Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.5 Trans and Spec Twin Install ... not with out issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have had cars (EVO's) using these kits for nearly 2 years. It is worth noting that the shaft will have different whitness marks than stock because it uses two discs. You can clearly see the contact area for the primary disc, the space for the floater which doesn't have a hub and the area of contact for the secondary disc.

I have already emailed Wicked regarding his questions. In fact, since we have moved to rigid hub discs to reduce weight I am able to further offset the disc to account for his concern...though again we have seen no issues relative to this disc set-up. If you have any questions regarding this don't hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to assist you.

It is worth noting that our discs have a longer hub length than stock...which means that this disc actually has a greater spline engagement area than the OE disc though the pictures (if viewed without an understanding of this) appear to evidence the contrary. I have been trying to get away from my desk to take a few measurements but haven't had a chance...the days leading up to a Holiday break are crazy. Speaking of which have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SPEC-01
We have had cars (EVO's) using these kits for nearly 2 years. It is worth noting that the shaft will have different whitness marks than stock because it uses two discs. You can clearly see the contact area for the primary disc, the space for the floater which doesn't have a hub and the area of contact for the secondary disc.

I have already emailed Wicked regarding his questions. In fact, since we have moved to rigid hub discs to reduce weight I am able to further offset the disc to account for his concern...though again we have seen no issues relative to this disc set-up. If you have any questions regarding this don't hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to assist you.

It is worth noting that our discs have a longer hub length than stock...which means that this disc actually has a greater spline engagement area than the OE disc though the pictures (if viewed without an understanding of this) appear to evidence the contrary. I have been trying to get away from my desk to take a few measurements but haven't had a chance...the days leading up to a Holiday break are crazy. Speaking of which have a Happy Thanksgiving!
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I've had a few customers with issues.. This guy being a very very good friend so I hate to see him keep shelling money out. He's already made the ACT mistake, we all know those are no good with evos. If youre confident these plates will make his holidays happy then great.. But if at the end of the day the car is still having issues after whats the next step from here?

Cheers!
Old Nov 25, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4WS Tuning
Are they going to pay for the labor if it doesnt work again....?
what company does if something doesn't work out? I'm just curious.. because I'd be all about that

I kid.. only to make light of a situation that sucks (and is similar to what I'm dealing with myself).. In all the years I've been fooling around with aftermarket stuff, I've *never* known any place to warranty parts AND labor, esp labor if whatever part was not installed by them. Does exedy pay for your clutch to come back out if the TOB clip breaks? How about ACT? Comp? etc?

Would AMS pay to have my turbo kit taken out and re-installed if something were wrong with it?

I doubt it. So this is a moot point, and a risk everyone takes all the time either consciously or unknowing, when they replace parts on their vehicles.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:44 AM

I know that Wicked is aware of this as he has the warranty paperwork that is included in each kit we manufacture...but for others that may be interested our warranty is relative to manufacturing and materials only and does not cover labor or other sundry charges. No manufactur that I have ever worked for, or with, over the years has ever covered labor. That being said, based on our development and test-fitment of these parts, I am confident that the original discs would have functioned properly. Of course, as mentioned in my above post we offset the disc further to help quell any assumption or misunderstanding and these are in route to Wicked as we speak.

Additionally, the discs that I sent out to Wicked, with the further offset hubs have .140" greater contact area with the shaft than the OE disc. Our original disc set-up also had a greater contact area than the OE disc...but the new one will move the contact area farther onto the shaft. Effectively, the disc will cover every available mm of the shaft...except of course that which is located under the floater. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by linuxman51
what company does if something doesn't work out? I'm just curious.. because I'd be all about that

I kid.. only to make light of a situation that sucks (and is similar to what I'm dealing with myself).. In all the years I've been fooling around with aftermarket stuff, I've *never* known any place to warranty parts AND labor, esp labor if whatever part was not installed by them. Does exedy pay for your clutch to come back out if the TOB clip breaks? How about ACT? Comp? etc?

Would AMS pay to have my turbo kit taken out and re-installed if something were wrong with it?

I doubt it. So this is a moot point, and a risk everyone takes all the time either consciously or unknowing, when they replace parts on their vehicles.

If it were an AMS kit, and I paid AMS to install it, and the AMS part/install way faulty, Yes.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by linuxman51

Oh i know... I was partly joking... Its just a shame Wicked had to pay for an installation twice when it should have been perfect the first time around. At least he's lucky Spec is being helpful, most companies would stop answering the phones.

Personally I suggest to stick with the Exedy twin... Its rare you hear about problems and people have been running them for years, me personally for about 40k as well.

Cheers!
Old Dec 1, 2009, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

I've read the OPs post and It's a bummer you're going through that now however, in regards to the noise, I only hear it when I down shift. It happens quick though. It is odd that you are having that issue. I have the SPEC P-Trim twin and that's probably the only noise I hear. As far as that goes, I have approximately 3K miles on my clutch and it is holding up very well.
I have never launched it but I have been tuning (4WSTuning) with it and it is a good clutch IMHO.

I hope it works out for you...
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

add me to the list of TOB's sounding like a cricket on crack! Mine is making the exact noise in the audio clip, under the exact conditions (foot completely off peddle I have noise, goes away with a little peddle pressure). My Spec clutch has about 1000 miles on it. It's loud, and annoying! It didn't do this from initial install, but maybe started 300 miles ago or so. I was hoping it would eventually go away.

Other than that, the clutch is functioning perfectly.

Last edited by dubbleugly01; Dec 8, 2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Update on mine and not trying to jack thread... Hopefully this helps others. I recently installed valve springs and headgasket, so the head and intake mani, exhaust mani and turbo... This gave me the opportunity to look around my engine bay to make sure stuff was not loose or just hanging around...Reassembled engine with new gaskets and what not...

Till that day I have had no issues what so ever. I'm not sure how the noises went away but it is a good feeling. Going on 2 weeks now and no sound or any rattling what so ever... The clutch is still holding on strong as hell!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I predict your SPEC Twin problems will continue until the clutch is replaced with an Exedy, QM, or Tilton.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
spec -- the destroyer/exploder of dsm trannys for years...

yeah lets toss it in my evo.

Exedy ftw.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:39 AM

Assuming that Bori is in fact hearing bearing noise this would be the second occurence that I am aware of. Bori you can contact me directly to discuss the sound further if you like. Ernie there are countless customers having great experiences with our Super-Twins...though I am sure you know this. Roq...kits don't come apart on their own. If you are seeing issues of this type then you are welcome to contact me to discuss this further. If you know of others that have had issues than please have them give me a call too.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

I'm curious who tagged '740' and 'volvo'
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Assuming that Bori is in fact hearing bearing noise this would be the second occurence that I am aware of. Bori you can contact me directly to discuss the sound further if you like. Ernie there are countless customers having great experiences with our Super-Twins...though I am sure you know this. Roq...kits don't come apart on their own. If you are seeing issues of this type then you are welcome to contact me to discuss this further. If you know of others that have had issues than please have them give me a call too.
No, actually mine is good to go... No issues here, with respect to other SPEC Twin disc owners... Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Here is an update:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...ec-clutch.html

Mods.. please lock this thread