Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fixing the flutter and stalling with my HKS VTA and SAFCII...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixing the flutter and stalling with my HKS VTA and SAFCII...

Ok so I just recently installed a HKS SSQ VTA BOV which is truly awesome. This thing seriously makes people jump it is so loud. Needless to say that it has a few issues of its own. First off it flutters quite a bit on deceleration and I have messed with tightening and loosening the spring dozens of time which seems to have no effect in any way with the fluttering or performance of the vehicle. The only other thing it does on occasion is when you come to a stop and put it in neutral the RPM's will drop so much that it almost dies but it doesn't actually die and the RPM's rise again to normal, it only does this every once in a while though. So this leads me to my questions. I have an Apexi SAFCII and I was wondering since this is a Air/Fuel Controller if there is any way I can dial out some of this unwanted stalling and fluttering? I am really new to the SAFCII so I am not sure what everything does on it. I have all of the high throttle settings at 4000k and up set to negative numbers and I noticed a huge increase with that however I do not know what the benefit of having low throttle settings would be or if there is anything else I can change to help solve some of this problem. I am not expecting a instant solution but if there is anyone on here who knows anything about tuning the SAFCII to optimize the performance of the car I would really appreciate your help. My only mods are the VTA BOV and the SAFCII and I have my boost turned up to 22psi. I am a little confused ont he SAFCII what alot of the things mean. For example if I am running -11% at 7000rpms does that mean with the negative number that I am decreasing fuel and therefore leaning it out, and if it was a possitive number I would be adding fuel and therefore making it rich. There is alot of settings on this SAFCII that don't make alot of sense to me and I am not sure how to tune this because the ONLY place around here who has an AWD dyno says they do not tune the SAFCII, they only tune the Evo with the XEDE. With this being said I am wondering what I can do to better these settings for my car. Sorry for the long post I am just looking for as much help as I can get here.

Thanks
Chris
Old Oct 23, 2003, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

TTT
Old Oct 24, 2003, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Well needless to say I have experienced the same problem with a TurboXS Type H valve that is VTA. There are several threads that talk about this very issue but alot of people can get a little nasty with their responce. Basicall the SAFCII Decel feature doesn't work with the EVO becuase of the Karman air flow calculation. So basiacally it won't do anything for you at all, also you can't tune negative number below 30% throttle because your ECU will learn it out eventually and it will run to lean anyways. So honestly you car will just run rich and you will need to change your driving style to addapt and help with the stalling. This is really the only way that you can keep the BOV in the VTA mode. I would suggest that you buy the recurcilation kit for the BOV to keep your driveablility. If you don't you will notice that you will be running extremely rich on the bottom. If you will belch alot of black smoke between shifts and you will have alot of black soot on your tail pipe quickly. Just so you know several people have the same want that you do and to get the sound and keep the driveablilty all you need to do is install a intake and cone filter. This will cost you about 200-225 and you will get the BOV sound like you are venting out and your spool on your trubo will be much much louder. It is the best mod for you money that you can do on a stock evo if you want the sounds of a loud turbo car. Your driveablity will be normal as well. If you do decide to keep the HKS valve in the VTA mode drive it for atleast 1000 miles and see if your ecu will addapt alittle. I know someone that runs the TurboXS RFL valve and it doesn't seem to be to bad from him but who knows. Sorry to deliver the bad news but a Intake will give you everything you want , trust me.

AEM Intake system several of us run it, It is worth about 5whp on the top end and a ton of sound.
http://www.lancershop.com/intake.htm