Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

new clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new clutch slipping

hey everyone i put a new clutch in a couple of weeks ago and after i broke it in i hit it in 3 half throttle and it slipped. when i hit in first i grabs a lot harder. also 2 gear grabs hard but anything above 3rd slips. what could be the problem.thanks
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would adjust the clutch pedal. You've got to be not letting it engage all the way because of some kind of pressure on the fork.

Bleed the clutch cylinder, adjust the pedal, and try it again. If you still have the problem it could be an installation error of some type in which case you'll have to take her apart again. Try lowering the engagement point on the pedal in the cabin. The extra slack up top will give the clutch the room to engage all the way.

Being that it is new I would guess that the clutch pedal/hydraulic system or fork is most likely causing the issue. That's the same behavior you get from a worn out clutch so it must not be grabbing tight all the way.

Last edited by JohnDoe1984; Dec 27, 2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:40 AM

Bump, I was going to make a thread about the exact same thing...

I just replaced the clutch on my IX with a Competetion Clutch Stage 2. I triple checked everything when putting it back together. I cleaned the flywheel and pressure plate with brake cleaner a few times. I got the flywheel resurfaced. I torqued the flywheel and PP bolts with a newer Craftsman torque wrench. I installed the throwout bearing good, the ring did not pop out. Everything was done right.
I wasn't sure about adjusting the clutch pedal, so I did it as good as I could then drove a couple miles to EFI Logics (evo/subaru performace shop) and asked them to check I adjusted it properly, they said yes.

I drove for 500 miles slower and easier than I ever have. Then yesterday I noticed when I start off I hear it slip a tiny bit, like "whnnrrrrr" I tried pushing the gas halfway down and at 3500rpm in 3rd gear it slipped bad, now I smell clutch.

I just re-checked the PP bolts to make sure they were tight through the inspection hole on the tranny. Everything seems good and I'm stumped and frustrated. I've heard of people shimming the slave cylinder out? Could it be slipping just because I used the Competition Clutch TOB instead of an OEM one? Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:22 PM

was the flywheel resurfaced properly?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i believe in colder conditions certain clutches will slip until warmed up.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:29 PM

the higher gear you are in the more load the clutch will see. What kind of driving did you do with your break in? It needs to be city driving.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bryan0
Bump, I was going to make a thread about the exact same thing...

I just replaced the clutch on my IX with a Competetion Clutch Stage 2. I triple checked everything when putting it back together. I cleaned the flywheel and pressure plate with brake cleaner a few times. I got the flywheel resurfaced. I torqued the flywheel and PP bolts with a newer Craftsman torque wrench. I installed the throwout bearing good, the ring did not pop out. Everything was done right.
I wasn't sure about adjusting the clutch pedal, so I did it as good as I could then drove a couple miles to EFI Logics (evo/subaru performace shop) and asked them to check I adjusted it properly, they said yes.

I drove for 500 miles slower and easier than I ever have. Then yesterday I noticed when I start off I hear it slip a tiny bit, like "whnnrrrrr" I tried pushing the gas halfway down and at 3500rpm in 3rd gear it slipped bad, now I smell clutch.

I just re-checked the PP bolts to make sure they were tight through the inspection hole on the tranny. Everything seems good and I'm stumped and frustrated. I've heard of people shimming the slave cylinder out? Could it be slipping just because I used the Competition Clutch TOB instead of an OEM one? Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
thats the exact same thing that happened to me! ive recently installed my exedy stage 1 clutch and i drove almost 400 really easy miles then took off one day and it made a "whirring" noise and there was a faint smell of clutch.

my clutch holds STRONG in all gears ( i now have 1200 miles on it) but every once in a while ill get a very faint smell of it...but it goes away within 1 minute. its so weird and im stumped.

i even made a thread about it. nobody had a real answer...im about to adjust my pedal a bit to lower the engagement point just to see if that helps.

Sean
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
i believe in colder conditions certain clutches will slip until warmed up.
im starting to believe this a bit... as my stage 1 exedy seems to do this until warmed up! see above post.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 04:45 PM

Sean, how many miles did you have on it before it stopped slipping when you got on it? I adjusted my pedal all the way down and it still slips even though there's like an inch of free play on top.

Evonrails, yes the flywheel was resurfaced by a reputable auto machine shop. And yes, I did 500 miles of very easy driving, of which at least 400 was around town.

Also, it's been around 20deg out here lately, I've driven for a few miles to let everything warm up and it'll still do it. I'm hoping mine will turn out like halfnhalfs haha.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evonrails
was the flywheel resurfaced properly?
This guy has a point. Was the flywheel resurfaced or replaced? If it wasn't it can become "glazed" and won't hold the clutch disc properly.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:02 PM

Yes, the flywheel was resurfaced by an auto machine shop.

I just took of the intake to check out the clutch fork. I noticed there is a tiny leak in the boot of the slave cylinder and it lost a few drips of fluid onto the undertray. There is no possibility of this causing a clutch slip, right? As I understand it this would prevent the clutch from engaging, thereby making it hard to shift if anything. Its very frustrating. I might just say screw it and drive it as is for a little while then buy a new ACT clutch and flywheel. I know I didn't do anything wrong...
Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry if I'm repeating myself or causing more frustration but, to me if it's a brand new clutch it should be grabbing good. The only thing that will most likely prevent it from engaging all the way is if the clutch pedal and by extension the fork isn't allowing it to move all the way back to full engagement, identical to if someone was resting their foot on the pedal and not allowing it to spring all the way out.

If it's adjusted too far out the pedal could be hitting the upmost stop on it's throw before the clutch is all the way engaged.

To ensure this isn't the problem just adjust the engagement point of the clutch pedal significantly lower and try it. This should allow full relief of pedal pressure on the TOB and ensure full clutch engagement. Lower it until it gives you the opposite issue and is hard to disengage then raise it slightly. Try it from there.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...djustment.html
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
Sorry if I'm repeating myself or causing more frustration but, to me if it's a brand new clutch it should be grabbing good. The only thing that will most likely prevent it from engaging all the way is if the clutch pedal and by extension the fork isn't allowing it to move all the way back to full engagement, identical to if someone was resting their foot on the pedal and not allowing it to spring all the way out.

If it's adjusted too far out the pedal could be hitting the upmost stop on it's throw before the clutch is all the way engaged.

To ensure this isn't the problem just adjust the engagement point of the clutch pedal significantly lower and try it. This should allow full relief of pedal pressure on the TOB and ensure full clutch engagement. Lower it until it gives you the opposite issue and is hard to disengage then raise it slightly. Try it from there.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...djustment.html
I appreciate your reply.
I have the clutch adjusted all the way down, (all of the thread on the rod is on the side towards the rear of the car as shown in the 2nd picture in the 2nd post of the thread you've linked.) I think I've come to the conclusion that nothing more can be done and I'll just hope it gets better. If it still slips after a month and a half or so I'll drop the $ on a nicer clutch and new flywheel and spend 22 hours changing it all over again. (maybe a little less this time)
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bryan0
Sean, how many miles did you have on it before it stopped slipping when you got on it? I adjusted my pedal all the way down and it still slips even though there's like an inch of free play on top.

Evonrails, yes the flywheel was resurfaced by a reputable auto machine shop. And yes, I did 500 miles of very easy driving, of which at least 400 was around town.

Also, it's been around 20deg out here lately, I've driven for a few miles to let everything warm up and it'll still do it. I'm hoping mine will turn out like halfnhalfs haha.
my clutch never actually slipped when it was full engaged and giving it 3/4-WOT. the one time it acted up was at about 384 miles on the clutch and i was backing it out of a parking space at work...when the clutch as i was slipping it to get it moving wasnt grabbing like normal and was making that whirring sound (also had light smell of clutch). it acted up a few times that day...but really hasnt since then.

every once in a while when still cold (only a few starts from a stop) ill get a very faint smell of my clutch but quickly goes away (within a minute)..and i dont smell it again after ive driven the car for 15-20+ minutes (checking under the hood and smelling around the trans).

its a weird symptom... but its holds just fine in all gears currently. I havent touched the clutch pedal adjustment yet.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

ive thought recently that my issue might have been the high temp grease we used during my clutch swap. we greased the TOB contact points on the fork and the rod that slides down through it.

...and recently remembered my friend adding some urea grease on the input shaft on the trans... (which is pointless and not necessary)

Im thinking its MAYBE possible some grease got flicked onto either the PP or flywheel surface or clutch disk. WHo knows...... lol

at this point, my clutch is holding...so ill continue to drive it and im gonna adjust the pedal a bit just to help.

Quick Reply: new clutch slipping