Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine knock increasing over time

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2009 | 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
engine oil recirculating into intake pipe gunking up intercooler and pipes. The intake manifold will be affected as well. Carbon build up in the head and piston tops. Worn out spark plugs, etc. etc.

Cars need to be tuned up, and ours need more attention more frequently.
From what little change has occurred I'd agree with the above. This is known as octane creep. Carbon builds over time in any engine and the carbon getting hot can cause detonation. Also. carbon buildup changes the physical volume of the cylinder slightly, raising compression.
Old Dec 23, 2009 | 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Good thinking - his intake mani could be all icked up from blow-by, etc and no catch can.
Old Dec 23, 2009 | 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

first, if anything is ever funky with your car(tuning wise), contact you tuner,.. they are tuners for a reason. but of course posting for opinions ALWAYS helps.

second, try doing a boost leak test on your car. there are TONS of write ups all over the internet. with a MAF read car you can have the slightest leak, and that could make your car run like poo. and yes leaking air would actaully make you run rich but its a start.

i check mine at least twice a month just because i rag my car out all the time. start at the turbo inlet and fill it up with about 30psi of air. use a spray bottle with soap water and start from the turbo outlet to the intake mani. youll be supprised how many leaks your car has if youve never done this.

GL bud