Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

excessive amount of smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my car has been smoking like crazy before warm up but when it does warm up the smoke is 95% gone??

wtf is going on here!

Last edited by bbyevo8u; Dec 5, 2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check your dip stick. she should look milky. also a 2003 evo rs???
Old Dec 5, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no my oil is not milky!

could it be oil pressure?
Old Dec 5, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

pm'd
Old Dec 5, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

speaking to the og posted. stop jacking this guys thread.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
do a compresion test on each cylider.... dealer found nothing? wow.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, here is a update.

Recently I decide to recheck the car for the problem.

I'm not sure if the flicker engine oil light is related to this matter but here is what I discover.

When I open the engine oil cap and took a close look at the metal piece that locks the cap to

the engine , I notice some white fluid substance.

I've recheck the dip stick but found none of that white fluid.

Come to term that the head gasket is blown but not yet to a point where the engine is

submerge with the mixing of both oil and coolant , now how to determine why the head

gasket fail is gonna be a PITA.

Oh, what should problem should I dealt with first ?

the oil pressure light (plan to have a mech check oil pressure.)

or

the head gasket
Old Dec 9, 2009, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Since you live in winter, the white stuff (water) under the cap probably means nothing. Normal products of combustion in include water and some of the combustion gases are always leaking past the rings, even on a new engine. If it is cold out this moisture can condense on the underside of the cap.

I'd strongly suggest the oil pressure test next. Nothing can make an engine into a boat anchor faster than no oil pressure. It might be hard to get a good test in the present weather. You need to have the engine fully warmed up.

Finally, I suggest pulling the PCV valve and checking that it rattles and that you can only blow through it one way. If it is stuck open you'd be pressurizing the crankcase. This will push oil through the turbo and make plenty of smoke.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

i just changed my rings ,im in the break in period and the car is still smoking a bit ,not like be4 but its is still ..
is it due to old oil in the exaust and it will finish after a while ?
be4 i was seing smoke in the valve cover and exaust but now its not in the valve cover and its only coming through exaust .
i see more smoke when the car is cold ..
my mecenic told that there is old oil in the exaust and it will finish after a while ,but ive already driven 100km and ts still there ..
Old Dec 10, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure is the gasket ,
even my '03 wrx pulls harder on 1st gear ,
the milky spots substance,
the lack of power ,
No oil on TB or turbo.
mass amount of smoke.

Anyone have pics of the location of the pcv?,

and a link on how to check oil pressure specifically on the evo 8 along with step by
step pictures?.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The most common symptom of a blown head gasket is the water jacket becoming pressurized by the cylinder pressure and the coolant being pushed out of the engine, into the jug and onto the ground. This is accompanied by the engine overheating. Other possible symptoms include coolant in the oil or oil leaking down the back of the block.

You keep talking about massive amounts of smoke and that is oil burning if oil is disappearing from the crankcase. Oil burning is usually caused by broken rings or broken ring lands. Ring problems are brought on by detonation and detonation is caused by the mixture being too lean, too much boost or too much timing – usually a combination of the above.

You also mention the oil light coming on. The oil senders sometimes go bad on these cars and the replacement part is inexpensive. So, put on a new one. If the light still comes on you most likely have wiped bearings but it could be a bad oil pump.

The problem is, you are trying to figure out if these problems exist with your car and you have very little knowledge of engines. I know this is true due to your question concerning the location of the PCV valve, something anyone with some experience could find immediately.

What you need is a good book on engines and to do some reading. Even if this ends up at a professional shop it you will have a hard time having intelligent conversation with the mechanic with your knowledge base.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry for been stupid , but I didn't say I was a mechanic , if i was i wouldn't be asking question
in this forum.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
You keep talking about massive amounts of smoke and that is oil burning if oil is disappearing from the crankcase. Oil burning is usually caused by broken rings or broken ring lands. Ring problems are brought on by detonation and detonation is caused by the mixture being too lean, too much boost or too much timing – usually a combination of the above.
He did a compression test and verified that he had good compression though all cylinders so I doubt this would be the cause. Excessive oil consumption can also be caused by valve guides/reliefs.

+1 on checking the PCV valve, it doesn't seem like the mitsu techs checked the down pipe, only the intercooler piping. Oil could be pushed by the exhaust seal and going out that way too.

The white smoke definitely sounds like a HG issue though.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

The engine sounded (when off) odd coming from the spark plug holes , when i did a compression test.

Last edited by Charlie-Y; Dec 12, 2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Since you live in winter, the white stuff (water) under the cap probably means nothing. Normal products of combustion in include water and some of the combustion gases are always leaking past the rings, even on a new engine. If it is cold out this moisture can condense on the underside of the cap.
I know the difference between white and clear , water is clear , white like milk is....white.
The spots of fluid is white , not clear.

Last edited by Charlie-Y; Dec 12, 2009 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: excessive amount of smoke from exhaust