Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch gone at 16k- Need recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Twin plate. Exedy Twin < Exedy Triple < Quarter Master < Tilton Twin < Tilton Triple < Tilton Carbon Triple.

Hit up Chris Egbert @ NoLimitMotorsports. He's had the best prices on Exedy clutches for the past 4 years.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont understand why most evo owners want a twin disk on a mildly modded car.Theres no reason for a car making less then 400ft lbs of needing a twin disk.its an absolute waste of money.I had a Comp stage 4 and it held 440+ ft lbs of tq. with no problem.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Twin plate. Exedy Twin < Exedy Triple < Quarter Master < Tilton Twin < Tilton Triple < Tilton Carbon Triple.

Hit up Chris Egbert @ NoLimitMotorsports. He's had the best prices on Exedy clutches for the past 4 years.
I sent Chris a PM, itll probably be tough to beat MAP though.

With regard to your equality statment, your are saying a Quartermaster and Tiltons are better? In what way? I have heard they are horrible to drive and have very short life spans. F

Correct me if I am wrong, but the twins seem to get amazing life. I saw someone running <11 and got 35k out of it.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:04 PM

You can go with a ACT HDSS, its rating is around 504tq and is around $625 on ebay and most shops. Look up the prices on the thread on socalevo.net. One vendor offers it for $550 shipped. Just my 2 cents, hope it helped.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gordian79
I dont understand why most evo owners want a twin disk on a mildly modded car.Theres no reason for a car making less then 400ft lbs of needing a twin disk.its an absolute waste of money.I had a Comp stage 4 and it held 440+ ft lbs of tq. with no problem.
I have plans to get over 400wtq in the reasonably near future. I certainly do not need anything more than a Stage 1 something now, but in a few months I would like to buy a Red or Black and cams and get past the 400 mark (and then some hopefully). I agree with you in a situation where no future mods are planned, the clutch is overkill then.

I assume you have a Competition Clutch Stage 4? How do you like the part overall? They have a reasonably inexpensive twin...
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by openmynd11
You can go with a ACT HDSS, its rating is around 504tq and is around $625 on ebay and most shops. Look up the prices on the thread on socalevo.net. One vendor offers it for $550 shipped. Just my 2 cents, hope it helped.
I am probably going to avoid ACT. I have read and been told too many stories of high rpm lockout and other problems to seriously consider one. I would get a Fidanza at that point if I were going for high clamp single plate.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a exedy twin disc im kicking myself for not doing it...!
Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gordian79
Most people do it so they dont have to worry about it later. Why do a clutch job more than once when you can get it done right the first time. If you mod your car and do the clutch last and it doesnt hold with the setup, then you will have to upgrade.

I dont see it as a waste of money, I see it as a precautionary measure. On a mild modded car soon to be monster it is wise to get.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Exedy Twin HD. I purchased from MAP for a great deal. I paid a local clutch guru $500 to install.

I have close to the same power as yourself. I went over the 500 mile break in on the Exedy Twin HD a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. The "ONLY" tiny complaint that I do have is the chatter. It is not extreme and does go away when good and warm.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
any kind of launching will MURDER single plate clutches. They can't take the heat.

The reason why the Exedy still has lockout issues (and it does) is because it has a large polar moment of intertia. (not just weight, but where the mass is located) IIRC the Exedy twin is around 32 pounds where as the QM and Tilton are in the high teens 17-19 pounds and have a super low PMOI.

The clutch discs are larger in diameter and there for are harder for the synchonizers to slow down... ESPECIALLY for the 1-2 shift. This is where the 7.25 clutches shine. The shift-ability of the Tilton/QM twin is far superior to the Exedy twin, but you're going to pay for it with harshness and noise. The exedy twin is the MOST streetable, BEST solution IMO. If you are serious about racing at all...I would get the Exedy Triple... or QM/Tilton.

You need more plates for more heat capacity and the more you slip the clutch to save your drivetrain...the more plates you'll need. I wish I would've got a triple or a 7.25 twin.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

twin disc is annoying to drive around with for a daily driver makes way to much noise... Depends what you want to use your car for... Ive had good success with act in two of my evos my last car was making 500whp 450tq on the hdss holding fine.. If you plan on drag racing and reving above 8k then go with sometype of a twin... although I am no clutch expert.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
any kind of launching will MURDER single plate clutches. They can't take the heat.

The reason why the Exedy still has lockout issues (and it does) is because it has a large polar moment of intertia. (not just weight, but where the mass is located) IIRC the Exedy twin is around 32 pounds where as the QM and Tilton are in the high teens 17-19 pounds and have a super low PMOI.

The clutch discs are larger in diameter and there for are harder for the synchonizers to slow down... ESPECIALLY for the 1-2 shift. This is where the 7.25 clutches shine. The shift-ability of the Tilton/QM twin is far superior to the Exedy twin, but you're going to pay for it with harshness and noise. The exedy twin is the MOST streetable, BEST solution IMO. If you are serious about racing at all...I would get the Exedy Triple... or QM/Tilton.

You need more plates for more heat capacity and the more you slip the clutch to save your drivetrain...the more plates you'll need. I wish I would've got a triple or a 7.25 twin.
I track (didnt we participate in an involved thread over brake pads?) and autox my car on a regular basis. But first and foremost, this is my DD. Not to mention ~1400 for a clutch is already going to hurt bad, no need to bump it to 2100 for a triple. Given my intentions with the car, would you ever recommend anything other than the twin HD? Are the lock outs that bad?

In your experience, would I be happy with the noise, shiftablilty, and longevity of the twin HD on a daily experience? In terms of power plans, I would like to see 450wtq next year, so if you didnt think a twin would make me happy given the above, what would you recommend?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:54 PM
Account Disabled

hey man, im in chicago area and willing to do the job for u.. ill say ya some cash

ive done 8 evo clutch jobs already
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:57 PM
Account Disabled

if ur gonna race ur car hard, get a quarter master no doubt... also the fact they r in illinois is always a plus side

but in the case u want a act, my buddy has a BRand New Act Xtreme street clutch kit w/ a brand new Act Flywheel..

He sold hte car before he put this kit in..

I have another friends with this same clutch and he has never experienced any sort of lockout.

Last edited by Evokid03; Nov 19, 2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Protostar1
I am probably going to avoid ACT. I have read and been told too many stories of high rpm lockout and other problems to seriously consider one. I would get a Fidanza at that point if I were going for high clamp single plate.
I recently installed the ACT HDSD clutch. "SD" meaning un-sprung solid disc which is a lighter disc and is less prone to high rpm lockout compared to the HDSS version (SS = Sprung).

I'll provide an update once I put some miles on it.

Quick Reply: Clutch gone at 16k- Need recommendations