Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My 2.4l Build and 2.0 History

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2.4l Build and 2.0 History

I have owned a 03 for a while now ands just been an enjoyable modding process. Id just buy something everyweek and put it the following week to keep me busy and out of trouble. It hasnt even reached 50k yet more like 46k and still stock head and bottom end.

Mods as a 2.0:

HKS 272 cams, BR Ported Evo 9 Turbo, PPI Ported EM, BR SS O2 Housing, LMS Meth Kit M10 jet 100% meth, PTE 780cc Inj, TTR UICP, BR LICP, CBRD Slim Rad, Mishimoto Lower Thermostat, 4" ****ty FMIC (gone now), HKS Anniv. Ed. Exh TB (no cat), GM BCS, ACT Clutch & Flywheel ( gone now cant shift for ****), and jdm map.

Here is how she sat over the summer.

With the mods listed above sittint on crappy fuzions it went with me driving 12.3 @ 116 with 1.7 60' weighing in at 3330 with me in it. I got a couple videos Ill post up here of those runs. I dropped my tire pressure last time out to like 15 psi in the front and a lil less in the rear still couldnt get traction.

With that said I have been debating on what type of motor to build with the winter here and decided to go with a 2.4l. I managed to come by a good block and crank from a dohc ecplise from a local guy that bought it as a spare for his drag dsm.

So right now its in a local machine shop by the name of R. Johnson and Sons. Where it will may also be getting built. There its getting cleaned, decked, inspected, and all that good stuff. Im having the bore checked obviously because I would like to keep it the standard bore but Russ likes to bore it out on a fresh build just to make sure it is true. So Im still up in the air about that. I wanted to build the motor myself but I would have to out source a lot of tools and shop time seeing I dont have my own yet. So I figure its better if he does it. He likes to do all the work anyway and that way he warranty's it.

For the short block Im ditching the stock crank and going with a manley forged 100mm crank, along with their pistons, and most likely their Turbo Tuff rods also. It's a toss up between those and MAP's Howard's Racing Rods. I need to hear from Russ about the bore for the cylinder's and crank before I can even order either the pistons or bearings.

As for the head I have all the parts needed for that already including ttp spec big bore lifters, supertech dual springs and retainers, supertech nitrided valves, manley valve locks, and ferrea valve guides.

I decided to do the porting on my own and save the money along with building the head. Ive got some pictures of the progress as I go. I need constructive critisicm not ball busting. Its still rough and need to be smoothed and blended.

Heres a pic of the last of the valve chambers to be ported. I left it for comparison. All the valve chambers were very mis shapen from core shift as Aaron (John Bradley) has decribed here on Evom.

Heres how they sit now awaiting finishing.
Intake Side Valve Chambers

Intake Side Ports

Exhaust Side

Exhaust Ports

Old Dec 9, 2009, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Heres a few videos. All my runs were usually 12.3 some 12.4's. But thats all I could get out of it as it sat with my own tune, meth, and 30 psi.

Heres a pic of the engine bay with the meth kit and an interior shot of the screen.

The car on BR MD at the 08 shoot out it made 288/288 with a cat and no meth and no ported em.

Alright so I guess its long enough. Just figured Id post up what ever I could to make it more eye appealing. Im open to any advice on the 2.4l build or head or anything else.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks to be a great project as I am doing this myself. I just need to find a 4G64 block and get a new crank. What turbo will you be running if you don't mind me asking? I am wondering if a 2.4L with Full-Race's Twin Scroll kit on E-85 would be a great choice.........A friend of mine runs the Howard Rods on his Evo 8 and they are holding up real strong so I will be leaning towards those rods. I am also curious on the bore of the cylinders. As for the head, I would personally get it professionally done. Yes, money is tight especially around the holidays but nothing beats a nice, clean, freshly ported head that has been bench flow tested. Good luck to you on the build and I can't wait to see the results. I'll post up my build sometime this month too!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

As for which turbo Ill be running I was going to go with the black and keep it stock appearing but I dont think its going to be enough for the 2.4l and higher rpms. So with that in mind and I want to keep it twin scroll I think Im leaning towards a t4 hta 35r or if precision sells twin scroll 6262's itll be one of those two.

If your in the neighborhood for a block and crank let me know. I actually have a 100mm crank for sale that is balanced and polished. Just waiting for it to come back from machinist. Ive decided to go with a Manley crank.

As for my head Ill be finishing up the ports and valve chambers and then Im taking it to a local bench flow and see what happens from there.

Its not that money is the issue its more of that fact that Id rather do all the work myself. Just this way I can say that the car was built buy me ya know. Only problem with that is I dont have all the tools to do everything yet so it sometimes cost more for myself to do it and outsource certain parts of it that just have it all done by someone else with all the tools.

Thats where Im at with my block. I have the machinist prepping it but I really wanted to put it together. But I have been leaning towards Russ (machinist) just doing it all so its all in the same place being put together.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah unfortunately if I had known sooner I would have contacted you but I have found a block and crank. Thank you for the offer though. I am curious as to what kind of results you get from porting it yourself then getting it bench flow tested. I completely understand on where you are coming from when you say you want to do the work yourself. Personally I prefer this and feel connected to the car. I finally decided on what I wanted to do exactly. I am going to keep stock bore with high compression (10:1) because I want to run E-85. As for the internals I am still unsure but I am definately leaning towards maybe running an FP black and see what kind of results I come up with. Also what kind of clutch are you getting? Exedy is too much in my opinion so I will be going with a QuarterMaster Twin Disc.

Last edited by MuslimEvoFreak; Dec 27, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Any updates?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:53 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I trying not to come off mean .. but you should look into buying a new head .. Did you use a burr bit ? Looks like you hit the valve seat and a couple guides ..
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:04 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ thats what i was thinking, guides and seat have been hit, and the poting/polishing is horible,, sorry but it is what it is.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:37 PM

Back in my broke **** cow-ledge days when dsm.org was the only forum, i purchased a junk yard head. I practice porting that head then showed it to those who know better than I for the thumbs up.

I then took my conquest head apart and ported it and it came out fantabulious. I started detonating after the port job but it pulled a whole lot harder. It was my turbo 101 car so a little detonating did not hurt much.

ANyways thats the route you should have gone. Lets say you made 15hp with the port, but you lost 10 now being that the valves will not be seating right. You dont want to touch the valve seats at all. Also, it is not uncommon to have a little bit of the valve guide ported some, yours however is done a little to much.

Whats golden is the sand drum that comes with the dremel, it takes off a good amount of material and it smoothens it out a lot better then the cutting bits you used.

Happy boostin.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

what 2.4 came from an eclipse with a dohc that will work with our evo head??? toss that head and get ur self a buschur stg 3. that port job looks horrible.....
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

my 2.4 will consist of manly billet crank. im thinkin gof going wiht either the manlly turbo tuff or ttp spec groden rods. cant decide yet. 87mm 9:1 wiseco 1400hd pistons. buschur stg 3 head. kelford 280/272 cams powered by a pte 5857.. ****s gonna be sick.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
His guides can be replaced...
Seats... I dunno.
To his defense he hasn't finished... although it looks like he was pretty rough with the rest of the head.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:53 PM

I say keep the head and try to finish it and make it nice and smooth, however dont install it. Use it as practice.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by exhaustdepot
I say keep the head and try to finish it and make it nice and smooth, however dont install it. Use it as practice.
FWIW, I second this. Everyone needs practice. Finish it up and move on

Good luck
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Yah Im not worried. I probably didnt explain myself as well as I should have on the head. Its getting all the valves re cut and a 5 angle valve job along with new ferrea guides.

Since those pictures I have been finishing the head. Who ever thought it was done was far off.

Here is what the intake ports look like along with the chambers.

The Head with Intake and Exhaust ports finished awaiting guides to be pressed out and finished.

My pistons and rods selection. Howards Racing Rods from MAP along with Wossner Pistons from MAP.

Quick Reply: My 2.4l Build and 2.0 History