Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.5 Trans and Spec Twin Install ... not with out issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really hope not. I went through my own personal hell with this install. I will be f'ing furious.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I have the same clutch. I have neither the whistle nor the grinding. If I made an audio clip of my car running, you would hear nothing but the engine. The clutch is dead quiet.

Assuming our clutches are identical, I know of no physical reason why yours should sound like that. Now, there are things to be aware of when installing these things, which is why I have Drifto do it. You'd be wise to review the exacting installation details at least as closely as the hardware.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:26 AM

I am unable to access the file? I can't play it on my work computer. I am working on converting it and will let you know when I can hear it. If you have this in a different format and can post it that would be great too! Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
I have the same clutch. I have neither the whistle nor the grinding. If I made an audio clip of my car running, you would hear nothing but the engine. The clutch is dead quiet.

Assuming our clutches are identical, I know of no physical reason why yours should sound like that. Now, there are things to be aware of when installing these things, which is why I have Drifto do it. You'd be wise to review the exacting installation details at least as closely as the hardware.

Im not following you on the "exacting installation details". To what are you refering to?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
I am unable to access the file? I can't play it on my work computer. I am working on converting it and will let you know when I can hear it. If you have this in a different format and can post it that would be great too! Thanks!
It will play in Itunes
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.mediafire.com/?azjj5myyejm

Here is a link to the file in MP3 format... for those who couldn't use the m4a.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats a strange noise . . it may very well be a bad TOB . . .

-Cisco
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. I'm waiting on Jeremy from Spec to give me his verdict. I've spent so much money on this already, if I have to pull this trans again... I'm really screwed.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedWhtMR
Im not following you on the "exacting installation details". To what are you refering to?
I'm referring to using Occam's razor in isolating the problem. That is, IF our hardware is identical and accurately made to production specs, then the problem must be a result of something else (e.g. clearances) that isn't identical.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:22 PM

I got the sound clip and finally had a chance to listen to it! Sorry for the delay. This does sound like bearing noise but the time that it occurs relative to the pedal actuation is unusual. I have emailed wicked to get some more info. Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:24 PM

Ted, I understand where you are coming from and agree with your thoughts. Unfortunately I don't think that there is really any way to assess the parts without getting them out of the car which is the down side of this situation.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

I just got the opportunity to read Jeremy's (SPEC-01) email. He is sending me a new TOB and Pressure plate. Im still pretty much screwed. The cost of my clutch has now gone up another $650.00. Don't get me wrong.. I appreciate what Spec is trying to do for me here. They are sending me replacement parts for my defective parts. I guess he could just say.. sorry about your luck. But ... Im still screwed. I spent all I had to put into fixing my car. I spent alot of money so that things like this wouldnt happen... Im not even counting the used tranny I purchased and installed 3000 miles ago.. or the 700 and something ACT clutch that came apart after 3000 miles and ruined it with no track use. This sucks

Quick Reply: 2.5 Trans and Spec Twin Install ... not with out issues