Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much torque will Manley H beam rods stand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 05:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselmd
But, I will be informing them that a certain Evom Guru thinks they shouldn't be using these Chinese H-Beams.
Publish it in a magazine if you like. I advise passing on any of the budget option, Chinese H-beams for high torque, high specific output applications like many discussed here. I'll reiterate that in bold font if it helps make it clearer.

You're also welcome to publish my concerns about Chinese steel products in general, which are well documented.

Originally Posted by dieselmd
Until then, quit with the fancy terminology because you aren't fooling the educated... And FYI, I have a degree in Metallurgy.
You are completely ignorant of my academic background or professional credentials, end of story.

Last edited by Ted B; Jan 1, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
If this fact was right, it is no longer true. Announcement coming soon
That sounds interesting. The only problem I see with Carrillo is the price. It would be great to have something on par with Carrillo, but at a price that was a little more affordable.
Old May 10, 2010, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed the comparison of manufacturing (in terms of country) comes into play. Still is there more a comparison of a Manley H beams to an I beam, I would be curious why the I beam would be stronger. Reading this thread it seems like it's more a question of material, manufacturing process that determines the quality rather than the design.

Also are the US manufactured H beams (eagle maybe??)?
Old May 10, 2010, 04:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by benderrodriguez
Reading this thread it seems like it's more a question of material, manufacturing process that determines the quality rather than the design.
The level of QC in metallurgy, details of design, and fastener quality all become increasingly important as the anticipated load on the rods is increased.

Originally Posted by benderrodriguez
Also are the US manufactured H beams (eagle maybe??)?
Everything from Eagle is forged in China. Manley H-beams are forged in China, but Manley I-beams are USA made. H-beams (and other components) from Brian Crower, K1, Ebay, etc., are all shipped in from China.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much torque can I beam rods handles vs H beam rods?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been playing with the 4g63t for almost 16 years. I have used every thing from eagles to GRP rods. In that time I have never seen a eagle rod brake or bend from to much power. What I have seen is rod bolts fail on them or the piston failed causing the rod to get F'ed up or the tune was junk and the car was knocking bad. The last 2.3 I built for a kid is still running andd that car has been at 590ftlbs for 5 years. The kid beats on the car every time he drives it. The thing to remember about the eagles or any china h beam is they have to me machined as they are off from the factory.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I speak from personal experience have a seen h beam do 625 torque and last 18,000 miles but with arp 2000 rod bolt