Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

boost leak question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2009 | 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

boost leak question

so i made my own boost leak tester and hooked it up to the compressor and started pumping and was only able to get to 14lbs even though the compressor was pumping way more then that, so obv the car was not leaking air massively, and i got thinking how the system wors yada yada and kept thinking that the air would be pouring ou tof the exhaut? does it leak out of the exhaust i cant see why it ouldnt but im no expert thats for sure?
any help on the situation would be great
thanks guys
Old Nov 26, 2009 | 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

make sure where ever you are is dead quiet when you pressurize your system and you can hear where its coming from.
Old Nov 26, 2009 | 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Andrewkbmx
make sure where ever you are is dead quiet when you pressurize your system and you can hear where its coming from.
+1 to that.
Old Nov 27, 2009 | 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

i got that but that is not my problem i need to no whether you need to block off the exhsut or not and why
Old Nov 27, 2009 | 07:50 AM
fre
Evolved Member

As far as leaking out of the exhaust goes, either the intake or exhaust valves should be closed in any given cylinder, if not all of them (power stroke). The exhaust and intake valves should not be open at the same time, so you should never get leaks out of the exhaust.

You will either be able to get air into the combustion chamber with the exhaust valves closed so it can't get out, or the air won't be able to get into the combustion chamber at all because the intake valves are closed.

I am trying to find a possible leak myself, although the only thing I can hear so far is the throttle body shaft seal, which is normal.

Last edited by fre; Nov 27, 2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2009 | 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fre
As far as leaking out of the exhaust goes, either the intake or exhaust valves should be closed in any given cylinder, if not all of them (power stroke). The exhaust and intake valves should not be open at the same time, so you should never get leaks out of the exhaust.

You will either be able to get air into the combustion chamber with the exhaust valves closed so it can't get out, or the air won't be able to get into the combustion chamber at all because the intake valves are closed.

I am trying to find a possible leak myself, although the only thing I can hear so far is the throttle body shaft seal, which is normal.
thank you very much that is the type of answer i swas looking for... i found some nasty leaking at only 10psi so on to fix them now