Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

sucess with inline pumps?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fre
One interesting thing I noticed, was while at idle, light throttle, the inline pump would be quite loud (like it was seeing a lot of backpressure) and once I got on the throttle a little more I couldn't even hear it anymore (like it was using enough of the fuel to relieve the back pressure).

Anyhow, I will read up on it and see what I find. There are quite a few people doing their setups the way I do it as well without issues, so I don't think the cons are that bad. I guess time could tell me the same thing. I have had the same in tank walbro since I pretty much bought the car back in may 04. If it suddenly fails in a year, I guess the extra stress was too much, if it lasts another 3 years, then the cons certainly are not bad enough to justify having to A) put up with the extra noise. B) relocate the pump with a LOT of extra fuel line being needed.
Originally Posted by fre
I only heard it when I was running them both all the time, and you don't run them that way.

Just cruising on the freeway would be enough to quiet the pump down. It was only when I was idling at a light or under very light throttle, almost like there was backpressure causing the noise until enough of the fuel was being used to relieve it.

The reason you don't hear it is because you don't switch it on under those conditions, just like me now. That is why I only switch my pump on above 5psi, so I don't hear it when it would be noisey (vacuum).

fre, Id like for you to do a simple check for me reguarding your "noise" issue as I probley already know what it is, as too why the bosch is humming and making "abnormal" noises at low pressures. Im sure your running some sort of adjustable AFPR. Whats the base fuel pressure set too (vac line disconnected). How much vacuum is your engine pulling at idle, via the boost guage? Whats the fuel pressure read with the vac line connected?(if its varying whats it reading inbetween)?
I run both pumps with key/on activation, never once had a problem.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:21 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1slowlaser
fre, Id like for you to do a simple check for me reguarding your "noise" issue as I probley already know what it is, as too why the bosch is humming and making "abnormal" noises at low pressures. Im sure your running some sort of adjustable AFPR. Whats the base fuel pressure set too (vac line disconnected). How much vacuum is your engine pulling at idle, via the boost guage? Whats the fuel pressure read with the vac line connected?(if its varying whats it reading inbetween)?
I run both pumps with key/on activation, never once had a problem.
You might be on to something, because I just recently fixed a bunch of boost leaks and last time I flipped my pump on it wasn't nearly as loud. My base pressure with the vacuum line on is 42psi... I am guessing with it off 45psi or so, but I would need to verify. I need to check on vacuum at idle as I don't ever really pay attention.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 06:21 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to post an update on inline pumps as I have been doing an experiment for the last 2 years. My primary finally took a dump on me (probably related to the backpressure of pushing through the inline pump). So the pump lasted me I would estimate a year and a half from the time I started only switching it on at 5psi instead of running it full time.

I am now going to do a home fabricated dual in tank setup and ditch the inline. I will have about $270 in parts so far (including pumps) and I will probably give my bud another $100 or so to help me setup my sending unit. We are using the evap emissions line (I believe) as the second fuel line to the engine bay and Y it in the bay.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
i was looking at doing a bosch 044 inline with my walbro, as the Mirage fuel pump hanger doesn't have room for 2x pumps without removing the fuel gauge sensor. (even then it might not fit)

but now that i look into it more, why not just use the stock walbro to feed a small surge tank and the bosch 044 to feed off that. Mount it on the firewall, next to the stock fuel filter. that way i can hammer it at the track with the fuel light on if needs be (for weight saving etc).

And it'll probably only cost a couple of hundred bucks more!

Last edited by RSMike; Jun 17, 2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm actually doing something similar to that... Intank walbro255 feeding a 4"x12" cylinder surge tank w/ dual bosch 044s in parallel feeding from the surge tank via -6 lines into a Y... then off to the rail via -8 line. Custom 1/2" OD fuel rail to ID2000 injectors. Finished off by a Weldon FPR w/ return line back to the top of the surge tank w/ another relief return from the surge to the main tank's return.
Here's the link w/ a pic:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-w-pics-9.html

-Tom
Old Oct 15, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalSRTrida
thanks for the defense there man!

i guess im more so curious of what people have gotten out of a single intank 044(w/ a sock on it like stock/or intank 255s) on gas. 1 pump = less chance of error/problems, which is what i am looking for.
You can't run a single 044 in the tank, unless you custom fit a top like the CnC'd Full Blown. The reason most people run the 38mm 255 Walbros or similar is that they fit in the modified molded plastic factory fuel pump assembly. If you want to go any bigger, you have to have a custom fuel pump assembly.

If you want to run a single pump, the 044 will not be enough for big HP cars with E85. You'd have to go with a Weldon high pressure pump or similar.