Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much torque will Manley H beam rods stand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SOEuro
tell your tuner to keep the TQ down on the tune and up the HP
wat?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should listen to Ted B. This man knows his sh-t!!! Go with another rod. Pretty simple.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

tuning a car , u can play with timming to either keep the tq down
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ted B
The reason why is because those H-beam rods, like Eagle, are Chinese made
Sorry for going OT but I feel this post needs to be addressed.
Seriously, you need to get off the "Crap made in China" song you keep singing. Remember, the Chinese, like most Asian countries are filled with very industrious people. You ask them to make you a quality product like Tomei does, and they will. You ask them for crap and they'll make that too. Not everything that's made in China is junk. You want to talk about the connecting rod composition or Quality Control, that's a different issue. There are some HIGH-QUALITY engines components being produced in China as I type.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
The main thing about China boils down to politics and the American economy. Saying something is "China" is like saying something is GM. I would not drive an EcoTec but I would drive a Z06.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselmd
Sorry for going OT but I feel this post needs to be addressed.
Seriously, you need to get off the "Crap made in China" song you keep singing. Remember, the Chinese, like most Asian countries are filled with very industrious people. You ask them to make you a quality product like Tomei does, and they will. You ask them for crap and they'll make that too. Not everything that's made in China is junk. You want to talk about the connecting rod composition or Quality Control, that's a different issue. There are some HIGH-QUALITY engines components being produced in China as I type.
No
Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Seriously, you need to get off the "Crap made in China" song you keep singing. ... You want to talk about the connecting rod composition or Quality Control, that's a different issue.
I've encountered enough off-spec Chinese steel during my tenure within the steel industry to harbor genuine concerns about the cheap, rebranded Chinese H-beam rods sold through the various parts houses, Eagle, Ebay, etc. And while neither of us have any idea of who (??) came up with the Chinese rods, I know enough about connecting rod technology to be certain that I prefer critical components in my expensive engine to be engineered by reputable firms with a proven track record in their respective specialties. After all, I'm dealing with a 300whp/L, high torque turbo engine, not a 80whp/L NA Honda Civic.

When the top builders and race teams forego Carrillo, Wössner, Arrow, etc., H-beam rods in favor of rebranded Chinese parts, I'll jump on board in good faith. Until then, I can afford to spend a few hundred dollars more for name brand, top tier rods in my multi-thousand dollar engine, and recommend the same in good faith.

Last edited by Ted B; Dec 31, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

The reason why is because those H-beam rods, like Eagle, are Chinese made
To the OP, the above statement is not a wise response to your question and judging from its source, not surprizing. I would contact Manley and discuss your power goals with them. THEY WILL BE BEST QUALIFIED IN DETERMINING WETHER THEIR ROD IS CAPABLE OF SATISFYING THAT GOAL. Also, if you trust your tuner, go with what he recommends. Or, you can contact any number of good vendors on here who build and tune numerous Evo's who actually KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT BECAUSE THEY'VE DONE IT SO MANY TIMES.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

i threw a rod. stock bottom end, 415 awtq on ams dyno. im now getting a 2.3 L stroker build by ams. i upgraded to OLIVER rods. im told this is good for upto 1000 awhp. it was the third tier upgrade after h beam, then i beam. are oliver chinese made?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Oliver Rods are manufactured in the U.S.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 01:41 PM
EvoM Guru

I would contact Manley and discuss your power goals with them.
FYI, this discussion was started after his tuner contacted Manley, who advised him to limit power with these rods. That shouldn't be surprising.

Originally Posted by Dr. SS
are oliver chinese made?
Olivers are completely CNC machined from billets forged in the U.S. The Chinese rods are AFAIK, all H-beams, and are rebranded under various names (e.g. Scat, Eagle, Manley, etc.). In fact, I believe Carrillo may be the only U.S. made H-beam rod.

Oliver rods are a solid choice for your 2.3L. They'll handle whatever you put through them.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
On a side note, the Manley "I" beams are American made......correct?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 02:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes, Manley's I-beams are U.S. made. For the best torque rating and power handling durability, the I-beams are what they will recommend.

They rebrand and sell Chinese H-beams to have a budget option that competes with Eagle, Scat, etc.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

FYI, this discussion was started after his tuner contacted Manley, who advised him to limit power with these rods. That shouldn't be surprising.

Fair enough. The point I'm trying to make Evom Guru is quite simple but not simple enough for you so I''ll continue with my last post in this thread.
Had you stated that the Manley H-Beams was not an adequate rod for this build and power output, I would have agreed. I would have suggested the Manley I-beam or a rod more capable than the Manley H-Beam. Am I implying that the Manley H-Beam is junk because it's made in China? No. I'm absolutely not but you are. I've spoken with 3 engine builders who are vendors here and they all stated that; Once thoroughly inspected and balanced making 600 whp with Eagles or Manley H-Beams and spinning it between 8500-9000rpm was not an issue. They have done it on numerous occassions and have never had a rod failure. But, I will be informing them that a certain Evom Guru thinks they shouldn't be using these Chinese H-Beams.

Last edited by dieselmd; Apr 9, 2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Pointless.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
In fact, I believe Carrillo may be the only U.S. made H-beam rod.
If this fact was right, it is no longer true. Announcement coming soon

Quick Reply: How much torque will Manley H beam rods stand