Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Using port on Oil filter housing for FP oil feed line, now where do I put oil temp?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
Call 42DraftDesign or Summit Racing....
Thanks for the website. Here is the drain plug link for others.
http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Univ...Plug_p_58.html
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There are 2 ports on the oil filter housing...one is clean oil and one is dirty oil...I just put the AMS remote oil line in the dirty oil port...still has the same pressure as the clean oil port...my AEM oil pressure gauge reads how it should...I've had it installed there since September...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
There are 2 ports on the oil filter housing...one is clean oil and one is dirty oil...I just put the AMS remote oil line in the dirty oil port...still has the same pressure as the clean oil port...my AEM oil pressure gauge reads how it should...I've had it installed there since September...
We are talking about oil temp though.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
We are talking about oil temp though.
haha...sorry...had a brain fart while reading the thread title...haha...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cij911
Guys, just do what the factory did - put the oil temp sender in the oil pan (replace the stock sender/drain plug) with the proper plug / sender for your gauge. I am using VDO gauges (love the OEM look) and a VDO drain plug / sending unit. As I documented in another thread, moving the sending unit to the oil pan vs. the sandwich plate, will lower your gauge temps as the oil in the pan appears to be ~20+ degrees cooler.
While that is where Mitsubishi put the oil temp sensor for the MR's, curious why you want the oil temps to be reading 20*+ cooler?

I like all the options you guys have posted, seems to come down to preference really. I being a track **** want the most warning of when my water + oil temps/pressure get out of wack.

Thanks for all the different solutions guys!

will
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by willitas34
While that is where Mitsubishi put the oil temp sensor for the MR's, curious why you want the oil temps to be reading 20*+ cooler?

I like all the options you guys have posted, seems to come down to preference really. I being a track **** want the most warning of when my water + oil temps/pressure get out of wack.

Thanks for all the different solutions guys!

will
That's what I'm looking for also. More accuracy. Of course I could just subtract 20 degrees from the oil pan reading but I would rather have the gauge read accurately. I'm thinking an oil supply from the head would give good reading just not sure how to go about doing it. For now I ordered the drain plug adapter.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just use a Y fitting, or use a sensor adapted into the oil drain plug. I have oil temp on the drain plug, the oil pressure on the unfiltered HP oil feed from the pump housing and the regular pressure sensor there also.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

I have a y fitting now but its reading way below what it should because its not in the flow path of oil. Before I had the black turbo I had the temp sensor in the spot where the black turbo feed line is now. It was reading perfectly. Not its not since its in the y fitting.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Ok now I have the oil temp sensor mounted in the oil pan and it does read about 10 degrees hotter than the y fitting did. It is also about 20F outside. After about 20 min of driving Im only hitting about 145-150 degrees. Is this reading normal? I guess it would be if the above post said the oil pan reading is about 20 degrees cooler right? I also noticed when I start getting up to speed the oil temp drops to 135-140F. Im also thinking maybe my oil t-stat might be stuck open since its not supposed to open untill around 175F.. Has anyone heard of this happening before? I might open a new thread about my problem to maybe get more answers.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Thanks for the website. Here is the drain plug link for others.
http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Univ...Plug_p_58.html
Do you, or anyone know if they have something like this but with a 1/8" BSPT female threads?

I am getting a Defi VSD Concept from a friend and it looks like all the sensors are BSPT(Only states PT on the site so I assume they are not NPT)

http://www.defi-shop.com/product/con...ept_parts.html

I think I will use one of the hex plugs on the filter housing for Oil Pressure but would like to keep one free for when I upgrade to a BBK-B type turbo possibly, and maybe an Accusump. Any of the big turbo(30/35R) guys running there oil line from the oil filter housing, or just from the block?

Should I just use it and move it in the future to the block if I do decide to upgrade to a stock framed turbo large enough to need higher pressure oil feed line? Also, the hex plugs are BSPT threads correct?

Thanks,

will

Last edited by willitas34; Jan 6, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by willitas34
Do you, or anyone know if they have something like this but with a 1/8" BSPT female threads?

I am getting a Defi VSD Concept from a friend and it looks like all the sensors are BSPT(Only states PT on the site so I assume they are not NPT)

http://www.defi-shop.com/product/con...ept_parts.html

I think I will use one of the hex plugs on the filter housing for Oil Pressure but would like to keep one free for when I upgrade to a BBK-B type turbo possibly, and maybe an Accusump. Any of the big turbo(30/35R) guys running there oil line from the oil filter housing, or just from the block?

Should I just use it and move it in the future to the block if I do decide to upgrade to a stock framed turbo large enough to need higher pressure oil feed line? Also, the hex plugs are BSPT threads correct?

Thanks,

will
Not sure about the thread pitch. I would definitely use one of the hex plugs on the oil filter housing. Or you can just tee off of the factory oil pressure port. I just thought of doing that myself and putting the oil temp sensor in the oil filter housing. The ball bearing turbo guys dont need an oil supply from the oil filter. Thats because bb turbos dont need that much pressure just flow.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to be clear. Both ports that have a hex plug in them will see oil pressure?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 05:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by tygermech
Just to be clear. Both ports that have a hex plug in them will see oil pressure?
correct.
i'm using one for my oil temp, and one for the FP Turbo oil line.
Pretty sure one is pre oil cooler, the other is post oil cooler.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so very much. This was a difficult answer to find. Im using this OFH on my DSM and need another port for a stock pressure sensor.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
if you have the oil filter housing off the car, and remove the hex plugs you can easily work out where the oil comes and goes from. Thats how i learnt

Quick Reply: Using port on Oil filter housing for FP oil feed line, now where do I put oil temp?