Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

i need a 3.5inch I.D. muffler. where can i get one?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i need a 3.5inch I.D. muffler. where can i get one?

ok. well this car is just to loud. my neighbors are going nuts. its getting a bit out of control over here.

the car right now has a 3.5tbe on it with NO muffler. it had a 3.5 burns muffler where the cat go's but i took it off as it actually did nothing anyways. so i kinda want to stay away from burns mufflers as i feel it will not be enough.

i understand the car will still be loud. which is fine. i just need to tone it down from its current state.

what im looking for
im looking for a nice ROUND finished muffler ''with tip'' that is 3.5 I.D im a little picky on how the tail end looks with a muffler so i dont want something dumb or cheep looking. anyone know where i can find what i am looking for or give me some tips?? thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzer was selling some JUN Titanium (N1 style) muffler for $300 and he did have them in 3.5" inlet diameter.

Bryan
Old Nov 8, 2009, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These are a decent deal. They only have 3" and 4" inlet but you could just reduce a 4" down to 3 1/2" with an adapter from any good auto parts store.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1165
Old Nov 8, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsi20gawd
Switzer was selling some JUN Titanium (N1 style) muffler for $300 and he did have them in 3.5" inlet diameter.

Bryan
hum. any idea where i can contact this company?? do you happen to have a pic of that muffler?
Old Nov 8, 2009, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
These are a decent deal. They only have 3" and 4" inlet but you could just reduce a 4" down to 3 1/2" with an adapter from any good auto parts store.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1165
thank you sir i will keep this in mind but IMO a 3.5 to 4.0 ID kinda defeats the purpose of trying to quite the car up a little. maybe i am wrong? lets see what i find and if i come up with nothing i will try this. if it dont work im sure i can sell it off
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get one from magnaflow......they are like $85 and sound good
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
thank you sir i will keep this in mind but IMO a 3.5 to 4.0 ID kinda defeats the purpose of trying to quite the car up a little. maybe i am wrong? lets see what i find and if i come up with nothing i will try this. if it dont work im sure i can sell it off
I don't think the sound is much different on the vibrant according to inlet size. The 3" and 4" inlet both have a 4" outlet.

I have a 3" inlet vibrant with a 4" outlet. It's hooked up to a straight through custom 3" steel all welded turboback. My car is far from quiet but I don't have any problems with the neighbors. Cops pass me right by I just try to make sure I'm low rpm in 5th when I roll past.

I could see how 3.5" with no muffler would be incredibly loud. I'm not sure what mine would sound like with the vibrant off but It's got a really nice low rumble at idle and it barks a little when I go WOT. I'm sure I don't have the quietest evo around. It does seem to come in right under the radar though while still sounding mean. The price is right and the fitment is good on the stock bumper.

Old Nov 8, 2009, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

thanks bud. but what im saying is if the I.D. of the pipe is 3.5 and the I.D. of the muffler is 4.0 its expanding so it is basically letting more of the exhaust out without being muffled as if it was a 3.5ID. the tip has nothing to do with it. its the I.D. of the muffler im concerned about. what would be ideal is a 3.0ID muffler but then im creating a bottle neck effect and i do not want that. so im trying to locate a 3.5 I.D. muffler. that does look pretty nice though.

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
I don't think the sound is much different on the vibrant according to inlet size. The 3" and 4" inlet both have a 4" outlet.

I have a 3" inlet vibrant with a 4" outlet. It's hooked up to a straight through custom 3" steel all welded turboback. My car is far from quiet but I don't have any problems with the neighbors. Cops pass me right by I just try to make sure I'm low rpm in 5th when I roll past.

I could see how 3.5" with no muffler would be incredibly loud. I'm not sure what mine would sound like with the vibrant off but It's got a really nice low rumble at idle and it barks a little when I go WOT. I'm sure I don't have the quietest evo around. It does seem to come in right under the radar though while still sounding mean. The price is right and the fitment is good on the stock bumper.

Old Nov 8, 2009, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsi20gawd

Bryan
ok i got a hold of his Ebay account. im hoping to get his number and place my order. thank you sir
Old Nov 8, 2009, 07:16 PM

Aero turbine mufflers are sweet.. thats what alot of supra guys use and that is the same muffler that HPF and ETS used for there 3.5" exhausts
Old Nov 8, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4DRSALOON
Aero turbine mufflers are sweet.. thats what alot of supra guys use and that is the same muffler that HPF and ETS used for there 3.5" exhausts
yes i know. i had one before this exhaust i put on. i did like this muffler but it was a very heavy muffler. i sold it to a friend and it actually sounds better on his car then it did on mine. i sold it for a different system and i want to use a light weight muffler. burns was my options but there not working. so i think i will try this jun 3.5 one when i get ahold of this guy.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
You might be able to use a 4.0" muffler and reduce it down to 3.5" at the opening. This would give you a wider selection in mufflers.

Good Luck!

Michael
Old Nov 9, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

look what i found

Apex-1 N1 ti.

85mm ID

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/apex...14-p-7405.html

hum. i wonder if it would help quite up this car. anyone????? 450 bucks is a bit of a gamble so i figured id ask first.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Try www.summitracing.com

They have a quite a few selection for around 80-120 dollars. All 3.5 inlet and outlet. Hope this helps.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...eyword=muffler
Old Nov 9, 2009, 04:49 PM

Do what I did with mine. I just can pretty much a straight pipe all the way back and then used an exhaust tip made for diesel trucks and welded it on. It actually looks pretty much stock from the back and sounds amazing

Quick Reply: i need a 3.5inch I.D. muffler. where can i get one?