Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

sucess with inline pumps?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:22 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ted B
The cons are burned out pumps, and you have seen that.

The only pro is reducing the noise of the second pump due to its present placement.
That is not true, my burnt out pumps (walbro 392s) were when they were running all the time. I didn't switch to the aem control until I switched over to the Bosche, which has yet to fail. Now I did run the Bosche all the time for about 10 months prior to switching it on only above 5psi, which has been for the last 3 months or so. If I find that it shortens the life of either pump I will gladly switch back and probably just put up with the noise.

I know of another setup in town that has his rigged the same way as me and he has been going for over a year now so far. I guess I will be the next test subject.

Last edited by fre; Dec 8, 2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:31 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an inline walbro, i dont here any noise at all.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:44 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 460hpevo8
i have an inline walbro, i dont here any noise at all.
You probably have it by your fuel tank, not in the engine bay like I do. I am a bit lazy and wanted to just make use of the stock fuel lines and keep in an easy access spot.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:18 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Same concept. No difference in operation. You just have an expensive Hobbs switch
Yea, I know they are the same, except I can add parameters like throttle position if I want to into the mix.

Compared to what? When both pumps are running, the system works the same...
I am just reporting what I noticed between the two setups (keeping it on all the time and only above 5psi), I noticed .3-.4 a/f richer on the top end (7500-8500rpm). This could have been a change in temperature as I can't verify all the conditions between the two tests, but it wasn't a huge difference anyway.

There's no benefit to having a fuel system below 5 PSI that is choked up by a non-running pump in the feed line. There is a substantial con to that idea, because you are forcing the in-tank Walbro to work much harder to push fuel past the non-working second pump. Lots of people have killed in-tank pumps in this situation when the in-line accidently failed. You're doing the same thing, but on purpose...
That is the data I want to research, I want to find actual cases of people having pumps fail due to this setup being in place. I don't know of any as of now. I understand the concepts you and Ted are explaining, I am just not convinced the extra work the in tank pump has to exert is enough to cause premature failure. I need more hard data points. So far I only know of a person in town running the setup for a year and myself for 3 months and so far, neither of us have had issues.

Last edited by fre; Dec 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:21 AM
Account Disabled

my inline walbro is in the engine bay , connected directly to the fuel rail. give dan a call at batlground.com, he can tell u more about it. Works real good, no noise at all. He said i can up the boost to 35psi or 500hp without a problems with this setup. And iam still on stock rail and fuel pressure regulator.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:24 AM
Account Disabled

iam also on stock fuel lines. My afr are right around 12.0 at redline,which is pretty good tune. We also advance the timing around 18 degree for e85. which is pretty high .
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:32 AM
fre
Evolved Member

iam also on stock fuel lines. My afr are right around 12.0 at redline,which is pretty good tune. We also advance the timing around 18 degree for e85. which is pretty high .
How is your pump wired? I have mine directly to the battery, so it probably sees around 14v and has no relay for speed control (resistor to drop voltage), which would also solve my problem. Your tune sounds about right on e85. I have gotten upwards of 550whp out of this fuel system before it sends my injectors static.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:43 AM
Account Disabled

my inline wired directly to the battery with a fuse and relay. Then the pump also had connect with a hobbs switch , with a vacuum line t the the intake manifold. He recommended the hobbs switch connected so the pump only kick on when it's 4psi boost and up. He doesnt want to run it all the time. I have no ideas. Maybe it's too much fuel for idling.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by fre
I want to find actual cases of people having pumps fail due to this setup being in place. I don't know of any as of now.
That's at least partly because few would do this. It's unnecessary. A phone call to Bosch would be a good idea.

He doesnt want to run it all the time. I have no ideas. Maybe it's too much fuel for idling.
That shouldn't be a problem with series pumps. There are plenty of OEM cars out there with twin pumps running in series, full time. I know, I own two different ones.

Last edited by Ted B; Dec 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:54 AM
fre
Evolved Member

That's at least partly because few would do this. It's unnecessary.
Yes, I guess I will have to be a lab rat along with the other evo here in town.

That shouldn't be a problem with series pumps. There are plenty of OEM cars out there with twin pumps running in series, full time. I know, I own two different ones.
This is true, I had no idling issues due to them both running all the time, it was purely noise related.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:58 AM
fre
Evolved Member

my inline wired directly to the battery with a fuse and relay. Then the pump also had connect with a hobbs switch , with a vacuum line t the the intake manifold. He recommended the hobbs switch connected so the pump only kick on when it's 4psi boost and up. He doesnt want to run it all the time. I have no ideas. Maybe it's too much fuel for idling.
Well the reason you don't hear your pump in the engine bay is because your setup the same way as me where it doesn't kick on until boost hits, I must have looked over that in a previous post.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:10 PM
Account Disabled

well fre, even when iam on boosted, i dont hear any pump noise at all. All i hear is the turbo whistling and the exhuast. I had this setup for about a month, who khow. You might have a bad pump.. My only problem now is the cold starting in the morning man. iam sure it is the e85 fuel . But if i mixed about 2 gallons of 87 pump gas, start pretty easy in the morning.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:12 PM
fre
Evolved Member

well fre, even when iam on boosted, i dont hear any pump noise at all. All i hear is the turbo whistling and the exhuast. I had this setup for about a month, who khow. You might have a bad pump.. My only problem now is the cold starting in the morning man. iam sure it is the e85 fuel . But if i mixed about 2 gallons of 87 pump gas, start pretty easy in the morning.
I only heard it when I was running them both all the time, and you don't run them that way.

Just cruising on the freeway would be enough to quiet the pump down. It was only when I was idling at a light or under very light throttle, almost like there was backpressure causing the noise until enough of the fuel was being used to relieve it.

The reason you don't hear it is because you don't switch it on under those conditions, just like me now. That is why I only switch my pump on above 5psi, so I don't hear it when it would be noisey (vacuum).

Last edited by fre; Dec 8, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fre
Well I run a walbro 255 in tank and a bosche 044 inline in series on the stock fuel line and I will say your parallel setup will flow better. My inline setup is supporting around 550whp right now on E85 and probably more like 650whp on race fuel with my 1150cc injectors.
Awesome!

Originally Posted by norcalSRTrida
i didnt have the $ to fork out for a dual pump setup. not alot of people do in this day w/ this economy. like i said, aside from the addition of an external 255, the price to make a twins, cost me like $100. i made this twin pump setup a year ago. works PERFECT. no complaints. no issues w/ function, or drivability.
I feel you on this as I just can't stomach paying nearly $650 for double pumper set up when there are options out there at a much cheaper price.

Oh boy. Pumps in series need to be run full time.
By "in series" you are talking about when one pump is activated by a certain PSI level, right? And by "in line" you are referring to having two pumps essentially running 100% of the time along the same path that operate as soon as you turn your car on, right?

That's fine, but dual inline Walbro pumps running full time are present on thousands of cars.
Very nice to know.

i got an inline walbro and intank walbro, no problem at all. making 462 whp, 450 tg. 30psi, e85 fuel, fp red 80mm, 1200cc pte. works great. can go to 550whp with this fuel setup.
I wonder where I'd be limited to power-wise on E85 with 1050cc injectors on the 73HTA Green. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:11 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
By "in series" you are talking about when one pump is activated by a certain PSI level, right? And by "in line" you are referring to having two pumps essentially running 100% of the time along the same path that operate as soon as you turn your car on, right??
If you install the Bosch by your fuel tank under the car, then just wire a single relay into the stock fuel pump signal, if you want to mount it in your engine bay, consider a second relay, switching it on with a hobbs (pressure) switch at 5psi or so because of how noisey they are.

Originally Posted by pure_evo
I wonder where I'd be limited to power-wise on E85 with 1050cc injectors on the 73HTA Green. Any thoughts?
I would guess somewhere around 500whp with the Bosch inline and a walbro 255 in tank. You might be able to sqeeze 520 or so, I have 100cc bigger injectors and have hit 550whp, but went way over 100% (109%) or some rediculous crap like that. I can only manage 530whp keeping it at 100% on the dot.

Of course all these whp numbers are estimates since dynos and measuring methods vary by up to 15-20%. I guess a better way to put it is you should be able to get away with around 30psi on a 35r (not sure what the equivalant is on a green), assuming your head, block and intake manifold are stock and your running a decent amount of timing. Of course a green will flow less, so you will probably be able to max it out. If you run less timing, you will be able to run more boost and use the same amount of fuel.

Last edited by fre; Jan 14, 2010 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply: sucess with inline pumps?