Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS vs ARC intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2009 | 10:41 PM

AMS vs ARC intercoolers

Im looking for a replacement intercooler for my 7RS to help keep things cool in hotter weather. Im looking at AMS or the ARC direct replacment types. Any info or data would help.
Cheers
Old Nov 6, 2009 | 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have data but I'm sure you won't go wrong with the big names such as AMS, Buschur, or ETS. I had a Buschur 3.5" previously and am now running the ETS 3.5" both with good success; of course, I am in Washington state which doesn't get excessively hot.

I had no problems with the Buschur (the only minor issue being undertray fitment, but that can happen with some modifications) but I needed some new piping and t-bolts and it was relatively cheap to go with the "IC package" from ETS. Plus, they are a local company to me, and I like supporting local companies when I can.

If I'm not mistaken, you can fit the ETS 4" on a IX with very minor fitment issues (no modifying of the crashbeam). Had I known that, I might have gone for the 4". I'm not sure what issues you may or may not have with your VII RS.

Of course the other very good choice for an IC is something with a Garret core, which you can typically buy through one of the aforementioned big names. Good luck!
Old Nov 6, 2009 | 11:09 PM

you didnt even speak about the arc intercooler. just busher when he asked about ams. please it doesnt help.
Old Nov 6, 2009 | 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Get bent, then break it off - I provided a good deal of information and quite literally forgot about the OP mentioning the ARC. It doesn't help? What doesn't help? The fact that the OP didn't mention anything about the Garret core (not to be overlooked) or that contextually the 4" ETS works with the IX with little modifying? Did you read my post or just scan for 3 letters - A - R - C. I mentioned AMS, Buschur, ETS, and Garret.

I have no personal context with the ARC but it is most likely well overpriced compared to the ICs I mentioned and will look pretty. Will it perform any better? Probably not, at least given the history of ARC parts.

*edit - FWIW, I could have been like a lot of other people on here and referred the OP to the Search button but I didn't. Quit trying to suck on the motherland.

Last edited by yahu; Nov 6, 2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2009 | 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by andify
you didnt even speak about the arc intercooler. just busher when he asked about ams. please it doesnt help.
Any info helps thanks and its always good to hear about some other options.
Old Nov 7, 2009 | 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

ARC = ballers only
AMS= well off? people...

just go with AMS... its proven... if your looking for facts... why dont you try giving them a call each
Old Nov 7, 2009 | 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

ARC is great intercooler for the evo its a extremely light intercooler w/ a patented unique fin design, but only rated for approx 700hp...Great for stock & or small turbo set ups rated under the 500-550hp range.
AMS, Buschur, and ETS are a little bit heavier but are rated for 800hp plus... Great for every thing, and a lot cheaper.
If its offered try to get the garret intercooler core...
Hope this helps...
Old Nov 7, 2009 | 09:07 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Its on a timeattack car and weight is an issue and power is max 370 horses at the wheels. My problem at the moment is that the car takes out the timeing on hot days (35+ C). looking to cool that intake charge a bit more than my IX intercooler without going the h2o/meth road.

Duh Panda your information is insightful and a big help. thank you.
Old Nov 8, 2009 | 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

ARC is ballers only. mine developed leaks around the welds of the tubes. it was the 079 which is supposed to be the best core they offer. junk in my opinion. buy something else.
Old Nov 8, 2009 | 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like the 2nd post had good information afterall, OP.

I've heard nothing but good things regarding the Garret core. Compared to the IX IC that it sounds like you're currenty running, any of the "non-baller" ICs should do you well (AMS, Buschur, ETS, etc.).

For added context, look for people with timeattack cars in Florida, Las Vegas, and possibly Southern California as they likely facing 35+ C event days just like you. Best of luck on your decision.
Old Nov 8, 2009 | 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

If you are serious, no I mean really serious, about road racing, then a bar and plate core is not what you want. Yes, they do work great at absorbing a good amount of heat, and this is great on a dyno and in the staging lane spooling. Bar and plate cores are great heat sinks especially when there is minimal ambiant air flow.
That being said;
Bar and plate cores do not shead absorbed heat as fast as a tube and fin core can with good air flow. Bar and plate cores allow less air to pass through to the radiator and weigh more. And these are serious factors when you are road racing.
Can nearly everyone get by with a bar and plate core? Absolutely.
Like I said if you are serious about road racing; if your turbo is properly sized and you are not outside it's effiecency, if you want the most everything with the least amount of weight, and if you are not willing to compromise anything, you will go with a tube and fin intercooler.
You don't have to believe me, but look at what your countrymen say;
http://www.are.com.au/feat/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm
Old Nov 8, 2009 | 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

tube and fin cool off fast, but once they are soaked they don't do well. That's my experience with that, bar and plate can dissipate heat more efficiently, if he needs that much cooling or not is....but everyone else still uses bar and plate for time attack or road racing, and they are fine. Why even bother consider it unless the weight savings are truly huge.
Old Nov 8, 2009 | 03:30 PM

Thanks guys,
I will have a look at the tube and fin options.
Anyone else want to throw some ideas out there?
Old Nov 8, 2009 | 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andify
Your a ***, say in OZ. Anyway i have a Buschur 3.5 IC and find it works very well. I think ETS, BUSCHUR, or AMS are the only names you need to look at for IC, i doubt the ARC will be any better, but it will be more expensive.
Old Nov 8, 2009 | 05:16 PM

Thanks Twal2nnr, No need to get nasty (Im originaly from Canada too)
what sort of turbo set up do you have on your car and whats the power output like?

Quick Reply: AMS vs ARC intercoolers