Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Opinions on DIY Motor Re-build

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2009, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Opinions on DIY Motor Re-build

Well my question is pretty simple. Should i attempt to build my motor myself or have a machine shop do it?

I have plenty of mechanical experience, I've done all the work on my car up until this point. But i'm kind of second guessing building the motor myslef since i'll have allot of money at stake. I mean as far as special tools (besides a torque wrench and micrometer) is there anything that i would need? Since i was planing on getting a machine shop to balance everything should i just have them assemble it too?

I do have a number of friends that have built there motors and i would have them help me, but there all Datsun and Toyoda straight 6's.... ( they tell me just to build it myslef...but i don't want t anything to happen to this motor)

Just looking for opinions...

Last edited by Teal2nnr; Dec 23, 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever built a motor before? Ive never touched a mitsu before i got my 9 MR, but ive built a ton of honda race cars and motors and it has helped me greatly as far as transferring my current knowledge to use with my evo. The concepts are all the same, just different as far as looks and some of the components look different also.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

it all comes down to time when ur doing something like this. if u take your time rebuilding this motor really isnt hard at all.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ I agree. Do ur research bro and u will be fine. Its really not that bad.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

I'd say as long as you have all the right tools. Don't skimp out anywhere, take your time. Do it once, do it right.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think if you are second guessing yourself rebuilding the motor and worried about doing something wrong, I'd just have someone else do it for you. It's too much of a headache worrying about if something is done right or not IMO. I've built quite a few 1st gen DSM engines and it's not too complicated, but before I knew exactly what to do, I messed a lot of things up.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Do it yourself. The worst that can happen is that you have to pay someone to rebuild it anyways. Here's some inspiration;
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hang...bly-video.html
Old Dec 24, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
^^^ Haha ya thanks, I've build diesel motors before (boat motors) but never a high revving straight four.

I'll probably end up doing it myself, just wanted some opinions on what kind of undertaking it is.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 04:35 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Send it to Magnus Motorsports and have it done right.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

you will need the timing belt tool and i used a slap hammer to remove the intermediate shaft from the TC. other than that i cant remember any other tools u didnt already mention. i took my engine out and did all the assembly in my basement. best thing to do is get the drop in pistons and rod kits offered by some of the vendors. i was in the same boat as u not sure if i wanted to tare a completly good motor down and then have it not run but i went for it. now im happy i did because most ppl cant say that. to me if ur gonna mod ur car u need to do everything possible urself. not pay shops to do everything for u. whats the point.... my .02