ****-poor IC for a car. When you are trying to kill a fly, maybe M1 abrams isn't the best tool for the job.
Old Nov 8, 2009 | 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

^^^ thank you,

my question: is it worth selling my 3" ets ic for a 3.5" ic with an fp-red setup???

how much do you guys think i would gain with the 3.5" over the 3"???
Old Nov 8, 2009 | 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
^^^ thank you,

my question: is it worth selling my 3" ets ic for a 3.5" ic with an fp-red setup???

how much do you guys think i would gain with the 3.5" over the 3"???
How is the 3" ic doing with your current setup? do you have any data ?

If its working ok, then keep it and measure how it copes with the bigger turbo. If then the temps look like they are rising too high, check for alternatives. which doesn't necessarily mean just going for a thicker version of the same model.

As bigger turbos are more efficient in moving larger quantities of air than small ones pushed to their absolute limits, this results in more air going through in lower pressure ratios. Which means that less temp is generated during the compression. So if you don't plan on tuning the turbo all the way to the right you might end up with lower temps, pressures and more power than with the stock turbo.

as a side-note, refering to cars that have x horsepower or do n seconds on the quarter is not really a reference on how well the actual IC is doing on that application. there are cars running low 8's without ICs. What counts is what is the temperature and airflow going in the IC and what is the temp coming out of the ic in relation to the ambient temp.
Old Nov 8, 2009 | 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Mikey
i never thought id hear that from someone that lives in washington. good for you, you made a excellent choice let the rest figure it out for themselves because everyone on this site are i/c experts.

jeff

Quick Reply: 3" vs 3.5" IC and fp-red