Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock Crank Horsepower limitations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Stock Crank Horsepower limitations

I realize the stock crank is very strong but how strong? will it handle 600 - 700whp?? . Just finalizing some items that i want to include on my engine build. I realize that a bad tune can blow anything up, so i'm saying with a good tune will it be able to handle this reliably?

I've seen the Eagle crank, which i honestly can't see being better then stock. The Cosworth crank must be made out of a gold infused titanium that attracts hot blond Swedish models to your car for the price there asking...so i don't know were the middle of the road is here.

I will get the stock one balanced if that is the route i deside to take. But when would someone diside to go with an aftermaret crank? i haven't really looked into that aspect of the motor because i always thought that I wouldn't have to worry about it, but it never hurts to ask.

I've seen the Egale crank, which i honestly can't see being better then stock. The Cosworth crank i would have to putting a couple more hookers on the street for a year to afford..
Old Dec 3, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K1 crank. A stocker will take a lot..500+ hp will not be a problem with proper tune.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnus?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
1100+whp starts to microfracture it. We have never seen one break though so I am not sure I would be too concerned. Aftermarket cranks main advantage is they offer lighter weight, and in the case of the Magnus it is truly stronger and problem free by comparison.
The following users liked this post:
uneekvisions (May 19, 2023)
Old Dec 3, 2009, 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt you will ever need anything but a stock crank. Our car goes pretty fast with a stocker

-Em
Old Dec 3, 2009, 05:07 PM

I have seen over 1000 whp on a stock crank. The after market cranks are lighter and usually have a better counter weight design but you can easily have a shop knife edge and rebalance your stock crank for a lot less money than buying a K1
Old Dec 3, 2009, 05:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
The Cosworth crank must be made out of a gold infused titanium that attracts hot blond Swedish models to your car for the price there asking.
In my experience, in this business, you get what you pay for (parts wise, all things being equal).

The Cosworth has a lot of engineering into it. If the K1 were made in the US instead of China, it would be closer in price to the Cosworth.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ what he said. You get what you pay for, and for a larger displacement crank you are going to be hard pressed to find something better than a Cossie one.

Stock crank on a built engine is pretty stout from what I have seen
Old Dec 3, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I don't disagree with the fact that you get what you pay for. In most case's i'll try to go top shelf with the parts that i select. I just wanted to know if i would be looking at 3000+ dollars for a crank (in the case of the cosy) but if a stocker will handle the power, then i'll just get it knife edged and spend the money on a bigger turbo ect.

Thanks for the help gents
Old Dec 3, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
I don't disagree with the fact that you get what you pay for. In most case's i'll try to go top shelf with the parts that i select. I just wanted to know if i would be looking at 3000+ dollars for a crank (in the case of the cosy) but if a stocker will handle the power, then i'll just get it knife edged and spend the money on a bigger turbo ect.

Thanks for the help gents
That's what I would do!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
In my experience, in this business, you get what you pay for (parts wise, all things being equal).

The Cosworth has a lot of engineering into it. If the K1 were made in the US instead of China, it would be closer in price to the Cosworth.
I'll agree that you usually get what you pay for, but I wouldn't go so far to say "if it's more expensive, it's gotta be better." Most aftermarket rods and cranks are made in China now, do you know where Cosworth has theirs forged? Serious question.