Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dynoflash is da shiznit! 312 whp on ****ty gas!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2003, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynoflash is da shiznit! 312 whp on ****ty gas!

First of all I would like to thank Big Al for working on my car.....

I currently have walbro fuel pump, hks 272's, 3inch tb exhaust, mbc and AFC.

Anyway, I called up AL and left a message inquiring about the Dynoflash. He calls me back the same day and asked me If i can do it at 1'clock on friday.

I usually put 94 octane on my car all the time.... But I didn't wanna lose my appointment.....So I just went there thinking the Sunoco right by pruven had 94.... But ****, the gas station only had 93 octane, I was running on empty so I was forced to put in about $10 of gas...

I went to pruven and met AL. I asked him all my dumb questions and he went ahead and started doing his magic.

First dyno run, AL game the thumbs up; and signaled 315whp. At this point I was pumped!

Second Dyno run, car made 325whp.

Third run, car made 331. 4th run made 332. I was happy.

But all of sudden, my car started losing some serious power.... It went all the way down to 312whp...He made about 6 dyno passes in my car trying to find out about the power loss .. He then asked me what kinda of gas I put in my car and I said 93oct, that's when he said "STUPID MISTAKE, MAN!; ... He the thought that the gas that was in there was a piece of ****.... He explained to me that probably the reason my car made those power in the beginning is that I still had some 94 octane left in the fuel line...After that was gone the piece of **** gas took over....

Regardless, my car felt a lot faster. when i left pruven. Totally smooth and the turbo kicks in with almost no lag. As a matter of fact going home, I ran an m3 and smoked him by 2 and half cars from 50 to 120.

I have no doubt that Al can make my car into 325whp or maybe more with my current mods if i had the right gas in the car!

The best part about this, is that Al promised me that I can just call him again and make an appointment with pruven to do it over again when I have the right gas in the car.... He said that I only have to pay for the Dyno time..... That's cool.... I call that customer service....

Last edited by EvoOcho; Oct 25, 2003 at 09:20 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 09:22 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Re: Dynoflash is da shiznit! 312 whp on ****ty gas!

Originally posted by EvoOcho

Anyway, I called up AL and left a message inquiring about the Dynoflash. He calls me back the same day and asked me If i can do it at 1'clock on friday.

I usually put 94 octane on my car all the time.... But I didn't wanna lose my appointment.....So I just went there thinking the Sunoco right by pruven had 94.... But ****, the gas station only had 93 octane, I was running on empty so I was forced to put in about $10 of gas...

I went to pruven and met AL. I asked him all my dumb questions and he went ahead and started doing his magic.

First dyno run, AL game the thumbs up; and signaled 315whp. At this point I was pumped!

But all of sudden, my car started losing some serious power.... It went all the way down to 312whp...He made about 6 dyno passes in my car trying to find out about the power loss .. He then asked me what kinda of gas I put in my car and I said 93oct, that's when he said "STUPID MISTAKE, MAN!; ... He the thought that the gas that was in there was a piece of ****.... He explained to me that probably the reason my car made those power in the beginning is that I still had some 94 octane left in the fuel line...After that was gone the piece of **** gas took over....

Regardless, my car felt a lot faster. when i left pruven. Totally smooth and the turbo kicks in with almost no lag. As a matter of fact going home, I ran an m3 and smoked him by 2 and half cars from 50 to 120.

I have no doubt that Al can make my car into 325whp or maybe more with my current mods if i had the right gas in the car!

The best part about this, is that Al promised me that I can just call him again and make an appointment with pruven to do it over again when I have the right gas in the car.... He said that I only have to pay for the Dyno time..... That's cool.... I call that customer service....

Pretty good results but could the loos in power be due to secondary fuel and timing maps rearing their head?
Old Oct 25, 2003, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

This post makes no sense. Either your car did make it to 331 or not.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:16 PM
Account Disabled

Re: Dynoflash is da shiznit! 312 whp on ****ty gas!

Originally posted by EvoOcho

Thanks!

What happened here is the Sunoco gas station in front of Pruven uses a two gas BLEND system. They have 94 octane and 89 - when you buy the gas at the pump the pump actually blends the gas to get the intermediate octane blends. This poor chap came by with an empty tank and the Sunoco had run out of 94. He thought he was buying 93 - but it was 89!!!

Anyway - although we did get him a good tune at 312 whp with the gas he had in there - it was far short of what we felt the car could do with the right gas.

Thats why we want to re-tune him as we think his car can hit 350 whp with some decent gas - AND - the addition of the Pruven Fuel Pressure regulator kit to pump up the boost as his stock injectors are also maxed out at 100% duty cycle at the 330 whp level

VERY good things are in store for this car with the right gas and the higher fuel pressure!

Please call me tues am - I should be headed back to Pruven on Tues afternoon to finish that blue Evo you saw there
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

That makes more sense. I was going to say that there is no way 94 would give a 20hp advanntage over 93..but being it was more likely 89 I understand the hp difference.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

I never thought about this beofre but it makes sense.

Is this blending method used for all of Sunoco's octane levels between 87 and 94 octane? What about other brands?
Old Oct 26, 2003, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Dont mind the ignorance here. It is going against noone, BUT how in the hell do you ask for 93 octane and the pump shells out 89??? Did someone bring this to thier attention?? Id be pissed as **** if i was getting gas there or anywhere that had that proble. ESPECIALLY if the dyno run hadnt taken place. You would have never known.
There is something wrong there.
If sunoco there is pulling some **** then they need to be reported.
They are scamming people.
How can they justify the price for 93 octane fuel then?

Something doesnt sound right.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 07:01 AM

Re: Re: Dynoflash is da shiznit! 312 whp on ****ty gas!

Originally posted by DynoFlash
Thanks!

What happened here is the Sunoco gas station in front of Pruven uses a two gas BLEND system. They have 94 octane and 89 - when you buy the gas at the pump the pump actually blends the gas to get the intermediate octane blends. This poor chap came by with an empty tank and the Sunoco had run out of 94. He thought he was buying 93 - but it was 89!!!

Anyway - although we did get him a good tune at 312 whp with the gas he had in there - it was far short of what we felt the car could do with the right gas.

Thats why we want to re-tune him as we think his car can hit 350 whp with some decent gas - AND - the addition of the Pruven Fuel Pressure regulator kit to pump up the boost as his stock injectors are also maxed out at 100% duty cycle at the 330 whp level

VERY good things are in store for this car with the right gas and the higher fuel pressure!

Please call me tues am - I should be headed back to Pruven on Tues afternoon to finish that blue Evo you saw there
COOL.... I'll definitely do that....
Old Oct 26, 2003, 07:12 AM

By the way, when I finished all that bad gas in my car... I filled it up with 94 octane.... I reset the ecu.... My car feels even faster now....

Dynoflash is the ****.....! Big Al is da MAN.. Nothing in my opinion is better than watching your car on the dyno ... Making sure that your car is reliably making the power...

You can't beat that! To all the peple in the tristate or even driving distance... you have to get this....

Al is a dedicated tuner.... All those times that he spends tuning these cars can't be healthy for him! After I left Pruven, I felt like I smoked about 20 packs of Newports...
Old Oct 26, 2003, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by perfworks
Dont mind the ignorance here. It is going against noone, BUT how in the hell do you ask for 93 octane and the pump shells out 89??? Did someone bring this to thier attention?? Id be pissed as **** if i was getting gas there or anywhere that had that proble. ESPECIALLY if the dyno run hadnt taken place. You would have never known.
There is something wrong there.
If sunoco there is pulling some **** then they need to be reported.
They are scamming people.
How can they justify the price for 93 octane fuel then?

Something doesnt sound right.
I can appreciate those comments toward Al. I had the flash done and it was the best mod you can start with by far.

BUT i would like if you could comment on this please.
The above quote from my prior post i mean

Last edited by perfworks; Oct 26, 2003 at 09:20 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 08:39 AM
MP5
In Timeout

It is illegal to misrepresent octane ratings thats why official weight and measure stickers are on all despensing pumps. So how even if sunco uses a mix process able to sell a customer 89 instead of the mixed higher #??? Al are you sure you didnt get det causing the car to go to secondary safe maps??
Old Oct 26, 2003, 09:52 AM
In Timeout

That is what I was thinking, If this car has 2 maps if it does find problems I am sure that it goes to the 2nd map. I know my NSX had the same deal but worse! Say you added 10% fuel, the car stock ecu would start pulling it out because it would see the change. That is why the only option is a stand alone for this car. It undoes what you changed :-) Took a while to find that.

Originally posted by MP5
It is illegal to misrepresent octane ratings thats why official weight and measure stickers are on all despensing pumps. So how even if sunco uses a mix process able to sell a customer 89 instead of the mixed higher #??? Al are you sure you didnt get det causing the car to go to secondary safe maps??
Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Ryanmcd2
That is what I was thinking, If this car has 2 maps if it does find problems I am sure that it goes to the 2nd map. I know my NSX had the same deal but worse! Say you added 10% fuel, the car stock ecu would start pulling it out because it would see the change. That is why the only option is a stand alone for this car. It undoes what you changed :-) Took a while to find that.

If you were adding it via piggyback then yeah it would pull it. In closed loop the piggy wont work well when you have feedback from the pesky O2 sensor.
It the case above, either the car had 89 octane in it or it didnt. I just cant understand how they gave him 89 and everyone thinks its an acceptable excuse.
Something isnt right.

If they are selling that then they are comitting fraud. If in fact they didnt then there is another problem with the mapping
Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:40 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by perfworks

If you were adding it via piggyback then yeah it would pull it. In closed loop the piggy wont work well when you have feedback from the pesky O2 sensor.
It the case above, either the car had 89 octane in it or it didnt. I just cant understand how they gave him 89 and everyone thinks its an acceptable excuse.
Something isnt right.

If they are selling that then they are comitting fraud. If in fact they didnt then there is another problem with the mapping
I have been pming back and fourth with other members in regaurds to the discovery of multiple fuel and ignition maps for the EVO the topic of discussion so far is the alility of the Tech Com reflash software being able to 1) reflash both maps to the "tuned" reflash- hence loosing the safety of the factory ECM to switch to a more conservative map 2) Tech com only able to flash either the safe or agressive maps- This is very bad if it is only able to flash the conservative map hence if det or a reason to go safe its really advancing- This would lead us to think of different operating (non flashable hardwritten) systems 3) the Tech com reflash software only being able to see the current running maps of the car- maybe since the hughe car to car variences in the same regions (sometime 20-30 HP ) This is horrible if the car is in conservative that is flashed past the aggressive - Some more techie types than I are pouring over info
Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:51 AM

Awesome post, those Pruven guys are the ****

Quick Reply: Dynoflash is da shiznit! 312 whp on ****ty gas!