Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

sucess with inline pumps?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sucess with inline pumps?..and a rendition of my own DIY parallel twins.

currently im rocking a dual 255 pump setup i did at home myself. all parallel.
1 intank. 1 external. -6 to the Y, then -8 to the rail.

for as cheap as it cost me, i cant complain. only issue is you need to keep the car at minimum 1/8 tank to prevent external pump starvation. not a big deal. but something that would be nice to not worry about.

has anyone ran a 255 intank and 255 inline? i've read about external pump scavenging, causing pump failure (thus a need for a surge tank after the intank)..but yet have seen anything confirming or denying that claim.

ive also read that a higher flowing pump, such as the 044 inline after the 255intank will prevent any scavenging or w/e.

ive also even considered a single intank 044 but not sure if itll meet my demands (6-700hp)...tho i do have a 250psi meth pump and an m14 nozzle...so i have a S*** ton of meth/h2o to make up for any slack..

im just trying to simplify my fuel setup by eliminating atleast the parallel pump aspect of it and converting to inline's or a single 044.

just looking for any advice.

no..dont care for the fullblown/buschur setup either...otherwise id just stick w/ my twins setup that cost me 100$ to convert to.

Last edited by norcalSRTrida; Dec 7, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

any pics of said set up?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 07:40 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I run a walbro 255 in tank and a bosche 044 inline in series on the stock fuel line and I will say your parallel setup will flow better. My inline setup is supporting around 550whp right now on E85 and probably more like 650whp on race fuel with my 1150cc injectors.

I was actually thinking of going parallel like you except there is the whole how to get a second line out of fuel tank and make sure the second pump always has fuel to it. I will try upgrading to 1850cc injectors first and see if my inline setup will support 600-650whp on e85, which is my goal when I build my engine.

Last edited by fre; Dec 7, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 07:53 PM

Not to be n *** but y would u need to change up ur setup. If u look at the top people cars some of them run the double pumpers with no problem. I would say look at there setups then decide from there
Old Dec 7, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

i must say CivicMag is right why make things difficult when the answer is right in front of you..... Just my thought...
Old Dec 7, 2009, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can answer why. Creativity, desire to make something that is your own not just buy something anyone else can buy. If I can make it, and have it accomplish the same task, reliably, while saving around 300 dollars if not more.... the question now makes it seem like YOU are both crazy for not making something....
Old Dec 7, 2009, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
I can answer why. Creativity, desire to make something that is your own not just buy something anyone else can buy. If I can make it, and have it accomplish the same task, reliably, while saving around 300 dollars if not more.... the question now makes it seem like YOU are both crazy for not making something....

thanks for the defense there man!

i didnt have the $ to fork out for a dual pump setup. not alot of people do in this day w/ this economy. like i said, aside from the addition of an external 255, the price to make a twins, cost me like $100.

i made this twin pump setup a year ago. works PERFECT. no complaints. no issues w/ function, or drivability. just idk. i feel like i want something with less worries. i have a 6262, JMF intake mani, custom equal length manifold, crower 280 cams (not BC's), etc etc. The last thing i want with a 6-700hp setup is complexity. i guess im more so curious of what people have gotten out of a single intank 044(w/ a sock on it like stock/or intank 255s) on gas. 1 pump = less chance of error/problems, which is what i am looking for.

ill try to get to answer a few people's questions in here since i saw a few in here and in pm's ask about my twin setup..
Old Dec 7, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be interesting to see a picture or diagram of the setup as well as how you have the lines laid out. I have heard stories of people burning out their inline 255 from one issue or another, and an overflow or secondary tank just seems like a PITA.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 09:41 PM

check my signature. Walbro 255 feeding a bosch 044. Trick is too mount the bosch after the fuel filter for best results. I did those numbers below on a 38psi base fuel pressure, I ran out of injector on E85 (1450s) at 106% IDC, but keep in mind if I had more dyno time, I would of ran a 48-50psi base pressure with hesisition, it would support 720-740whp on E85...guaranteed. Simple and very effective, you must have an aftermarket afpr to do this (I run a fuelab), oh yea 100% stock fuel/feed lines as well.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo
any pics of said set up?
Originally Posted by fre
Well I run a walbro 255 in tank and a bosche 044 inline in series on the stock fuel line and I will say your parallel setup will flow better. My inline setup is supporting around 550whp right now on E85 and probably more like 650whp on race fuel with my 1150cc injectors.

I was actually thinking of going parallel like you except there is the whole how to get a second line out of fuel tank and make sure the second pump always has fuel to it. I will try upgrading to 1850cc injectors first and see if my inline setup will support 600-650whp on e85, which is my goal when I build my engine.

yea i know my parallel's will flow alot more, but i dont need anything massive for 6-700hp (at sea level).

-i drilled the canister and fitted a -6 bulkhead to it. make sure it has a teflon washer seal to ensure no fuel leaks.
-on the tank side of the bulkhead i attached a -6 barb.
-from there i ran push-lok line from the barb to the bottom back of the fuel tank. -to ensure that the fuel line doesnt sway drastically (some sway is ok because itll sway whatever way your fuel is moving) or 'lift' i slid a decently heavy weight up the line. to prevent the weight (i have no clue what the weight is..sorry...think of a weight that is like a fish weight, but w/ a hole thru the middle of it large enuf to slide a -6 hose thru it. lol)
-to ensure the weight wouldnt come off, i tightened a 3/8" fuel injection clamp to the bottom of the line. that allows the weight to sit at the lowest point keeping the fuel pick up at the very bottom.

-on the outside of the fuel canister where the bulkhead is, i ran a -6barb. from there a -6 line to 1 end of a "Y" connection. a -6 line from the intank pump runs from the pump to the other end of the "Y" connection.
-from the Y it just runs -8an pushlok line from the adapter to the regulator. pretty simple.

my whole point of making this was to be "cost effective", yet as efficient as the 'big boy' kits...as this will let me take the car to the 800's without issue so long as my other fuel components can handle it (injectors, rail, line size).

2 key components to this kit i made for my car:
- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-65160/ that is the Y block you would want to use. $25
- http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Push...64426/10002/-1 cheapest fuel line, yet durable. 250psi rated. says not for use with gas, but i soaked a piece in gas for a week and checked back. no swelling or deterioration. to this day its still perfect.
i bought a 10ft roll of -8 and like 15 or so of -6 (for the pumps, and will need some length for the fuel return).

ill look for which fittings i used exactly, but basically, you will just need 1 -6 bulkhead fitting w/ teflon washer that goes on the canister, and 2 -6 barbs that go on both sides of the bulkhead. pretty simple...and with a lil creativity, you can create your own twin pump setup for a very very cheap.
if you run an external 255, it comes w/ the necessary wiring and -6 barbs to screw into the pump.

i also have the wiring diagram in order to run the twins, that i will need to look for to help you guys out. i ran the 2nd pumps relay independent from the intank so that if 1 or the other failed, atleast the car would still operate on a single pump.

well, this thread took a turn from the original topic. lol. please note, i dont recommend this if you are an autocrosser or roadcoarse guy. the possibility of fuel starvation IS there. i've yet to witness it myself so long as my car is above 1/8 thank (it can go as low as 1/16 cruising, but dont go WOT below 1/8 tank). if you are either of those 2, get the full blown setup and get a splash shield.

ill try to boot up my olddd laptop sometime this week, and post pics just to help give a visualization, but hope this somewhat gets the ball rollin for some people on creating their own DIY twin pumps capable of 800hp for cheap materials-wise.

so back on topic...any experience anyone, with a single 044 intank? if so what's its hp capabilities?

mike
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1slowlaser
check my signature. Walbro 255 feeding a bosch 044. Trick is too mount the bosch after the fuel filter for best results. I did those numbers below on a 38psi base fuel pressure, I ran out of injector on E85 (1450s) at 106% IDC, but keep in mind if I had more dyno time, I would of ran a 48-50psi base pressure with hesisition, it would support 720-740whp on E85...guaranteed. Simple and very effective, you must have an aftermarket afpr to do this (I run a fuelab), oh yea 100% stock fuel/feed lines as well.

exactly what i was looking for! thanks for the post man

so..if i slapped my external parallel 255 into inline-style, would i have pump cavitations? and if so, why on the 255, and not on the higher flowing 044?

that is what confuses me. i have an idea as to why, but i like to learn instead of assume.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
It would be interesting to see a picture or diagram of the setup as well as how you have the lines laid out. I have heard stories of people burning out their inline 255 from one issue or another, and an overflow or secondary tank just seems like a PITA.

yea, ill try to get to that sometime this week. it is on my old laptop that i havent booted up in a year, so forgive me on getting some time to get to it...

the inline 255 shouldnt burn if its parallel...unless that is, you drive your car on E and starve it...

it all depends on how you do your fuel system, but the way i did it, or if you get the buschur or full blown intank setup, there is no need for a secondary/surge tank...which is good.

my whole goal for the car as a whole, is simplicity. eliminate complexity, and in the long run you'll have a issue-ridden high hp vehicle easy to pinpoint issues when there are some. lol
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fre

you ever get any stumbles/starving from fuel cavitation running your setup that way?
any pics
i have 1150s as well, and would like to push my setup to 650-700 w/ the 6262.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have dual in-tank Walbro pumps and have no problems with fuel starvation at 1/8 tank even at the track. I'm also using the stock vent line to run two fuel lines down into a wye with a -8AN out into the rail. Car currently puts out 640whp.

I've seen a test somewhere that fuel pumps in series don't support as much power compared to parallel.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:38 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by norcalSRTrida
you ever get any stumbles/starving from fuel cavitation running your setup that way?
any pics
i have 1150s as well, and would like to push my setup to 650-700 w/ the 6262.
I ran two inline walbro pumps and they both burnt out on me. Put the Bosche in there and haven't had an issue since just FYI. No I don't get any stumbles or starvation. Keep in mind I only run on the in tank pump until I hit 5psi of boost and then I have the second one kick in via a signal from the AEM.

As far as mounting the bosche after the fuel filter, we don't have a fuel filter except the sock on the in tank pump so that shouldn't be an issue. I mounted my pump against the firewall on the driver side. When I had it running all the time it was a bit loud and annoying, but now I can't even hear it when it kicks in at 5psi.

I am happy to hear another person is supporting 650whp on E85 with the same setup (1slowlaser). Looks like I just need larger injectors.

Last edited by fre; Dec 8, 2009 at 06:42 AM.

Quick Reply: sucess with inline pumps?