Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

calling all forward facing manifolds

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to see responses from people who daily drive a FF turbo kit and what precautions you take to keep the turbo safe ie screen, filter, block-off plate in the grill, or just leave it open and hope for the best.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 08:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
If the car is going to be street driven, it would be foolish not to fit a proper filter to the intake. I've seen what happens to the leading edge of compressor wheels that have been repeatedly subjected to poorly filtered air, and the effect is the same inside of the cylinders.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

my heart is kinda set on a stm mani but i came across a killer deal on a afi ff mani. what are your thoughts on the afi manifold. idk if i like the look or the placement of the turbo. kinda like the hole right up in the bumper look and not all angled either.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I can only say what our customers are doing with our FF kit, they run filters on the road and with the size of the filter we can fit you can also run it at the track. Then the kit is supplied with a carbon fiber cover for the grille in front of the turbo, so when the weather get bad, rain/snow, they can pop the cover on and close the grille off.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mr 2.3 evo
my heart is kinda set on a stm mani but i came across a killer deal on a afi ff mani. what are your thoughts on the afi manifold. idk if i like the look or the placement of the turbo. kinda like the hole right up in the bumper look and not all angled either.
Yeah, the STM manifolds look really aggressive. I'm guessing in order to daily drive one (comfortably) you'll have to either run the turbo with a screen type filter or modify the bumper so you can fit a real cone filter in there.

I also like the Buschur kits because you can run a filter and they come with a carbon fiber screen so you can drive during inclimate weather.

Lastly, the ETS kits are really nice too and are a little cheaper than the leading brands. In which case you can also run a cone filter with them, as far as I know.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

I have a regular facing turbo GT4088 that I have been running with no filter for the past yr and have not had any problems with rain or rocks.

I did though suck a small child off the side of the road when it spooled.

Just thought I would throw that out.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joshs EVO
I did though suck a small child off the side of the road when it spooled.

Is the child okay?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have a few customers running our kit with no problems. Most of them run it without a filter but some use a screen and have no issues at all. One of our close customers DD's his car and takes it on road trips, Even without a screen he still has had no issues to date.

I'm in no way saying that something will not happen but chances are, if you are careful with what you fallow on the road you probably will not have an issue.

Thanks
-Em
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:01 PM
Former Sponsor

my friend's vr4 ran with twin 16gs open turbo ever since i knew him prolly 2 years and never had an issue. granted they were not forward facing is the only thing freaking me out lol
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:08 PM
Former Sponsor

ETS FF kit FTW

STM mani is super super nice as well
Old Dec 28, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
im the guy em was talking about and i DD my evo with no filter or anything in front of the trubo other then the mesh that comes on the bumper stock, i drove it all the way to the shootout like that and all the way back with no issues, you just gotta be careful like emery said and pay attention to everyone around you. besides 11.1 with only 24 psi on 93 pump with lots left on the table is pretty nice id say
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:21 PM
Account Disabled

AFI forward facing

Name:  017.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  71.9 KB

Name:  014-1.jpg
Size:  95.1 KB

with chrome high temp finish

Name:  011.jpg
Size:  43.8 KB

ours is purpose built the way it is and if you have any further questions please feel free to pm me
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jesse,
Does that evo ever get driven? haha. nice work.

Maybe I'm the only unlucky sap...that knows other unlucky saps... BUT

Michael from ETS took a rock to his compressor wheel when i worked with him... destroying his turbo.

I ingested copious amounts of sand/dirt from running w/out a filter for over 9 months. It also basically sand blasted the leading edge of my wheel. (don't worry...it was a neon)

I would be very wary of running w/out a filter under ANY circumstances.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 06:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Michael from ETS took a rock to his compressor wheel when i worked with him... destroying his turbo.

I ingested copious amounts of sand/dirt from running w/out a filter for over 9 months. It also basically sand blasted the leading edge of my wheel. (don't worry...it was a neon)

I would be very wary of running w/out a filter under ANY circumstances.
Seems like yesterday... Damn Rock!

Thanks for posting up the pics of our kit. If you guys want to see some crazy results check out DSM25PSI thread. Tim is the man! He always puts our products to the test

Thanks!

Michael
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVODreams
The forward facing manifold is really only an advantage to those looking to run open filter at the track to take advantage of air getting forced in the compressor as you go down the track. The bends are not an exact 90* because the turbo is tilted back just slightly. Some kits allow for a filter and some do not. If going for a kit, I would look at the Buschur as it looks to be the most complete. I see my self going down this road in the future after I string out the stock turbo on my 2.3.
Are there any other advantages? Can you run a larger turbo than you can in the conventional location?

Chris.

Quick Reply: calling all forward facing manifolds