Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo blankets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
The construction consists of a high temp fabric based material sandwiched between two layers of waffled inconel. I cannot remember the exact thickness, but I would guess ~3/16".
Do you think there would be any advantages to running anything in addition to the inconel blancket?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

do they make a turbo snuggy?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by chuntington101
Do you think there would be any advantages to running anything in addition to the inconel blancket?
I suppose you could further improve the ability to contain the heat within the turbine housing or exhaust manifold by adding more insulation. If you look at a turbine housing and exhaust manifold it has so much surface area and that is the killer because it radiates heat.

From what I have personally experienced it should be sufficient to add the inconel shielding without any additional insulation. I would not just go for the turbine housing, but also the exhaust manifold. I don't have access to the TTZR1 setup pics right now, but I included a pic below of something similar to what I did on that project.

Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
I suppose you could further improve the ability to contain the heat within the turbine housing or exhaust manifold by adding more insulation. If you look at a turbine housing and exhaust manifold it has so much surface area and that is the killer because it radiates heat.

From what I have personally experienced it should be sufficient to add the inconel shielding without any additional insulation. I would not just go for the turbine housing, but also the exhaust manifold. I don't have access to the TTZR1 setup pics right now, but I included a pic below of something similar to what I did on that project.

I guess more insulation will only help with matters!

On the ATP Wrap product, diose it come in standard turbo sizes? E.g. T25, T3, T4, T6?

on the manifolds, can you buy it iby the sheet like you can some other insolation??

Cheers

Chris.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by chuntington101
On the ATP Wrap product, diose it come in standard turbo sizes? E.g. T25, T3, T4, T6?

on the manifolds, can you buy it iby the sheet like you can some other insolation??

Cheers

Chris.
Chris, the shields are fabricated to fit the application, but I would bet most of the turbine housing shields are available. Once you hold one you will understand what I mean as they are very rigid once formed. What would typically happen is that you send the manifold with turbine housing and they fabricate the shielding for your specific application. Turn around time is usually 2-3 days.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

I run a titan motorsports blanket on my T76 cobra and works GREAT! I can touch it even right after a hot run! I had the hotside on my last T76 ceramic coated but NO way in hell you can touch that even if its idling! Only reason why I don't toss one on my EVO is it is a bottom mount and since the EVO is my daily and gets rained on the water would pool up in the blanket If I had a top mount I would use so it didn't hurt the pain on the hood!

Last edited by KJS1820; Jan 1, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 03:01 AM

Thanks for all the posts and info guys! Lots to read through
Old Jan 2, 2010, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think there's enough to read actually. Has any one seen a blanket formed well enough to fit the stock hotside with o2 housing? Are there any options out there that can be cut and fit at home?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the dei blanket that buschur tested ive had it since last summer when i was having over heating problems with my honda and its half size rad the work very well i could put my hand on the blanket while the car was running when you would open the hood it use to burn my face from all the heat there was none really after the blanket they hold heat very well.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

I had bought one from Titan a while back. It worked great but after a while the fabric pieces came out and made a mess all over my motor. I will buy another, most likely another brand. It was amazing to see a glowing red hotside sitting inside one of these blankets and it not getting burned all to hell.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

I have the new DEI blanket too. I haven't installed it yet, but it will go on the car before the season starts...
Old Jan 4, 2010, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cal1mr
I don't think there's enough to read actually. Has any one seen a blanket formed well enough to fit the stock hotside with o2 housing? Are there any options out there that can be cut and fit at home?
I think someone should send their stock turbo and manifold over to these ATP Inc guys and get a group buy sorted! lol

Seriously thought these inconel sheidleds look very cool (no pun intended! lol). Below is a link to one guy that made his own turbo blanket. Maybe if someone could get these Inconel shields made then they could also make a 'faberic shield' to conver the turbo and manifold to! That should give REALLY help keep the heat in.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced...rbo-kit-9.html

Cheers

Chris.

Last edited by chuntington101; Jan 4, 2010 at 04:49 AM.