Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quaife or Wavetrac?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quaife or Wavetrac?

I am looking into replacing my front diff in my car while my tranny is out. I like that the Quaife units have a lifetime warranty. I am also hearing that the Wavetrac's are pretty good as well. Do they carry a lifetime warranty? All i found was it stating it had a limited lifetime warranty. Please include any personal experiences with either diff that you may have. Are there any pros or cons to either? Thanks in advance for any input.

Also, any vendors on here who carry either one, please PM me your best price shipped to 80910. Thanks.

Aaron
Old Dec 2, 2009, 09:15 AM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
contact RoadRaceEngineering.com for the Wavetrac.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 09:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Both are GREAT companies. Quaife is had a great rep for a long time now, but i am curious of these new wavetracs. It seems they are putting a ton of engineering in their units now and seem to be very strong
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:52 AM

I am having the same dilemma + I found another one to add to the mix. The RA/RS Helical Diff.

http://teamrip.com/EVO_TRANSFER_CASE_SERVICES.html

Shep offers Quaife & Wavetrac
TRE offers RA/RS only (though I am sure they will put in whatever you buy)

If they are all considered equals (strength, amount of traction provided), the Quaife would be the winner due to it's lifetime warranty.

Correct?

Can anyone using either post their thoughts/experience
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:56 AM
Account Disabled

Wavetrac also offers a transferable life time warranty.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 02:50 PM

Is'nt the wavetrac a 1 way?

Last edited by rascal; Dec 2, 2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 2, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
I've run both the quaife and a wavetrac. I can't tell a difference other than I can't get the driver side stub axle split ring to install into the wavetrac...kinda sucks. I finally just gave up and took the ring off.

They're the same price, same warranty, same driveablity.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had talked to shep about both of these when i was thinking about building my tranny. He told me that if its more of a DD and street driven rather than weekend warrior or track car then go with the wavetrac. qualife i believe is a bit more harsh but performs better...not saying that the wavetrac is bad quality by any circomstance though.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone else with any feedback on these?

Aaron
Old Dec 26, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Well i went with the Wavetrac for a couple reasons (cost was not a factor with deciding) which i now have installed. We have some pretty crappy weather here currently so i haven't been able to test it out.

Aaron
Old Dec 26, 2009, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is the t-case the front diff?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:35 AM

During abrupt autocross type maneuvers when ONE of the front tires might lose traction, I did notice the wavetrac gives you a very brief window before reverting to open diff characteristics (as all torsens do eventually). This is in contrast to the quaife which would immediately start spinning the inside tire when one of the tires lifted or lost traction. The difference in the wavetrac and quaife was most apparent when doing 360's around a cone.

I did come across the ring issue mentioned above though, necessitating machining a new groove in the axle.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by jassem99
During abrupt autocross type maneuvers when ONE of the front tires might lose traction, I did notice the wavetrac gives you a very brief window before reverting to open diff characteristics (as all torsens do eventually). This is in contrast to the quaife which would immediately start spinning the inside tire when one of the tires lifted or lost traction. The difference in the wavetrac and quaife was most apparent when doing 360's around a cone.

I did come across the ring issue mentioned above though, necessitating machining a new groove in the axle.
Would the Carbonetics or any other 1.5 / 2 way diff prevent this from happening? I believe it will which brings the question, why did you (or anyone) chose Wavetrac/Quaife over a 1.5/2 way?

Price?
Rebuild factor/cost?

Sorry for all the questions, this is the next path in the upgrade process and I am trying to make an informed decision on which to go with. Wavetrac/Quife/Carbonetics or Cusco
Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say durability/reliability... Not a fan of clutch type front diffs on anything but a race car that gets frequent servicing. People can say well I did this, or I did that. However, 10k (or sometimes MUCH less) miles later, someone who truly knows what a car is supposed to do will notice the clutch type diffs wearing out. Whereas the gear types like Quaife, you take it out when you wear out the car from around it (sleight exaggeration )... Pardon the grammer/spelling from the phone/freeway.

For example, my stock rear diff is shot... My older OE RS front diff still going strong. IMO the RS front is fine for the road racer/daily driver. However, the drag racer/auto-X clutch pedal side stepper would be better served with the Quaife/Wavetec type units for the front. For the rear, being that the Evo likes to hike a rear leg, I WOULD stick with a clutch type out back for obvious reasons. Not to mention, it's easy to get to, and about $250ish for "good" rebuilds.

Last edited by Zeus; Dec 28, 2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 237 Likes on 213 Posts
is this an improvement over a stock ix's helical?

Quick Reply: Quaife or Wavetrac?