Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

IS it my transfer case????? vid inside

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I have something similar. Mine started when I launched my car with 4 people in the car. Combined weight of 700-750 lbs we estimated. Dont ask me why I did it.

Anyways mine starts right around 50 mph.

This video clip is similar to how mine sounds like. The sound does go away when I'm accelerating, but is most audible during very light throttle. Just enough throttle to barely keep speed. Only my sound oscilates more than this video (wavey sound).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zz9J...eature=related

I contacted the author of the posted video clip above. But he doesnt know what it is either.

So far I have replaced the clutch and transmission. I'm guessing its the transfer case because it comes from around that area, or at least I think it does.

No out of the ordinary shavings or chunks in the fluid either.

All the confirmed transfer case going out video clips I have heard have a siren sound. Mine is not like it and neither is yours.

I noticed your sound goes away when accelerating as well?

Also to add I have put 6,000 miles since then with no change in sound or symptoms
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it improve or worse as you turn to the left? The right? Alot of times wheel bearings improve noise-wise depending on which direction you turn.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Anyways mine starts right around 50 mph.

This video clip is similar to how mine sounds like. The sound does go away when I'm accelerating, but is most audible during very light throttle. Just enough throttle to barely keep speed. Only my sound oscilates more than this video (wavey sound).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zz9J...eature=related
My car makes a similar noise under similar light throttle conditions, except it's at different speeds. Usually around 35mph it starts, then at 40mph it goes away, then comes back around 60, disappears between 65-70.

Thing is, my car has been making that noise since new, so I've assumed it's normal. 70+ 5000rpm auto-x launches later, the noise hasn't changed.

Every Evo I've ever been in or driven makes different drivetrain noises, though. *shrug* Still, I think people are generally too quick to say "TRANSFER CASE IS BLOWN" at the slightest noise.

Last edited by spool_sample; Dec 8, 2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that the sound sort of sounds like a wheel bearing, but lets thing about this logically...

Someone locks up the drivetrain basically and something brakes. What is it? A wheel bearing? I don't think so. How are you going to over-rev, lock up the drivetrain and somehow break a wheel bearing?

It could be another drivetrain component input shaft bearings maybe but I'm leaning towards it not being a wheel bearing.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Oh I forgot to mention. I experienced a lot of wheel hop when I did that launch which later brought this sound.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
I agree that the sound sort of sounds like a wheel bearing, but lets thing about this logically...

Someone locks up the drivetrain basically and something brakes. What is it? A wheel bearing? I don't think so. How are you going to over-rev, lock up the drivetrain and somehow break a wheel bearing?

It could be another drivetrain component input shaft bearings maybe but I'm leaning towards it not being a wheel bearing.

thats what i was saying to myself... wheel bearings don't spontaneously go bad after all 4 lock up at 60mph.

just had Ryuevoix take a ride and he's 85% sure on tcase
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

It sounds like a drivetrain noise. Wheels bearing making a whirring sound, similar to choppy tires.

If you say the sound changes with clutch engagement/disenagments, then it's certainly something in the drivetrain. A wheel bearing will make noise whether you're coasting, WOT, whatever.

I have drivetrain noise, but I gave up trying to figure out what it is, and it's not even all that bad, so I just stopped caring. IF something fails, then it fails. it's won't coast me anymore to fix it then as it would now. I just don't care anymore I drained the fluid and found little to nothing on the drain plug. That's another reason I stopped worrying. I think my noise might be a rattle/whine from the TOB.

Try draining the fluid and see what you find. Who knows, a chipped tooth might drain out with the fluid and then you'll know the answer for sure

Good to see your buddy is putting up cash for the parts Must be a good friend
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:06 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by danameisoj
thats what i was saying to myself... wheel bearings don't spontaneously go bad after all 4 lock up at 60mph.

just had Ryuevoix take a ride and he's 85% sure on tcase
I woudn't rule it out completely, a wheel bearing is a lot less expensive than a transfer case and I have seen stranger crap happen.

Try coasting out of gear and see if the noise changes when the driveline is loaded or not. A wheel bearing would be less likely to change in noise no matter what the load of the driveline is. If it is the xfer case that sucks, $2500, your buddy better start bending over. Been there, done that, except it was a launch and a big *** wheel hop. I also overrevved my car shifting to 2nd instead of 4th, hitting 10.5k with no ill effects. I didn't let the clutch out enough to get the wheels to lock up though.

Last edited by fre; Dec 8, 2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fre
I woudn't rule it out completely, a wheel bearing is a lot less expensive than a transfer case and I have seen stranger crap happen.

Try coasting out of gear and see if the noise changes when the driveline is loaded or not. A wheel bearing would be less likely to change in noise no matter what the load of the driveline is. If it is the xfer case that sucks, $2500, your buddy better start bending over. Been there, done that, except it was a launch and a big *** wheel hop. I also overrevved my car shifting to 2nd instead of 4th, hitting 10.5k with no ill effects. I didn't let the clutch out enough to get the wheels to lock up though.
its really loud as in the vid with the clutch engaged.. and when i disengage the clutch its hardly audible.
its drivetrain related.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

why not drain the fluid from the transfercase and see what it looks like and go from there....
from what i know if it was the transfercase it would be whinning really loud and it would whine even in neutral coasting
Old Dec 9, 2009, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

bring it to a shop that knows these cars or mitsu and get a professional opinion
Old Dec 9, 2009, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

I am the professional .. i just dont have chassis ears to pin point diagnose my problem at my house and my dealership i work at is 50 miles away.. I was just trying to see if any others have had sound before..

its going under the knife tonight. thanks
Old Dec 9, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

I am the professional .. i just dont have chassis ears to pin point diagnose my problem at my house and my dealership i work at is 50 miles away.. I was just trying to see if any others have had sound before..

its going under the knife tonight. thanks
Keep us updated on what you find.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Well guys .. the sound is coming from the transmission ..

the tcase has a nice whirrr to it and the transmission is where the screaming it comings from ..
Old Dec 9, 2009, 04:26 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Well guys .. the sound is coming from the transmission ..

the tcase has a nice whirrr to it and the transmission is where the screaming it comings from ..
I trashed my center diff (the part that is in the transmission), when I stripped the teeth between the transfer case and transmission. Should be interesting to see what is messed up in the transmission.

Last edited by fre; Dec 9, 2009 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: IS it my transfer case????? vid inside