Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Norris Designs - Supercharged & Turbocharged kit!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I have been following the evo 5 thread. You cant really tell anything from video. You cant see the tach, the speedo doesnt work either. And there is no dyno posted. He did say he was making 480tq at 4000rpm like that was impressive. I have seen a local FP black make 570wtq at 4100 rpm on a stock 2.0. The whole purpose of a twin setup is to gain a broader power band than what can be achieved with a single setup. The only setup that worked from very low rpm and made stupid flat torque was the norris setup. twin turbos arent capable of such a feat. unless is setup as sequential. but most are onto the compound turbos. they give big turbos better spool but they fall short in the low rpm below 4000. they also choke up top more because most the exhaust still has to go through smaller turbo which creates high back pressures
Im not being funny but Mac's EVO 5 is in a very copetitive race series here in the UK. He cant go around giving out ALL the info he has! Otherwise someone will copy the idea and he would no longer be blowing the class records out the windo! as already stated it is still in the R&D Stages. hardly a finshed product. Also he has only given the 1 figure you mentioned, and that was with the bust supercharger and a badly slipping cltuch! again this is hardly the finished item is it?

Finally, at least he has built this! it might not be the best, but what else is there in the EVO world like it?!?!? NOTHING! So please try not to put down someones work so fast!

Regards,

Chris.

PS same gose for Kevin work. It might not be what you want but its doing pretty bl00dy good for him.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

And this is how suspect norris did it. Use a small super charger that makes boost right off idle. and then shut the charger off with a/c style clutch, and bypass air around it. then at higher rpm have at it with oversize turbo that is unrestricted by the first.

I dont think the evo 5 is bypassing the supercharger. you can here it the whole time. so the torque curve will fall at higher rpms due to inefficiency of surpercharger in the way.

If some one could just share what supercharger setup was used I would consider building one of these. It may actually be from the 1.4 engine. There is a toyota roots charger being sold regularly on e-bay right now. they come with clutch and bypass valve. but the engine was a 2.4. the charger looks to be on the large side for the project. it came on a toyota previa. I cant find a dyno curve of the previa anywhere. but it may have impressive torque at 2000 rpm. then shuts off charger at cruise speeds.

I'm not saying you are wrong but a supercharger is a positive displacement pump, I would use a larger supercharger to spool up the turbo (Lysholm 3116 or larger) a small supercharger would not have enough air per revolution! I would also go with a twin screw (Lysholm, Whipple, Kenne-Bell, and Optcon) Roots type blowers do just that Blow, all the others compress the air inside the supercharger and have an internal compression ratio, lower outlet temps.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Fairclough
I'm not saying you are wrong but a supercharger is a positive displacement pump, I would use a larger supercharger to spool up the turbo (Lysholm 3116 or larger) a small supercharger would not have enough air per revolution! I would also go with a twin screw (Lysholm, Whipple, Kenne-Bell, and Optcon) Roots type blowers do just that Blow, all the others compress the air inside the supercharger and have an internal compression ratio, lower outlet temps.
I am not saying I am right. But a blower was used on the VW because the blower gets the air moving the fastest. Its actually making boost at idle according to tech on the car. The heat a blower makes is not gonna be a problem. Its only going to be blowing to about 3500-4000rpm. Then it gets bypassed all together. low rpm doesnt require much airflow to feed. thats why a 16g can make 38psi at 3000rpm and at at 7500rpm it will be struggling to hold 20. A good intercooler will have no problem removing the heat.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

I am not saying I am right. But a blower was used on the VW because the blower gets the air moving the fastest. Its actually making boost at idle according to tech on the car. The heat a blower makes is not gonna be a problem. Its only going to be blowing to about 3500-4000rpm. Then it gets bypassed all together. low rpm doesnt require much airflow to feed. thats why a 16g can make 38psi at 3000rpm and at at 7500rpm it will be struggling to hold 20. A good intercooler will have no problem removing the heat.
Like I said a twin screw will take care of all the issues you just stated. It builds boost at lower rpm's and has a lower outlet temp, also less parasitic drag, and it does not use Teflon strips to seal it. Ah but what do I know, I've only been playing with twin charges on Buses for 15yrs.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Twin screw is the way to go
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:47 PM

this looks like an insane setup
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

wow impressive, but supercharged Evo is a nono lol
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

The VW supercharge is probably tiny. Like a M45 unit (as used on the MINI cooper S). and dont forget he VW engine is only 1.4ltr. So oyu are going to need to multiply the size of the supercharge by about 1.43 to get to the correct sized unit for the Evos 2.0ltr.

Also where are you going to get an electric clutch system?

have oyu seen the way lancer did it with the S4? their set up went as follows, Air Filter - Turbo - Intercooler No. 1 - supercherger - intercooler No. 2 - intake manifold. They then ran a bypass vavle to bypass the SC at higher rpm. worked prety well for them back in the 80's! lol
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
toyota SC12 and SC14 superchargers have electric clutches on them from factory
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats crazzzy
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For anyone not aware of Madmacs Twincharge Evo 5 then you can find his thread here: CLICKY
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RSMike
toyota SC12 and SC14 superchargers have electric clutches on them from factory
That they do.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
So are there any affordable twin screws with clutch? The SC14 can be had for 400 or less.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:08 AM

Norris just announced new bolt on kit on their FB page;

Some more information about the NEW "Bolt on" ND Supercharger kit for your Evo 4-9, making it a "Twin charged" setup.
Attached are some "on the fly" Motec screen grabs of boost Vs Rpm on a power run.
Pic 1: 0.36 Bar Boost at 1140 rpm
Pic 2: 0.66 Bar Boost at 1430 rpm
Pic 3: 1.72 Bar Boost at 1960 rpm
Pic 4: 2.32 Bar Boost at 2170 rpm
Incredible I think you'll agree!
More to come!................