Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

IS it my transfer case????? vid inside

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i split the driveshaft up and disconnected it from the rear used another carrier bearing to support it . noise is in the front ..

ive had about all i could take with this situation . i posted the car up for sale just incase someone else is feeling froggy and taking a stab at it.

worse case some one has to put a tranny in it . so i took a nice chunk off the price of my car.

it just kills me that the car shifts like brand new and drives perfect . i just need to drive with the radio up from 35-50mph lol
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:23 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, unforntunately, the only way to 100% test to see if it's a part is to swap out a different one. Too bad you don't have a spare tranny or xfer case you can borrow. As far as the wheel bearing goes, if pushing the clutch in got rid of the noise, that would eliminate that, I didn't catch that post, but new wheel bearings never hurt, they would probably take a dump on you next anyway.

Last edited by fre; Jan 28, 2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:36 PM

did you put in a new throwout bearing (clutch release bearing) when you had it all apart?

those and known to make noise dependent on when you have the clutch engaged vs disengaged like what you have described
Old Jan 29, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

the transfer case was swapped with a 5600 mile unit .. still made the noise . so i put my original one back in .

only thing i could try is a new tranny . but i need my car running for now . my dialy took a dump for im driving the evo.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver06evo9mr
def the

Transfer Case Death Whine. Shep here you come... expect $$$ in repairs
What he said. I got mine replaced under warranty. GL
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:56 AM

dam this sound just sux. in for results if anyone finds one
Old Jan 29, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolNinja
What he said. I got mine replaced under warranty. GL
didnt read much of the thread lol
Old Jan 30, 2010, 02:17 AM

could it be the gearbox
Old Feb 1, 2010, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

well i have just started exchanging emails with John shep. Hopefully he can shed some light and possibly help my situation.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yay for shep
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Final drive is most likely the culprit. the differential in the transmission needs to be changed.

I dont feel like taking it apart any time soon . so either someone buys my car with the noise or ill fix it later on ..

i got my daily going again . so im in no rush
Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
what exactly did shep say is wrong with the ring gear? You would need to change the ring gear and the output shaft to fix this...

Did he say that a tooth is broken? missing? cracked? worn? misaligned and running on the wrong part of the face of the gear? details my friend!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
what exactly did shep say is wrong with the ring gear? You would need to change the ring gear and the output shaft to fix this...

Did he say that a tooth is broken? missing? cracked? worn? misaligned and running on the wrong part of the face of the gear? details my friend!
most likely dented or bent to a way that it not really seen but itll cause as nasty noise.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
BlueEvoIX,
my car makes the EXACT sound yours does... except mine is much quieter and only happens at 65mph.

I noticed my whine after a 1-2-1 money shift.... I probably hit upwards of 10k.

In for results!
R/T and Blue.... I have the exact same noise that's in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zz9JtbWxVE

Mine happens between 3k-4k at light throttle or decel. The noise is not present when I push in the clutch even when the car is moving through those ranges. The noise is not present when in not in gear but still reving between 3k-4k.

My car is an 06 with 18k miles and is still under warranty. I'm afraid to take it in because it runs like a top and I'm sure those tards will F something up if they pull the tranny/acd. However if its the xfercase I'd take that risk.

Now one more consistency, I did a 3-4-3 shift and noticed the sound after that event. I did change all fluids and found nothing out of the ordinary. I track the crap out of my car and have changed fluids religiously. I'm still on the stock clutch as well.

We need to isolate the noise.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
R/T and Blue.... I have the exact same noise that's in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zz9JtbWxVE

Mine happens between 3k-4k at light throttle or decel. The noise is not present when I push in the clutch even when the car is moving through those ranges. The noise is not present when in not in gear but still reving between 3k-4k.

My car is an 06 with 18k miles and is still under warranty. I'm afraid to take it in because it runs like a top and I'm sure those tards will F something up if they pull the tranny/acd. However if its the xfercase I'd take that risk.

Now one more consistency, I did a 3-4-3 shift and noticed the sound after that event. I did change all fluids and found nothing out of the ordinary. I track the crap out of my car and have changed fluids religiously. I'm still on the stock clutch as well.

We need to isolate the noise.
I've changed my clutch and transmission with a completely different core. Same noise still there.

I'm afraid it has to be the transfer case. Too much money to spend right now for it so I'm gonna live with it till it gets worse then upgrade.

Quick Reply: IS it my transfer case????? vid inside