Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Holset powered Evo VI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holset powered Evo VI

Here is something different. We have been using Holset's on various engines over the past few years, almost always using a twin scroll manifold. Having had good results on VW's, BMW's and others, we thought it should work equally well on an evo. So the decision was made to go down the unbeaten path and opt for an HX40 instead of the usual bolt-on Garrett's and FP's.

The project took much longer than expected due to more fabrication than expected, but after 8 weeks it runs. Datalogs for boost will be uploaded later once the tuning is finalized, but based on the initial test drive full boost seems to come at around 4500rpm.

The start of the build was the purchase of an AFI twin scroll manifold made for twin 44 Tials. The initial plan was to install an HX40 on the stock internals, with the exception of ARP head studs and rod bolts. After a local stock turbo'ed EVO VI managed to bend a rod at 1.5bar boost, we did not want to be hero's and decided to build the motor. Here is what went into the build:

Wiseco 1400HD 85.5mm pistons
Carrillo rods with CARR bolts
HKS 280's
HKS cam gears
GSC beehive valvesprings
ARP main studs
ARP L19 head studs
Fluidampr damper
#16 HX40 6 blade (aka PRO or SUPER)
AFI manifold
Twin Tial 44's
Cheapo 4" core intercooler
Everything else was fabricated

Here is the victim before having its heart torn out and injected with the above parts:

These are some pics of the early mockup. Notice how close the turbine housing is to the AC compressor.

Engine removed for installation of internals. All clearances checked and ARP mains installed here:

Wiseco 1400HD's and the Carrillo's. I was expecting the Wiseco's to have slightly different diameters and warned the machine shop that we might have to treat each cylinder differently, but I was pleasantly surprised to see they all matched:

Short block all assembled and L19's in place. It is debatable as to whether the L19's are necessary, but the extra cash outlay is minor compared to a head removal:

6 blade HX40 can be seen here:

The awkwardly located downpipe:

JDM EVO VII valve cover for kicks:

Front view with the Tial's in place:

The block had to have some material ground off in order for the turbo to clear. Some heat management precautions being taken:

The rare 6 blade compressor wheel with a 16cm^2 T4 HSG on the other side

Is that even going to fit in the little lancer!

Installing the biggest FMIC that would fit behind the bumper:

And it is in. It seems the CT9A chassis is a bit more generous in space between the manifold and radiator than the CP9A. The Tials hit the radiator on the EVO VI, and needed to be relocated to clear.

3" downpipe:

It is tight in there:

Intercooler piping finalised:

4" intake pipe:

The maze of stainless steel that is the headers and wastegate dump tubes:

Some more piping pics:

The almost finished engine bay:

I will update this thread as the tuning progresses but for now here is where we stand. Recommended? Not really unless you like fabricating. Good value for money? No, not when you can get the Reds and Blacks and make good power almost instantaneously. Good spool? Considering the turbo is reputed to flow around 70lb/min I think the spool is decent on a 2L, and comparable to other 2L non-4G63 motors we've Holset'ed.

Last edited by jassem99; Jan 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old Dec 27, 2009, 08:00 AM

Hi,
It sure is nice to see some hx-40 super builds popping up here also.

is there a reason you didn't go for this housing since you are running external wgs?
http://virtuaalitalo.fi/media/baas/ahdin/IMG_8784.JPG
Might have helped with some of the clearance issues + allowed for a smoother curve on the DP.
Btw nice looking manifold, whats the inner diameter on those tubes? Here is a log from 38mm vs 42mm inner diameter manifold tubing on a hx-40 super (#14 afaik) on a 2l setup.
http://virtuaalitalo.fi/media/sarja_spooli4.gif

br,
lekonna
Old Dec 27, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Wow. Great looking set up. I like how that downpipe/o2 housing came out, given how close it is to the a/c compressor. Everything barely fits in there, but it looks great. Should be a complete monster.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We should merge this with the other evo holset thread that's been kicking around for a while.

Good info, nice build.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:08 AM

that is a sick setup, what are the plans for that, drag racing or hill climb? the aquamist is installed? will be installed? what injectors do you have in there? Congratulations on all the hard work.
NAB
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:15 AM

are you going to run the stock ECU with SD? or plans include something else?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by nabilsx
that is a sick setup, what are the plans for that, drag racing or hill climb? the aquamist is installed? will be installed? what injectors do you have in there? Congratulations on all the hard work.
NAB
A fast street car was the plan, but I think it got out of hand! Aquamist on hold for now since E100 + dual walbro + 1850cc injectors setup will probably be tried soon in the near future.

are you going to run the stock ECU with SD? or plans include something else?
Car has been running LINK G4 plug-in ECU for a while now. Stock ECU with SD is an option I suppose once the hardware is finalised, but for realtime tuning the LINK is needed.

Last edited by jassem99; Dec 28, 2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 01:09 AM

any work done to the Head and valves? what about the Throttle body and intake manifold, what does the future hide for these ?
NAB
Old Dec 28, 2009, 03:11 AM
Evolving Member

impressive and really different.
i would like to know the power output running 91 Octane, and then see an update using the E100.

i beleive an AMS F1 or Magnus intake will compliment the big intercooler and good IC piping installed.

what is the expected WHP, say relative to a Dyno Dynamics figures?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

wow,... im in love.
i wana do a HX40 or HX35 on my nine,.. and dayum those rods are beefy!!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Talk about a tight squeeze!!!

Nice job that is super tight!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see more Holset Evo builds, I think people will start to see them as more viable and cheaper options to other big turbo's out there in time. The DSM crowd has been running these for a long time with great success, and hopefully after tax return season I can start putting my Holset build together on my car.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:36 PM

I was thinking maybe a holset HY35 setup of a 12 or 14cm hotside for a daily driven EVO8 :-) what do you think about that?
PEACE
NAB
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

I see the anti surge cover has been blocked off. Are you expecting more midrange power? Are you running a larger turbine housing to offset any issues with surge?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 03:58 AM

I was thinking maybe a holset HY35 setup of a 12 or 14cm hotside for a daily driven EVO8 :-) what do you think about that?
PEACE
NAB
I remember that moving up from a 12cm HX35 to a 14cm HX40 on the VW did not produce significantly more lag, so I don't think I would bother with an HX35 on an EVO since the FP Red/Black is available.

Originally Posted by Flyin EVO 2
I see the anti surge cover has been blocked off. Are you expecting more midrange power? Are you running a larger turbine housing to offset any issues with surge?
That's not blocked off. That is a metal cover that reduces the turbo whistling noise apparently. Anti surge housing still works with the cover on. Turbine housing 16cm is not too large, but that's all relative.

Quick Reply: Holset powered Evo VI