Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Power Loss Possible Valve Float

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeadGames
we assembled this head? A month ago?
No, you didn't. My head was a Head Games head, but I don't know if you assembled the springs and retainers. I bought a brand new Mitsu head which was reported to be ported by Headgames, since my old one had been milled enough times that I didn't want to have extensive work done to it, only to have it replaced if something went wrong. Besides, my power loss issue didn't creep up until 2/13/2009. I had the Headgames head installed in late Sept 08 through a local shop that used Head Games exclusively to my understanding. I did have the head looked over at RR&B last month. If I would've waited, I could've taken you guys up on your offer, which I think was stellar.

Sorry for not posting up the logs sooner. I've been pretty busy. I've also recently switched to another laptop. Seems my other ones keep dying.

I'll get a log up soon. There is one where I left Airflow logging, which would be a perfect example where you all can see Airflow ramping up properly, yet the power loss still happens. I should have that log up tomorrow.

This is just a weird issue, and I'm not an expert on valve springs, retainers, or motor internals. I'm just trying to eliminate every possibility I can.

I really appreciate all the help so far.

Last edited by MadMsheen; Dec 11, 2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've attached two pull logs. The pull logs go to the two graphs below respectively. The dip at 4500-ish isn't as prevalent in these pulls, but the power loss after 5000 RPM is evident.

http://www.jba3.com/madmsheen/11-07-2009%20Pulls.xls

Again smoothing factor 1 on Mustang simulated numbers.

It's funny that after adjusting my BOV a little the power loss at 4000 nearly disappeared. The power loss at the top is still there but seems minor. (That graph and pull aren't shown.)

I have a Synapse Synchronic to replace my HKS SSQV. Just waiting on the hose so I can install it.

Thanks again for the assist.