Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Repeatability of the Dyno Flash - long term study data and dyno sheet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2003, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DynoFlash
Our poisiton is that the jagged trq curves you see along with those 12/1 af ratio dyno sheets of our compeditors represents knock activity PULLING timing becuase of transient DETONATION. The low spots are the areas where the ecu pulls timing after seeing knock counts in those areas.

The MAF signal manipulators - eg. SAFC or EXEDE make the ecu thing it has LESS LOAD when they attenuate the MAF signal. This condition causes the ECU to run up to 7 degrees MORE advance than stock becuase the lower load zones have more advance. This SUPER advanced timing - particularly in the 4500 to 7500 rpm range combined with the leaner a/f ratio these tuners run leads to a LOT of knock activity.

Detoination and knock activity BEATS up on your rods, rod bearings amd piston rings. Its the MOST detructive force in engines.

WE AVOID any detonation at any costs !! That is our # 1 goal.

Also - becuase we do not attenuate or adjust the MAF signal at all there is no "fooling" of the ecu into thinking there is less load and having advanced timing. Instead we directly adjust the injector driver map to take out the fuel to lean it out and leave the timing in the same zones. We do add in a slight amount of timing - but it amounts to much less than hat piggy back tuners add in unintentionally when they atenuate the MAF signal.

So long as we keep the fuel mixture rich we can run a few degrees of timing in certain areas of the curve - stock in others - without ANY detonation. This combination actually lowers EGTs and makes less stress on the engine.

The 20 - 28 whp gain we add to evos with our reflash is of NO effect on engine durability. We have gone 300 whp over stock without breaking anything. The Evo engine is very robust.

Hope this has answered your question. if you need more answers you should read these therads :

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthre...0&pagenumber=1

Unlike a S-AFC, Xede controls timing So Tuner may adjust the gain in timing. I know from my own data logs I have only see a 1 degree hike.

7?? Again you are not a Xede user so don't comment on a product you don't know with your wrong techincal information to misslead readers.

My Very Best
Eric