Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much power will my setup make [Mega Merge]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 11:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by thatguysmells
Actually, I was told different by a well known tuner here in San Diego. He said the car will not heat soak with a stock intercooler on e85.
i guess you'll find out then... e85 will definitely help since it has a much cooler charge but the stock fmic can only flow so much to where it creates backpressure and heats up.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so tscompusa, you think from page 46 with the mods i have currently to what im swappin out, you think an additional 70hp is possible, my whole goal is 450 on pump gas, and i made 385 in 107* ambient temp in the dyno room last year.
Old May 11, 2011, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, just picked up some more parts and wondering what this setup will roughly make! thanks in advance!

-Tomei Titanium 3in exhaust, Invidia Test, Tomei DP, Tomei turbo outlet.
-Fp Green 73HTA turbo, 25psi ac.
-ETS Manifold
-Synapse bov
-AMS fmic, uicp,licp.
-Walbro 255
-1000cc Injector Dynamics
-e85
-Buschur Intake
-Forge MBP
-stock motor.
Old May 11, 2011, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eulogy
Hey, just picked up some more parts and wondering what this setup will roughly make! thanks in advance!

-Tomei Titanium 3in exhaust, Invidia Test, Tomei DP, Tomei turbo outlet.
-Fp Green 73HTA turbo, 25psi ac.
-ETS Manifold
-Synapse bov
-AMS fmic, uicp,licp.
-Walbro 255
-1000cc Injector Dynamics
-e85
-Buschur Intake
-Forge MBP
-stock motor.
should be between 460-480 on a dynojet at 30psi. I have this setup minus the mani
Old May 11, 2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by sLUg_
should be between 460-480 on a dynojet at 30psi. I have this setup minus the mani
That's pretty legit. Thanks!
Old May 11, 2011, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
in short.. its a boost controller that is controlled by the ecu. advantages are being able to control the boost curve throughout the entire power band.. where as a manual controller you are only able to set a target boost and from there you have no control of the curve past that.
Thanks comp! is this ECU BOOST thing something I can physically buy or is it software related only?
Old May 11, 2011, 08:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gymnasty
Thanks comp! is this ECU BOOST thing something I can physically buy or is it software related only?
Both PM me for best price. You install it, then it needs setup within the rom.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
turbo i was looking at the 22-23 range, i've been told 24/25 is the turbo and wastegate max..
demon said that the max psi on a stock evo 9 turbo can be boosted to 24/25 pounds. How true is this? Im not saying demon is lying I just need to make sure these are the correct numbers because I also have a stock evo 9 turbo with the stock wastegate and im hoping I can make 400whp/400wtq with the mods on my sig using E85.
What psi is the stock wastegate good up to? And how much psi can the stock turbo hold? Thanks in advance!
Old May 11, 2011, 08:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gymnasty
demon said that the max psi on a stock evo 9 turbo can be boosted to 24/25 pounds. How true is this? Im not saying demon is lying I just need to make sure these are the correct numbers because I also have a stock evo 9 turbo with the stock wastegate and im hoping I can make 400whp/400wtq with the mods on my sig using E85.
What psi is the stock wastegate good up to? And how much psi can the stock turbo hold? Thanks in advance!
most people that run the evo 9 turbo are at least 25-27psi with full boltons.. just because thats not the best efficiency sweet spot for the compressor map for that specific turbo doesn't mean its not going to gain power from it.. its going to increase heat, but it will also make more power.. this is where a good fmic comes in handy along with a good fuel such as e85.

i see no reason not to make 400 with e85.. most cars will make 370-380 on 93oct when the proper bolt ons are combined.

im in the middle of tuning a 2.3L + stock evo 8 turbo.. its making 410+ hp and tq and climbing. and a evo 8 turbo is smaller then the 9.

Last edited by tscompusa2; May 11, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

most people that run the evo 9 turbo are at least 26-27psi.. just because thats not the best efficiency sweet spot for the compressor map for that specific turbo doesn't mean its not going to gain power from it.. its going to increase heat, but it will also make more power.. this is where a good fmic comes in handy along with a good fuel such as e85.

i see no reason not to make 400 with e85.. most cars will make 370-390 on 93oct when the proper bolt ons are combined.
After seeing my mods you think I'll make 400whp/wtq on e85? And at what boost pressure? How can that evo 8 make more than a 9 is it because of the 2.3L displacement? Thanks comp and btw I send you a msg but you havent replied back.

Last edited by gymnasty; May 11, 2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:54 PM
Former Sponsor

i just responded to all my pm's a few minutes ago. you should have gotten a response unless i never got the pm.

i would say it would be very close definitely. the stock 9 cams are big as it is for stock compared to 8's.. you have the fuel and airflow to do it.. granted the ebay fmic is a good core and the wastegate can be tensioned so it helps assist hold boost uptop, etc. i would def say yes it will.
Old May 11, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

i just responded to all my pm's a few minutes ago. you should have gotten a response unless i never got the pm.

i would say it would be very close definitely. the stock 9 cams are big as it is for stock compared to 8's.. you have the fuel and airflow to do it.. granted the ebay fmic is a good core and the wastegate can be tensioned so it helps assist hold boost uptop, etc. i would def say yes it will.
What does that mean to tension the wastegate? Will the tuner be doing the tensioning as he tunes the car or should I buy an aftermarket wastegate? And if so which brand and size?
I didnt get a response so Ill PM you again!
Old May 12, 2011, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

when hes referring to tensioning the wastegate, hes adding some preload to it, which if your looking at the turbo underneath the car, where the back of the wastegate attaches onto the housing theres a buckle on the end, a lock nut and the back of the wastegate with some threads on it. By preloading the wastegate youll open it up slightly later, however the added preload holds the tension (therefore your boost higher) to redline. Simple enough. Thats how guys with stock 9 turbos are holdin anywhere from 22-25 psi dependin on the boost spike with the stock wastegate, without upgrading. Free mod, just make sure you have the proper logging equipment when doing that because you can over do it real easy
Old May 12, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks dastallion! Just wondering would I have to do the tensioning myself prior to getting the car tuned or is this something my tuner will know how to do to make me hold more boost? Thanks again!
Old May 12, 2011, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

you can but u really need to watch your boost gauge, adding even 1-2 turns of preload, can make u possibly hold a couple more psi to redline, which doesnt sound like much but if ur afrs and timing are right that could lead to some pinging aka detonation. so id say do it and test it but have some logging equipment, laptop a mechanic scanner, something that can read afr, boost, 2 byte load, timing, and knock count...then youll be pretty much good to go. good luck

Quick Reply: How much power will my setup make [Mega Merge]