Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Repeatability of the Dyno Flash - long term study data and dyno sheet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SAEVO
So the word on the EVO is the ECU does no relearn its old traits???
NO - but it does have a very keen ear for knock so you need to make the tune below that knock theshold otherwise the timing will be all over the place
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

How do 10.5:1, 11.0:1, and 12.0:1 AF ratios translate in negative (- %) numbers in S-AFC/S-AFC II terms? How about with a boost controller holding up 19-20 psi to redline? This is with 93 octance

How low can we go?

Thanks.

Sti
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Al, do you recommend having a SAFC to tune or not? Also, what boost controller do you recommend HKS or Blitz? Thanks.

PS. When are you coming to LA so I can get my car tuned

Last edited by EVO_RPM; Oct 22, 2003 at 11:24 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 06:41 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by EVO_RPM
Al, do you recommend having a SAFC to tune or not? Also, what boost controller do you recommend HKS or Blitz? Thanks.

PS. When are you coming to LA so I can get my car tuned
The SAFC is a very usueful tuning tool

However since it acts by atenuating the MAF signal the ecu sees that as less load

What happens is that as your leanning it out you get very advanced timing which causes a lot of knock activity and the ecu starts to pull out timing in certain areas up and down the fuel curve - this leaves you with a very bumpy power band - and a dyno sheet which looks like radio interference

The Dyno Flash is superior as our fuel adjustments do not effect load or timing and visa versa Therefore we can really keep the power band smooth and in most cases get it much smoother than stock - WHILE we increase the power output

I would recomend a piggy back unit in CONJUNCTION WITH the Dyno Flash as follows

Piggy back set to ZERO correction on street fuel with Dyno flash - normal operation

Race fuel set up - Piggy back set to 5 - 8 % corrections from 4,000 to red line with Dyno Flash yields and additional 20 whp over the standard Dyno Flash set up

Finally - a piggy back could be used easily for end user fine tuning of the Dyno Flashed ecu in the event the end user later adds future modifications which effect the MAF signal

NOTE - such adjustments in all cases should only be performed by EXPERIENCED persons with the proper equipment - eg - wideband O2 sesnsor and egt gague

Hope that helps
Old Oct 23, 2003, 06:42 AM
Account Disabled

PS - I will be posting up about an LA trip very soon if we can get 8 cars together for a dyno day I will come anytime
Old Oct 23, 2003, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Cheers to AL... Great to see even more improvments. Let the products speek, obviously Dynoflash speaks well of it self.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

count me in for the LA dynoflash day.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Al, what Piggyback do you recommend?

What Boost Controller do you recommend as well?

Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Al,

Explain the A/F readings on that dyno sheet. Why are they all over the place?

Not attacking you just would like to know why are they like that.

Eric
Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:21 PM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky
Al,

Explain the A/F readings on that dyno sheet. Why are they all over the place?

Not attacking you just would like to know why are they like that.

Eric
We have seen that painting a solid a/f ratio line straight across the dyno screen may LOOK wonderful in marketing materials - but in reality the engine does NOT need the same A/F ratio at all speeds and loads

We have also discovered that the KEY to getting Evos to run well is to run under the knock threshold detection of the stock knock sensor

By running the car rich and even richer at certain points in the power band we have been able to get our cars to run absent any detonation across the power band

This means the stock ecu is NOT pulling timing in certain areas and it also means we do not have to also pull timing to avoid the knock correction

We have found that you FEEL the ign timing corrections much more than the fuel corrections. There is almost no loss in engine power going from 10.8 / 1 and dipping down to 10.4 / 1 a/f ratio
- BUT - if you pull back even one degree of timing you will see a big jump on the dyno sheet

Everyone has his/her own method of tuning - it would be EASY for us just to run these cars lean like some other tuners and have the a/f curve look like a straight line at 12.00 /1 accross the board - but then our dyno POWER lines would not be as smooth - although they would prob be making 5 - 10 whp more at that lean an a/f

In setting our tunes - we strive for a smooth perceived power band; a linear gain of power to red line and most importantly a very SUPER safe rich a/f ratio which helps cool down the engine and promote a huge margin of saftey
Old Oct 24, 2003, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DynoFlash
We have seen that painting a solid a/f ratio line straight across the dyno screen may LOOK wonderful in marketing materials - but in reality the engine does NOT need the same A/F ratio at all speeds and loads

We have also discovered that the KEY to getting Evos to run well is to run under the knock threshold detection of the stock knock sensor

By running the car rich and even richer at certain points in the power band we have been able to get our cars to run absent any detonation across the power band

This means the stock ecu is NOT pulling timing in certain areas and it also means we do not have to also pull timing to avoid the knock correction

We have found that you FEEL the ign timing corrections much more than the fuel corrections. There is almost no loss in engine power going from 10.8 / 1 and dipping down to 10.4 / 1 a/f ratio
- BUT - if you pull back even one degree of timing you will see a big jump on the dyno sheet

Everyone has his/her own method of tuning - it would be EASY for us just to run these cars lean like some other tuners and have the a/f curve look like a straight line at 12.00 /1 accross the board - but then our dyno POWER lines would not be as smooth - although they would prob be making 5 - 10 whp more at that lean an a/f

In setting our tunes - we strive for a smooth perceived power band; a linear gain of power to red line and most importantly a very SUPER safe rich a/f ratio which helps cool down the engine and promote a huge margin of saftey
So you are running as much ignition advance as possible and to avoid knock, you are dumping fuel, until the knock sensor is happy. Why do you feel this is safer then having a proper A/F cure and a corrected timing curve to avoid knock. Why is that not safer?? You can make a car run cooler by having a more efficient burn with proper timing then drowning out detonation with fuel and still run respectively rich with out knock for a safe A/F.

I see what you are trying to do (I don’t know if it’s right or wrong, just different from my understanding of Engine tuning). Now correct me if I’m wrong. You are trying to get the smoothes TQ across the board and trying to maintain as Much TQ as you can at the higher RPM ranges. But what you are really doing is taking a motor past its reliability threshold. The motor is making so much TQ at those higher RPM ranges that it really takes a beating. Yes there is no knock and the exhaust temps are cool but the bearings, Rods and pistons are getting hammered. And basically the candle starts to burn much quicker. Engine Management can accomplish many things but there is a fine line that the tuner has the draw for long engine life. I will be impressed when your beta tester comes back in 10K miles and puts the same numbers down. I will also be more impressed if you did a compression and leak down test now and again in 10K miles. Two weeks and a few hundred miles in my mind does not mean long term beta tester. Granted the car did not blow up in two weeks and a few hundred miles and made a full pony more (due possibly to the cooler weather) so my hats off to you.

I will say one thing in regards to your beta tester making the same power. After a car is tuned on a dyno, many hot runs with heat soak and drive train heat and not having enough air going into the motor the last run will read a little low. And if you wear to bring that car back after cool down and warm it up to standard operating tempters it would pull at the least a few more ponies just because the heat soak is gone. Gaining 1 horse power with a drop in out side temp of 20f is not impressive. Looks to me like the car is losing power already and the candle is burning quicker and quicker.

Please comment, Yet again not trying to attack you just trying to learn as much as I can.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

You are trying to get the smoothes TQ across the board and trying to maintain as Much TQ as you can at the higher RPM ranges. But what you are really doing is taking a motor past its reliability threshold. The motor is making so much TQ at those higher RPM ranges that it really takes a beating. Yes there is no knock and the exhaust temps are cool but the bearings, Rods and pistons are getting hammered. And basically the candle starts to burn much quicker. Engine Management can accomplish many things but there is a fine line that the tuner has the draw for long engine life.
What difference does it make if Dynoflash improves the HP/TQ of the engine versus adding an exhaust that adds more HP/TQ?

Any time you add more HP/TQ to an engine, you're technically "overpowering" the engine from what it was orginally designed for from the factory. So not only is Dynoflash doing what you state above, but so is Vishnu, Buschur, etc etc.

This, I thought was common sense.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BeenWaitin4Evo

What difference does it make if Dynoflash improves the HP/TQ of the engine versus adding an exhaust that adds more HP/TQ?

Any time you add more HP/TQ to an engine, you're technically "overpowering" the engine from what it was orginally designed for from the factory. So not only is Dynoflash doing what you state above, but so is Vishnu, Buschur, etc etc.

This, I thought was common sense.
Exhaust just frees up power or make the turbo flow better witch makes more power. With EM you are changing the motors setting to increase power. Alot more tricky then just adding bigger less restictive piping. In other words the power is there just corcked.

Eric
Old Oct 24, 2003, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

If you start with 271HP and add 50HP to it, you've increased the power irregardless of how you added it. 5, 10, or 50 more HP is adding more stress to the engine, no matter if it's through exhaust, flash, or piggyback.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BeenWaitin4Evo
If you start with 271HP and add 50HP to it, you've increased the power irregardless of how you added it. 5, 10, or 50 more HP is adding more stress to the engine, no matter if it's through exhaust, flash, or piggyback.
Yes but would not agree that adding a exhaust is not the same as change A/F and ing timing.

Eric

Quick Reply: Repeatability of the Dyno Flash - long term study data and dyno sheet