Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Using port on Oil filter housing for FP oil feed line, now where do I put oil temp?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Awesome thanks for your help
Old Apr 5, 2010, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember, the oil filter threads are BPT, not NPT. Also, Defi sensors are 1/8" BPT
Old Apr 6, 2010, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kane.s2k
Remember, the oil filter threads are BPT, not NPT. Also, Defi sensors are 1/8" BPT
That is correct, of course use the street tee "after" the adapter.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

I did the tee thing and my oil temp gauge is reading about 40 degrees cooler than it used to be. Im assuming because the oil flow over the sensor is not enough. Any more ideas? Im thinking about teeing the oil temp sensor with the fp oil line if its possible. This way the temp sensor gets good flow also.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
I did the tee thing and my oil temp gauge is reading about 40 degrees cooler than it used to be. Im assuming because the oil flow over the sensor is not enough. Any more ideas? Im thinking about teeing the oil temp sensor with the fp oil line if its possible. This way the temp sensor gets good flow also.
What kind of tee did you use? I did mine and the oil temp was just like it was before. I put the temp sensor in the straight opening and the oil pressure in the 90 degree opening. get it?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by I4UnderPressure
What kind of tee did you use? I did mine and the oil temp was just like it was before. I put the temp sensor in the straight opening and the oil pressure in the 90 degree opening. get it?
Yea the napa by me didnt have exactly what you pictured. I used a normal tee. I guess I can purchase the one you showed me in the link and try that before I do what I said.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Ok now that I have more time since its winter I want to do something about this oil temp gauge. The tee works but I dont think its accurate since it doesn't get oil flow over it. I'm thinking of maybe using the oil pan drain plug but not sure where to get drain plug from. Im also looking to maybe go off of one of the ports off the head as someone said in this thread earlier. Maybe Im expecting the oil temp to read higher than it should. What is your avg oil temp reading after about 20-30min of normal driving? If Im on the highway and driving hard it might hit 190F. The BMWs I drive with oil temp sensors read between 200-250F with normal driving. 300F driving hard.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Ok now that I have more time since its winter I want to do something about this oil temp gauge. The tee works but I dont think its accurate since it doesn't get oil flow over it. I'm thinking of maybe using the oil pan drain plug but not sure where to get drain plug from. Im also looking to maybe go off of one of the ports off the head as someone said in this thread earlier. Maybe Im expecting the oil temp to read higher than it should. What is your avg oil temp reading after about 20-30min of normal driving? If Im on the highway and driving hard it might hit 190F. The BMWs I drive with oil temp sensors read between 200-250F with normal driving. 300F driving hard.
I have mine on a "T" by the oil filter and I would read 190 around crusing and around 200-220 after a tad bit of hard driving. So I don't think your reading would be too much of a problem there.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
there are two hex plugs on the oil filter housing.. i would much rather log oil pressure then oil temp also. i have my aem using the 2nd hex plug on the oil filter housing theres plenty of room even with an adapter fitting.

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Lanc...ptor_p_54.html

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/EVO-89_c_90.html

i just noticed you already have oil pressure, i dont see why you need oil temp.. seems overkill to me. but ya since you already have the 2 fittings already used on the oil filter housing.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Dec 17, 2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by o-townFLA
get one of these from Prosport Gauges...

http://prosportgauges.com/oil-filter-adaptor-plate.aspx

wow. thats a cool product right there.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
there are two hex plugs on the oil filter housing.. i would much rather log oil pressure then oil temp also. i have my aem using the 2nd hex plug on the oil filter housing theres plenty of room even with an adapter fitting.

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Lanc...ptor_p_54.html

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/EVO-89_c_90.html

i just noticed you already have oil pressure, i dont see why you need oil temp.. seems overkill to me. but ya since you already have the 2 fittings already used on the oil filter housing.
Well I have a spot for 3 gauges and one is for oil temp. There are only 2 ports on the oil filter housing. I'm using one for the black oil feed and other for the tee. I want to get rid of the tee.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Why not use a "T" for the turbo feed line and oil pressure and then the other fitting strictly for your temp? The oil pressure sensor should not stick out far enough to disrupt oil flow to the turbo feed line.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Guys, just do what the factory did - put the oil temp sender in the oil pan (replace the stock sender/drain plug) with the proper plug / sender for your gauge. I am using VDO gauges (love the OEM look) and a VDO drain plug / sending unit. As I documented in another thread, moving the sending unit to the oil pan vs. the sandwich plate, will lower your gauge temps as the oil in the pan appears to be ~20+ degrees cooler.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
Guys, just do what the factory did - put the oil temp sender in the oil pan (replace the stock sender/drain plug) with the proper plug / sender for your gauge. I am using VDO gauges (love the OEM look) and a VDO drain plug / sending unit. As I documented in another thread, moving the sending unit to the oil pan vs. the sandwich plate, will lower your gauge temps as the oil in the pan appears to be ~20+ degrees cooler.
I might try the oil pan drain plug method. I just dont know where to get a plug that will fit my autometer oil temp sensor.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

I might try the oil pan drain plug method. I just dont know where to get a plug that will fit my autometer oil temp sensor.
Call 42DraftDesign or Summit Racing....

Quick Reply: Using port on Oil filter housing for FP oil feed line, now where do I put oil temp?