Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo blankets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo blankets

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone runs a turbo blanket on their evo and does it affect under bonnet temps at all?

We have similar weather to socal here, 40 degrees celsius in summer etc and the car gets pretty hot.. currently have a full race manifold and although it's wrapped, it does get the temps up a bit, especially when stuck in traffic etc..

Would adding a turbo blanket help to keep heat away from the radiator and the rest of the engine bay or is it more of a gimmick than a real use?

Sorry if it's been discussed before but did search and couldn't find anything.. cheers
Old Dec 28, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

This therad has some good information in it:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ever-ends.html
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
By far the best that I have found and I have used their products on several projects and my own stuff as well. Not cheap, but highly effective.

http://www.atpwrap.com/html/alloyracing.html

A pair of 16G's on my old Z and a custom intake plenum cover because it sat above the exhaust manifold.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Dec 29, 2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:19 AM

I have also been looking at those turbo blankets. That info in the Buschur thread was useful. Anyone else have any experience using one of these in more of a DD application?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sold a DEI Titanium Turbo Blanket to a dude on here - I wonder if he ever put it on. I'm a ceramic guy myself.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

The DEI turbo blanket works VERY well.
I do ceramic coating for a living and have seen first hand that the blanket will stay cool to the touch even after a WOT pull. They work very well at holding heat inside the turbine housing where it belongs.......

The blanket I'm referring to is what Buschur sells.

___
Carlos Tirado
Tirado Custom Coatings
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i ran the one that titan sells and it works great! wrapping would be my second choice. ceramic is useless imo.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
ceramic is useless imo.
Have you ever researched it? It's well worth it, not useless- regardless of your opinion about it.

I would say read this thread, but looks like most of the info got deleted.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...gs-tested.html
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
Have you ever researched it? It's well worth it, not useless- regardless of your opinion about it.

I would say read this thread, but looks like most of the info got deleted.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...gs-tested.html
I have had parts coated before. Ceramic is great for looks and corrosion resistance but its nowhere near as good as a turbo blanket or wrap. How about a $1,000 bet? I hold my hand on my turbo blanket after a 1/4 mile run and you hold your hand over a ceramic coated turbine after a 1/4 mile run and whoever can keep their hand on The longest gets the money.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:43 PM

I would not say that ceramic coating is useless but I have to agree with 'n2oiroc' that blankets and wraps are way more heat resistant.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
I have had parts coated before. Ceramic is great for looks and corrosion resistance but its nowhere near as good as a turbo blanket or wrap. How about a $1,000 bet? I hold my hand on my turbo blanket after a 1/4 mile run and you hold your hand over a ceramic coated turbine after a 1/4 mile run and whoever can keep their hand on The longest gets the money.
I am with you as I think the coating is over rated for the money and cannot compete with a good solid insulated cover. With that said, if I had the money I would do both as the coating improves the bling factor. The pic below is of my buddies GT42R powered 280Z. Even with the coating you could not hold your hand over the turbine housing after hard runs, but with the ATP inconel cover it was not an issue. The difference in the ability of a turbo blanket to reduce radiant heat vs. coatings is night and day. I also used the inconel covers from ATP on the exhaust manifolds and turbine housing for a twinturbo ZR1 project I did many years back. It was amazing the ability of those covers to reduce under hood temps. I will try to dig up some pics and post.

Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

240Z Twin Turbo, i have seen a similar types of material to what you yused on your intake used to cover exhasut manifolds of WRC cars. They also use Inconel coated Ti manifolds i think! lol

How thick are the inconel turbo blankets?? they look really thin. just thinking if you could run coated housings with one of the inconel blankets and then a normal turbo blanket as well. That surley would be the untimate way to keep the heat in! lol

Chris.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I had one in trunk for about 2 month , I'm going to put it on one of these days
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chuntington101
How thick are the inconel turbo blankets?? they look really thin. just thinking if you could run coated housings with one of the inconel blankets and then a normal turbo blanket as well. That surley would be the untimate way to keep the heat in! lol

Chris.
The construction consists of a high temp fabric based material sandwiched between two layers of waffled inconel. I cannot remember the exact thickness, but I would guess ~3/16".
Old Dec 30, 2009, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

I know inconel is used in all types of industries where high temperatures are an issue. It is usually the best metal for these applications but is very expensive. I cant say from experience but I would imagine a Inconel blanket with a fabric insulator is quite effective.

Quick Reply: Turbo blankets