Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

amsoil tranny and t-case

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Capacities are in the Owners Manual

IIRC Trans 3qts and TC and Diff are .58qts

Just like any diff, trans or tc that has a manual fill and drain hole you fill until fluids start to come out the fill

Done
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like royal purple
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:21 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
At AMSOIL no test is clasiffied in Newtons as is a European class method, with that being said iam not sure where you got that data from.

AMSOIL's pour point is at -58 F, Flashes at 428 F, and iam sure that beats most oils out there.

The data you provided means nothing to us because we dont know what you are refering to, what test did you convert into Newtons since we don't measure in Newtons.
Please explain

Also as it has been stated before over and over a 75W90 is still a 90 oil it will behave like a 90 it will handle the loads perfectly fine.
The first two numbers the 75 is stating that it will flow easier inside the system that is running through, known as a multi viscocity.

Auto Manufacturers sometimes tend to neglect the small details because they don't feel like is cost effective to spend time and money into them, and oil is one of them, because Mitsu does not manufacture their own oils they sub contract them out and of course they will try and get by with the cheapest but something that will still be ok to use.
So why would mitsu spend the extra cash on a multiviscocity when they make straight oils like 90 at a low cost and high profit margine.
Now when you have companies like Mobil, AMSOIL, and others that all their efforts go towards lubrication products and don't have to worry about other products it easier to design a top quality product that still keeps a fair price tag.

Originally Posted by Kracka
I shouldn't have to explain since you're obviously an oil expert. Do some research. I suggest you look into the amount of shock load capacity each is able to handle and you'll realize that a 75W-90 (even synthetic) is not able to handle as as much as a straight 90W. There is a reason many OEM's use a straight 90W gear oil in high shock environments even though 75W-90 is the more commonly found viscosity.

Some quick info for you:
Amsoil 75W-90 tests at about 350 newtons
Mobil 1 and Redline around 250
90W mineral oils have tested above 1000

The only disadvantage is pour-point which is obviously where the synthetic 75W-90's shine. My feelings on this are if Mitsubishi felt comfortable enough to run a straight 90W I feel they know it must heat up and begin to properly flow after just a short amount of warm-up driving. Many OEM's are choosing straight 90W's including Mitsubishi, Toyota, Honda, etc. even though it is harder for the average consumer to source and its not as readily available (don't claim to make the dealerships more profit b/c Honda doesn't even sell it). Also to add, 400F is on the low end for 90W mineral oil flashpoints, I highly doubt anyone is getting their transfer case and rear differential that hot and burning up oil, my guess is if they ever actually have they broke other stuff before the oil was able to fail.

Its time you start looking at some real facts rather than just the brochures Amsoil passes out.

Last edited by apagan01; Nov 16, 2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
Did you make sure you got GL4 for the tranny? The GL5 is an incorrect additive package for our tranny and it makes the car shift like crap.
Ive got the AMSoil GL5 in my tranny right now, and im NOT pleased with my shift quality. I was told that you could use the GL5 in a GL4 trans but not GL4 in place of GL5. Should I switch to GL4, would my shift quality improve?

thx, Cory
Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i use amsoil in the buschur built tranny. the way my tranny feels is absolutely unbelievable!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by psphinx81
i use amsoil in the buschur built tranny. the way my tranny feels is absolutely unbelievable!
which oil, the MTG gl4?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SeeCoryRun
Ive got the AMSoil GL5 in my tranny right now, and im NOT pleased with my shift quality. I was told that you could use the GL5 in a GL4 trans but not GL4 in place of GL5. Should I switch to GL4, would my shift quality improve?

thx, Cory
Yes I've had GL5 in my tranny. It shifts like crap. It's very stiff and notchy. It's a struggle to try to get it to shift smoothly. The local auto parts store carries amsoil but not GL4. They looked at me stupid when I told them my car specifically calls for GL4. They said GL5 superceeds it.

This isn't altogether true. While GL5 does have a superior additive package for some trannies it is not designed for brass syncro trannies like the evo runs. They require a certain quality in the oil only GL4 has to run smoothly.

I ordered some GL4 and it's a huge difference. Brass syncros are specifically mentioned in the description of the MTG 75-90 GL4 on amsoil's site.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx

AMSOIL MTG prevents the thinning effects of mechanical shear. It maintains its viscosity and superior film strength for consistent, long-lasting wear protection. MTG excels in hot and cold temperature extremes that exceed the limits of conventional mineral oils. It protects against rust, keeps seals soft for long life, and is compatible with brass synchros for smooth synchromesh shift quality.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:05 PM
Account Disabled

thx, Cory
The only oil we reccomend is MTG GL4, and its for a very good reason, it carries a great balance between syncro frinction mod and Gear set lubrication, where some other brands like redline fail to give you the syncro part of the game but give you gear lubrication, and then the other way around, GM syncromesh will let you shift at a million RPM's but is horible for the gears.

hope this helps.

you need GL4, tranny will shift smoother with it

Last edited by apagan01; Nov 18, 2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Just wanted to say, I changed my fluids to Amsoil from Apagan01.

Great feel in the trans as my trans fluids were breaking down.
Also I didn't change the diff or tcase oil in 100,000(yes, I know, my bad)
Now the car feels much tighter.

BTW- Just for info, All of Our Ferrari's run a synthetic Shell 75-90 in the trans.
I just couldn't buy it because it was so damn expensive!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

which oil, the MTG gl4?
you got it
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:35 PM

changed fluids today and tranny took all 3 qt and the tc and diffs were like .6 qts each is that the right amount ?? gonna check on fluid level like in a day or two but wanted to know roughly if thats the right amount it takes...

and wanted to add shifts feel smooth and nice.....amsoil FTW

Last edited by daechul2da; Nov 19, 2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 05:39 AM

i used amsoil in all in my cars for long time and love it , on my 240sx i used redline and it ate my synchros and rear diff after 30k miles
Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having used stock, Motul and Amsoil engine and drivetrain fluidsI much prefer the Motul and Amsoil to stock in my MR.
I switched from Motul to Amsoil due to availability and never looked back. Performance is similar and I can get it what I need it.

I am impressed by the responsiveness of the Amsoil distributors on this forum and glad to see that they are occasionally challenged by the community then supporting their claims with what seem like facts.

And heck, I'm happy to support an American company that supports motorsports.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ by the way, I did need to add slip lock additive to the Severe Gear oil but I believe I am in thhe minority on that one...
Old Nov 30, 2009, 04:25 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
So GL4 for the trans and 75w-90 in the tcase and diff?

What is good for Amsoil motor oil in Philadelphia's climate? That experiences the brunt of both seasons.

Quick Reply: amsoil tranny and t-case