Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Honey comb in the stock filter box?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Honey comb in the stock filter box?

Does any one know what the use for the honey comb in the stock air box is for? And also has anyone heard of any problems with the AEM intake? I've heard it pops off .
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it has to do with air flow , if u remove all of them the car will die due to the fact its taking in more air then it can measure. This is why MAP sensors are by far better forms of measuring air intake.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

I took out the honey comb. Car works fine with Buschur intake
Old Oct 23, 2003, 03:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

What!??! The honeycomb is part of the mass air flow sensor! Taking it out will drastically affect your cars performance!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 05:24 AM

not having the honey comb in the intake will def. have a negative affect on performance...but more importantly its dangerous to the life of your engine. without the proper air metered the combustion chambers temp. will be altered...and to think of the other effects it has when your ecu is compensating for whatever the engine values are is making me grind my teeth. im wondering if the ecu just substitutes a default mas value when this happens...but thats more if the sensor wiring is open or shorted. get a new mas asap and i would advice not doing this unless you have switched to map(where you probably know what your doing).
Old Oct 23, 2003, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

yeah....I didnt think it was part of the airbox, but indeed the MAF.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 07:14 AM

for the 4g63 the removal of the honeycomb is called a "free mod" you actuall get a hp increase. by dialing out the screw and the removal of one or two honeycombs, but to take out all three is a no no. i'm not saying this is good practice but hey it's free hp. oh, and i wouldn't do it if i were you especially if you don't have some kind of s-afc for tuning.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Fireball
What!??! The honeycomb is part of the mass air flow sensor! Taking it out will drastically affect your cars performance!
When the first C5 Corvettes came out it was common practice to remove similar straightening vanes and gain 5 hp with no driveabiltiy issues. Eventually GM agreed and built the cars without it.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:29 AM

the way i look @ it is if you can afford and evo...you really shoudnt be looking for free and dangerous ways of increasing your hp. all im saying is even you got 5hp out of it...i dont think its worth the risk. you corvetter guys can correct me if im wrong but when gm did remove straightening vanes the ecu had different programming not only to eliminate that signal for processing...but to take into account the new airflow signitures. its not like gm just started yanking those sensors out from the factory and rolled them into the show rooms. do it right the first time...everytime...and spend a little $$$ and skip the shortcuts.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

The purpose of the honeycomb is not so much to restrict airflow as to straighten it so that the sensor gets an accurate reading. While removing them will increase airflow slightly. It will also cause turbulance which can lead to an incorrect metering of air, and therefore bad fuel mixtures. Bad fuel metering either = loss of power due to over rich condition, or or gain in power due to leaning out the engine which might be ok in the short run, but long term leaning of an engine which is already high strung, can have disaterous results.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:53 AM

coudnt have said it better
Old Oct 23, 2003, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bingo, look how crappy older nissans run at times.... On my friends SR20DET FWD. if you as much as run your hand across the MAF when there is no filter on it, the car jsut stummbles and wants to die, happens while driving at times as well.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Well thanks for all the info now the honey comb stays!