Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

bov help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2009, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bov help

I need some help from you experts. Here is the whole story. While tuning my car we noticed some boost problems. Our first dyno pull was 26lbs. Made no adjustments and 2nd pull was 27lbs. Again made no adjustments and 3rd pull was 25lbs. Now when we looked at the 26lb pull the boost would hit 26 and then taper to around 23 then spike to 25 taper to like 21 then spike to like 23. This was all around 6k rpm. We left it like that and when i tried got wot on the street ses would flash at me (pulling timing/ knocking) around 6k rpm. Talked to a bunch of people and all suggested that i have a boost leak. I went to do a boost leak test and as soon as we pressurized the motor (at the compressor) all of the air was coming out of the bov where it hooks back up into the intake.
I have the injen intercooler piping with forge bov and forge manual boost controller. The only way we could check for leaks is by putting our hand over the bov. Noticed one little leak but i am still getting the ses flashing at me. I only went wot like 3 times just to test the before and after and nothing has changed. Would the bov leaking cause boost problems like that or would it be bov and boost controller together.
I am running an fp red with megan o2 housing, ets 4" intercooler, injen piping, forge bov and boost controller, fic 850cc injectors and blah blah blah some more stuff not really relevant to the situation. Need some advice on what to do.

Also another problem which is pretty weird is every once and a while i get a p0172 which is fuel system to rich bank 1. Now this only comes on when i get low on fuel. Once i pump gas into the car the code goes away by itself. What could be the cause of that?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you performed a boost leak test and the BOV was leaking then your "bov "is the one causing your problem . when performing a boost leak test the bov should noe open at all . The Bov only opens to dump the air when you let off the gas therefore , You need a new Bov I say go With a tial they are one of the best aroun IMO. Also, keep in mind Stock framed turbo(fpred) with internal wasgate can't hold the boost up in the rpm's lie a 35r would . That mt 0.2 cents
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

I have been told that the Megan o2 housing is not a goof combo with the fpred. Can anyone shed some light on that or is that a myth?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

Bump for any more suggestions
Old Dec 21, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
id say first off ditch the megan 02 housing....sounds like what ur describing is boost creep.......megan has a notorious issue with especially on a bigger stock frame turbo...i would say replace that with a titek or somethin like that....next if that dont fix it.....i would either tighten the preload on the wastegate or upgrade to a a better wastegate....do one of those then report back n lets us know whats up