Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch or something BROKE!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That black thing with the rod bent out the side of it, is the slave cylinder. You need to remove it from the hydraulic line. Go to your local dealer or mitsubishiparts.net and order a new slave cylinder. Get the new one in, hook it up (to the line and the fork), BOLT IT UP, and fill it with fluid. Bleed the air out of the line and get the hydraulic pressure back up to par (check for leaks on new threads too). See if it shifts normal. If it does, your in business. If your still have problems with the pedal, your lines could be split or crushed, change them out for stainless steel ones instead. If your having problems with the shifting in the stick still, the fork could have bent or a shift cable went on you.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Good luck
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

You could also just try and see if you could re-bolt that one and hook it back up to the shift fork and see if it can get you where you want to go. Based on how things look there though, I wouldn't rely on it for too long...

Diagram:

Last edited by buchnerj; Nov 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuevodriver
Well after taking off the intake i notice one of the bolts were off. Might of came loose and flew off somewhere ;( .
That right there is your problem, if no fluids are leaking out and your missing one of the bolts that's holding it in place... Push the rod back in and replace the missing bolt to secure the slave master cylinder back in place... Pump the clutch and if it comes back normal then your good, if not its what the other guys been telling you lol....

Last edited by ChanseEvo8; Nov 28, 2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Wait, so i know what the sleeve cylinder is now. Whats the rod?lol
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Nope i havent done anything to my clutch and its the stock one. Well after taking off the intake i notice one of the bolts were off. Might of came loose and flew off somewhere ;( and the little metal piece thing looked bent. I really need help. Car is at the other house and i dont like it there. lol. Oh and would you guys mind explaning or draw me where the slave cylinder is at? thanks.
This is my help!!!!

Call someone that know or work on Evos, that rod it not bolt to the cylinder slave , is not bent, that rod is just in place cuz of the rubber cover. the rod is not bent.

Last edited by javicracer; Nov 28, 2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

The gold thing that sticks out of the slave cylinder. That rod is supposed to go into the clutch release fork, that black metal fork coming out of the side of the bell housing of the transmission. Once the rod is in the fork, bolt the slave cylinder back in its position, which lines up with the two holes there, and see if the car shifts and moves alright. If not, you still have a problem. Either hydraulic or mechanical (i.e. something bent and broke the bolts).
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

Wait, so i know what the sleeve cylinder is now. Whats the rod?lol
is the part that you think is bent, put it back in place and install the cylinder slave back on the tranny.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by javicracer
Call someone that know or work on Evos, that rod it not bolt to the cylinder slave , is not bent, that rod is just in place cuz of the rubber cover. the rod is not bent.
I hope that the rod is not bent, if it isn't he can save the cylinder. If it is bent he will need to replace it or he will have clutch engagement/disengagement issues. I just don't know how those bolts just fell off... How could they snap off? That would have taken some serious pressure through those hydraulic lines, which is why i suggested he should check things out. So it is possible the rod bent before the bolts broke off. If they just fell off, everything should be okay but that is totally random that they just both fall off...
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
I hope that the rod is not bent, if it isn't he can save the cylinder. If it is bent he will need to replace it or he will have clutch engagement/disengagement issues. I just don't know how those bolts just fell off... How could they snap off? That would have taken some serious pressure through those hydraulic lines, which is why i suggested he should check things out. So it is possible the rod bent before the bolts broke off. If they just fell off, everything should be okay but that is totally random that they just both fall off...
i dont think is possible bent that rod!

The rod look like that if the cylinder slave is not bolt in the tranny!
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

I understand that, I have never seen this before. How could those TWO bolts just randomly fall off? He said no tranny work/clutch work was done. So two bolts just randomly gave out on him either just snapped off or FELL off... If they snapped, I would be surprised if something didn't burst or bend before the bolts broke. If they just fell off then he can just bolt it right back up. Just a really weird problem to have.

Sure no one was just under your hood with a wrench playing around loosening things??
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:32 AM

Yea I was gonna say it looks like one if not any bolts are holding your slave cylinder on. It looks like the bolt closest to the clutch fork came off and the slave cylinder rotated possibly causing the rod to bend.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

Sure no one was just under your hood with a wrench playing around loosening things??
mayb this was the problem

Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitegalant
Yea I was gonna say it looks like one if not any bolts are holding your slave cylinder on. It looks like the bolt closest to the clutch fork came off and the slave cylinder rotated possibly causing the rod to bend.
See, but in the picture it looks like both of the bolts came off. Look at the top of the empty hole in the bottom of the picture. So two bolts randomly give out or fall off...

Elf did it...
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
tow your car to a trans shop.....
Old Nov 28, 2009, 01:11 AM

See, but in the picture it looks like both of the bolts came off. Look at the top of the empty hole in the bottom of the picture. So two bolts randomly give out or fall off...

Elf did it...
I just really dont see how it could bend with bolts off Thats why I was thinking maybe one came off first, bending the rod, then the other worked its way out. Because if both bolts came out at the same time, the rod wouldent have bent, the whole assembly would have just pushed itself away.

Quick Reply: Clutch or something BROKE!!!