Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

is it safe to use 10-50 race mobil 1?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2003, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the best oil weight. can i use a weight for warmer temps even though im in california?
Old Oct 25, 2003, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

I would not. Mutli-viscosity oil with higher differences are not the best i.e. 10-50 has 40 while 10-30 has 20. Oil with the least amount of variance while giving the best protection at various weather condtions are the best. Here in California, 10-30 is about the best for the Evo while places with colder temps, a 5-30 would be better for protection. If you only use your car for track race where high temp protection is a must than a true 50 weight race oil (non multi-viscoity) would be the best.

Check oil company websites for more info.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 03:40 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you. Currently I use Mobile 1 10-30. I do race. Would you reccomend a switch to 10-50?
Old Oct 30, 2003, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net
Thank you. Currently I use Mobile 1 10-30. I do race. Would you reccomend a switch to 10-50?
I'd recommend Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic. I'm not sure about their race spec products. Their 15W50 is ACEA A3 spec so it can easily withstand the HTHS situations in racing. I used it with no problems when racing on a course.
A3 means it was tested up to 150C(302F) while still giving very good viscosity levels and no breakdown. The stock fill 10W30 can NOT accomplish that and will break down at those temps. On the track the oil can get around 280C(137F) which is right below the HTHS test given for A3 spec'd oils.
So on the track I would use the 15W50 and stick with the 10W30 on the street.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

I run the 15-50 also the one with the red top. they say it is recommended for turbo applications
Old Oct 30, 2003, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by sir lurks alot
I run the 15-50 also the one with the red top. they say it is recommended for turbo applications
PRetty much. All the 'thinner' oils are purely for the satisfaction of CAFE. Once those thinner oils get hot they become garbage and break down.

CarPhoto, it'll be more helpful if you explain WHAT kind of racing you do. And how often.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 07:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems the oil runs pretty damn hot in these cars under load. It would be nice to see David and the other racers comment on this subject... even if it does pertain more to road racing.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Zeus
It seems the oil runs pretty damn hot in these cars under load.
Apparently. Good thing mitsu gave us that nice big oil cooler.

If you're tracking your car frequently an oil temp gauge would seem necessary. From there I would choose the correct oil for your specific app. Or at least it would be a good start. Check the manufacturers listed specs on the oil and understand it.
If you take it to the track once or twice a year I wouldn't even bother with the oil.

simevo,
if you're using a single viscosity oil for racing wouldn't it have to be preheated before the engine is started? Seems to me if the oil is made to run only at high temps and high stress then cold start would create havoc. A little too much effort for a couple track days a year.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 10:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mayhem

Apparently. Good thing mitsu gave us that nice big oil cooler.

If you're tracking your car frequently an oil temp gauge would seem necessary. From there I would choose the correct oil for your specific app. Or at least it would be a good start. Check the manufacturers listed specs on the oil and understand it.
If you take it to the track once or twice a year I wouldn't even bother with the oil.

simevo,
if you're using a single viscosity oil for racing wouldn't it have to be preheated before the engine is started? Seems to me if the oil is made to run only at high temps and high stress then cold start would create havoc. A little too much effort for a couple track days a year.
Even with the "nice big oil cooler" oil temps seem to run fairly hot under extended load. Old man or not, I run the **** out of my cars when in them…even on the street, yet baby them on the maintenance side of things. I was looking at more heat resistant oils when this thread came up...
Old Oct 30, 2003, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Redline recommends you use 15w50 if your temps exceed 225f when racing.

I posted a thread and got some responses about oil temp, and under heavy load I thought they were around 260 or so.

So we could use a 15w50 or equivelant.

If you do want to switch, I suggest Castrol RS Syntec 10w60, which is the ****. All the Euro rally boys are running.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Concerns about wider spread synthethic oils are to my knowledge unwarranted. There is an issue with deposits on the wide spread viscosity dino oils.

With regard to going to a heavier oil, synthetic or not, unless you really need it you are probably better off with the lightest oil that adequately lubricates your engine as heavier oil will give you less horsepower.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone make something closer to a synthetic 15-40?

Just trying to find a good balance since temps dont get too cold in SoCal and 30 seems a bit thin.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by alleggerita
Concerns about wider spread synthethic oils are to my knowledge unwarranted. There is an issue with deposits on the wide spread viscosity dino oils.

With regard to going to a heavier oil, synthetic or not, unless you really need it you are probably better off with the lightest oil that adequately lubricates your engine as heavier oil will give you less horsepower.
you be making even less HP once an oil breaks down and stops lubricating. No one ever said choose an overly heavy oil. I'm in complete agreance that you should not exceed your application. But the 50's are necessary when racing the Evolution. It's very rare for an oil less than 50 to meet the ACEA A3 standard syn or not. The oil temps we're running would strongly suggest we run an A3 oil. Guess what, the stock fill 10W30 M1 is not A3.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mayhem you smart man =P
Old Oct 30, 2003, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by boostedwrx
mayhem you smart man =P
Ha! My girl calls me a smart ***.

Quick Reply: is it safe to use 10-50 race mobil 1?