Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can it be done? Using 2 more stock coils so theres a total of 4?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 07:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
the reason i used K20a Honda coils is because the USA boys are running them to 900hp in their drag cars...
Old Dec 3, 2009, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
okada = joke. its just a poor or messed with ground that gives you those pulses on the oscilloscope

It is not actually multiple sparks, or even ONE better spark.

If you pushed the limits of okada vs spoolinup's or spark tech's non cdi... which, are about the same price(spoolin's is)... i bet his COP would crush the okada coils hands down.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 09:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just purchase 300m coils and a cdi box either the dynateck or the m&w and have a plate made... then just wire it up.. Its same coils/box used in any COP system like --- buschur/ams/sparktech
Old Dec 3, 2009, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xRoguex
okada = joke. its just a poor or messed with ground that gives you those pulses on the oscilloscope

It is not actually multiple sparks, or even ONE better spark.

If you pushed the limits of okada vs spoolinup's or spark tech's non cdi... which, are about the same price(spoolin's is)... i bet his COP would crush the okada coils hands down.
ok well thanks for the obvious Okada is garbage.. this is a fact.. but no1 is talking about them so whats ur point?
im not refering to anyone elses products or talking about testing them..

Originally Posted by 1NastyMR
just purchase 300m coils and a cdi box either the dynateck or the m&w and have a plate made... then just wire it up.. Its same coils/box used in any COP system like --- buschur/ams/sparktech
I do understand this and am well aware of all the cop cdi and non cdi systems this is not what this tread is about..

Its trying to figure out an alternative setups that are cost effiecient (i dont need to hear about spoolinups) and am wondering if anyone has tried this method..

also witht eh 300ms yes i know you can get em cheapp i can get 4 with mounting plate for 100 bucks right now.. then 250 for dlII i know about this route..
again trying to find out about THIS not oh you should just do this and this...

Old Dec 3, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

what he said^+1... but I will say that with the wiring diagram provided by the NZD boy, its possible to just use stock coil x 4 and wire it up. spark output per cylinder would be more, but would have to take a closer look at the schematic to see approximately how much. The plate construction is backyard knowledge and ingenuity. This has been talked about and tested before, but the hassle of putting it together versus the higher output coils (300M) weren't equal in the end. But hey, to each their own... good luck.. always like to see someone trying something new... or different.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoLutionized8
what he said^+1... but I will say that with the wiring diagram provided by the NZD boy, its possible to just use stock coil x 4 and wire it up. spark output per cylinder would be more, but would have to take a closer look at the schematic to see approximately how much. The plate construction is backyard knowledge and ingenuity. This has been talked about and tested before, but the hassle of putting it together versus the higher output coils (300M) weren't equal in the end. But hey, to each their own... good luck.. always like to see someone trying something new... or different.
Thanks

thats the kind of info im looking for to SEE if anyone has attempted this.. i wasnt planning on it just tryin to figure ways to help others.. I hate wireing
just trying to figure cheap way to help those that CANT afford the systems
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:02 PM
EvoM Guru

can anyone list some links for the 300M coils?
or a better explanation of what they are?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Use the search tab here.. there is tons of info and trial and error of people doin setups with 300m coils on this site!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:40 PM
Account Disabled

its already proven and works... 300m coils and a cdi box... why would you wanna wire up 4 stock coils...seems dumb if you ask me... stick to what works... its not to expensive going that route either so how much more cost effecitve do you wanna be.... you jsut said 250 for the box... 100 for coils/plate thats 350... pretty cheap if you ask me for COP that will work...
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:11 AM
EvoM Guru

its already proven and works... 300m coils and a cdi box... why would you wanna wire up 4 stock coils...seems dumb if you ask me... stick to what works... its not to expensive going that route either so how much more cost effecitve do you wanna be.... you jsut said 250 for the box... 100 for coils/plate thats 350... pretty cheap if you ask me for COP that will work...
well these K20a honda coils are proven to work up to 900hp on honda drag cars.
they have built in ignitors. All you have to do is wire up your 12v, earth and signal wire. This is why i've done it. It's just that simple.

If i used 300M coils, i'd have to do CDI and/or ignitor setup. I dont want to do that, it's pure overkill. And this way, if one of my coils die for whatever reason, i just head down to the Wreckers and buy another coil from honda for $60NZD.

so you seem dumb if you ask me... maybe people dont wanna get in the mainstream line where no thinking occurs...

Where do you get 4x new 300M coils for $100USD?
And for me, those costs you listed are massively understated.
USD to NZD currency exchange, plus postage to a county half way around the world. Not to mention customs/duty costs/taxes.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

your missing the whole purpose for this post.... I know that works i had it on my 2g...

im looking for alternative ways for members that cant afford or dont want to spend that kind of money.... was thinking aloud..
Old Dec 4, 2009, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSMike
well these K20a honda coils are proven to work up to 900hp on honda drag cars.
they have built in ignitors. All you have to do is wire up your 12v, earth and signal wire. This is why i've done it. It's just that simple.

If i used 300M coils, i'd have to do CDI and/or ignitor setup. I dont want to do that, it's pure overkill. And this way, if one of my coils die for whatever reason, i just head down to the Wreckers and buy another coil from honda for $60NZD.

so you seem dumb if you ask me... maybe people dont wanna get in the mainstream line where no thinking occurs...

Where do you get 4x new 300M coils for $100USD?
And for me, those costs you listed are massively understated.
USD to NZD currency exchange, plus postage to a county half way around the world. Not to mention customs/duty costs/taxes.
see you understand the purpose for this..

i got the hookup
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Im with the OP here. The topic at hand for this thread is regarding the use of two more stock coils. As far as using 300m coils and a cdi box, its a good idea and but it has been discussed in other threads.

The use of two more stock coils interests me for a couple of reasons. Im all about a relatively inexpensive DIY which yields decent results. Will the unit with a CDI box work better? Most likely, but for me I am never going to need that much spark. My car runs perfectly fine with the stock coils. But that doesnt mean I couldnt benefit from a better ignition. Im not about to go out and spend $3-$400. That money could be spent in other areas with higher yields for my situation atleast.

Thats really why this topic interests me. I am by no means electrical savvy, however it seems to me like for under $100 and a little bit of ingenuity this could be possible.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I dont know that adding two more stock coils will do anything at all. You still only have two trigger wires. So the two added coils will be firing twice every 720 just like the first two. In affect all you are doing is eliminating the two spark plug wires and replacing it with two coils. The system will still be operating in wasted spark with the same dwell and all. If you try you will have to figure out how to eliminate the spark coming out of the plug wire port. otherwise that energy will just jump to the cover and ground there instead of a plug gap.

I like what RS mike has done. Find a set of coils that actually increases spark output with out any other changes. The 300m are garbage IMHO. they are not stronger than stock coils. they absolutely need a cdi box to boost them for them to be considered better than stock mitsu coils. CDI boxes are not reliable. Best to avoid them if your setup can. The non- cdi COP that some are selling is using toyota celica coils from what I heard. I would look into them or these k20 coils that mike is using.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Dec 4, 2009 at 07:23 PM.